Texas school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm friend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, texas school applicants! can you update me on the status of your application process?

i just submitted all my online app to Tx Tech today, but i'm still waiting on 1 or 2 LORs before i can send in my application packets to UH, A&M, and TSU even though i had everything else complete since sept--so frustrating! still working on my UT essays, and i'm not applying to feik b/c my grades are expired.

i'll keep you updated if i hear anything, which probably won't be until dec-jan.

Members don't see this ad.

I am too applying to most Texas schools, I just need a a couple of LORs for A&M....have you takent to PCAT? I'll be taking it again this Sat...nervous...
I have a question for you..the last part of the A&M application where we are supposed to write anything that might aid us in receiving an interview, are you writing just on the line or typing on another sheet of paper?

i took my pcat in june 2007. i really don't want to take it again even though i should, but it's too late now anyway.

i attached a separate sheet for the section you're asking about. i needed more room, plus, i when i write a lot, my handwriting goes to chicken scratch.

hope this helps. good luck with your apps! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to UH applicants. PM any questions you might have, and I will answer when my time allows. I recieved a ton of help from SDN posters, and I will recipricate.:luck:

i took my pcat in june 2007. i really don't want to take it again even though i should, but it's too late now anyway.

i attached a separate sheet for the section you're asking about. i needed more room, plus, i when i write a lot, my handwriting goes to chicken scratch.

hope this helps. good luck with your apps! :luck:

Ha! I thought it was just another question with brief answer so I only wrote two sentences for that~~~I told them I am gonna graduate next year and hope that will prove my academic achievement.

Well, I am stilling working at Texas tech.....actually I was stuck at the pharmacy experience essay part because I dun know what to write about...and I know they weight a lot on the essay so I really dun want to mess this up..Could you give me some idea on where to start?

P.S. definitely needs to apply early for UH...it really helps.;)
I hope I can get an interview and get in somewhere this year....

Well, I am stilling working at Texas tech.....actually I was stuck at the pharmacy experience essay part because I dun know what to write about...and I know they weight a lot on the essay so I really dun want to mess this up..Could you give me some idea on where to start?

P.S. definitely needs to apply early for UH...it really helps.;)
I hope I can get an interview and get in somewhere this year....

yeah, i had trouble with the essay for a while, too...but i finally spit something out that wasn't fantastic, but i just wrote about what i learned from my pharmacy experience like they asked...it wasn't very long or detailed b/c they are not so much worried about the content, but more on your writing ability like the prompt says.

i'm still pissed about my advisor taking his sweet a** time on my LOR for UH. I was done with everything the first day it opened!! ugh! that's my top school of choice, too.

I sent in my applications a few days ago, LORs are in, PCAT is in, fee is in, and transcripts are in. Im assuming that I have a completed app. Anyway my question is how common is it for applicants to get all their stuff in around this time to Tech & UH? Am I really early, or middle of the pack? The reason I ask is because my stats are not that great. About 3.1 overall GPA & 3.0 science; a 83 composite on the PCAT (horrible on math - did pretty well on the other sections). How do ya'll think I'll fair against the rest of the applicant pool? I also have worked throughout all of college (UT) and currently work 40 hours a week while taking 12 hours of classes. I do pharmacy shadowing whenever I get a chance. Also I was part of a service organization and accumulated over 1000 hours of service over the past 4 years. Sorry for the rant......just hoping for some feedback for those that know how Texas pharm schools work.

I sent in my applications a few days ago, LORs are in, PCAT is in, fee is in, and transcripts are in. Im assuming that I have a completed app. Anyway my question is how common is it for applicants to get all their stuff in around this time to Tech & UH? Am I really early, or middle of the pack? The reason I ask is because my stats are not that great. About 3.1 overall GPA & 3.0 science; a 83 composite on the PCAT (horrible on math - did pretty well on the other sections). How do ya'll think I'll fair against the rest of the applicant pool? I also have worked throughout all of college (UT) and currently work 40 hours a week while taking 12 hours of classes. I do pharmacy shadowing whenever I get a chance. Also I was part of a service organization and accumulated over 1000 hours of service over the past 4 years. Sorry for the rant......just hoping for some feedback for those that know how Texas pharm schools work.

Do you have a degree? Having a degree would enhance your chances. Your stats are great, considering your huge community service hours and 83 PCAT. I think you will get an interview at UH. I am not sure about Texas Tech since I am not from there. I am going to have a advising appointment at UH on Oct 30th and get back with you about the number of applicants so far.:)

yeah, i had trouble with the essay for a while, too...but i finally spit something out that wasn't fantastic, but i just wrote about what i learned from my pharmacy experience like they asked...it wasn't very long or detailed b/c they are not so much worried about the content, but more on your writing ability like the prompt says.

i'm still pissed about my advisor taking his sweet a** time on my LOR for UH. I was done with everything the first day it opened!! ugh! that's my top school of choice, too.

Yeah...but they grade on the perception too...I am afraid of writing something I am not supposed to....:rolleyes: but anyway, i will finish it before the end of the this month. For LORs, bomb the advisor's email!!!! Did she know that you are in hurry? When I asked my professor for LOR, I told them I need to apply early so that they can cooperate.

I'm so glad to find this thread. I am also applying to most school in Texas. SO far I am done with UH and A & M. Unfortunately, my August PCAT was quite low and so I'm retaking it this Sat. I still have the Tech email to finish. That thing is quite a drag. I'm also waiting for the LORs from my prof. Do you think it'll lower my chance of getting accepted due to late PCAT score? I'm just really worried.

I believe that you are early. I think anything before December is early although I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad to find this thread. I am also applying to most school in Texas. SO far I am done with UH and A & M. Unfortunately, my August PCAT was quite low and so I'm retaking it this Sat. I still have the Tech email to finish. That thing is quite a drag. I'm also waiting for the LORs from my prof. Do you think it'll lower my chance of getting accepted due to late PCAT score? I'm just really worried.

Not at all, as long as you get everything else ready. I am done with UH and A&M too coz they dun have essay.:p I did a OK PCAT in Aug, a composite of 82 with low reading but I dun have time to retake it because of my busy academic schedule. I am going to take my chance. I asked Texas tech if my gpa can overshadow the low reading score, they said it can. So I guess if you have good gpa, an average PCAT can get you an interview.

Anyway, good luck on Sat.:thumbup:

Yes I will be recieving my degree in December.

Not at all, as long as you get everything else ready. I am done with UH and A&M too coz they dun have essay.:p I did a OK PCAT in Aug, a composite of 82 with low reading but I dun have time to retake it because of my busy academic schedule. I am going to take my chance. I asked Texas tech if my gpa can overshadow the low reading score, they said it can. So I guess if you have good gpa, an average PCAT can get you an interview.

Anyway, good luck on Sat.:thumbup:

IF you don't mind, may I know your GPA and experience? I just want to know where I stand. Thanks, in advance.

Wow. You're all ahead of me. I have not turn in one single app yet. I'm almost done with UH, halfway through Tech and I have not even started on my A&M and UIW apps. The ps and the pharmacy experience essays are the ones slowing me down for Tech. I hope I can turn in my apps for UH next week. I'm also still waiting for my transcripts from one school. Maybe this thread will motivate me to work on my apps.

Wow. You're all ahead of me. I have not turn in one single app yet. I'm almost done with UH, halfway through Tech and I have not even started on my A&M and UIW apps. The ps and the pharmacy experience essays are the ones slowing me down for Tech. I hope I can turn in my apps for UH next week. I'm also still waiting for my transcripts from one school. Maybe this thread will motivate me to work on my apps.

Not applying to UT?

Yeah, these threads are really motivating me to pick up the pace.

Not applying to UT?

Yeah, these threads are really motivating me to pick up the pace.

Nope.

I'm really running behind my schedule for turning in my apps but between working on the weekends and taking 15 hours this semester I really don't have all the time that I wish I can put in my applications. Hopefully, I'll get everything done next weekend since I asked for the weekend off.

Nope.

I'm really running behind my schedule for turning in my apps but between working on the weekends and taking 15 hours this semester I really don't have all the time that I wish I can put in my applications. Hopefully, I'll get everything done next weekend since I asked for the weekend off.

I am not applying UT also. They require me to take one-year foreign language which is no way I can finish it before the program starts. I heard that their program is hard too..:scared:

IF you don't mind, may I know your GPA and experience? I just want to know where I stand. Thanks, in advance.

GPA 3.8, CUM GPA 3.74 from UH. Going to graduate in May. Working at Walgreens as Pharm. Tech. over a year. Have volunteered in Hospital and local pharmacy for about 8 months. Tutoring chemistry at school..that's pretty much it.

I am not applying UT also. They require me to take one-year foreign language which is no way I can finish it before the program starts. I heard that their program is hard too..:scared:

Hey, we're on the same boat. I can take Spanish next semester and take another one in the summer but I have other pre-reqs that I need to take and my schedule for the spring semester is pretty much set up. Besides that I simply don't have the time to write 4 decent essays for UT.
UT has an excellent program but so does other schools like UH and Tech. I'm sure their programs are tough too.

Hey, we're on the same boat. I can take Spanish next semester and take another one in the summer but I have other pre-reqs that I need to take and my schedule for the spring semester is pretty much set up. Besides that I simply don't have the time to write 4 decent essays for UT.
UT has an excellent program but so does other schools like UH and Tech. I'm sure their programs are tough too.

Really? I dun know about the 4 essays...That's gonna take forever...I am not good at writing so the essays are going to expose my shortcomings....haha...:p

Really? I dun know about the 4 essays...That's gonna take forever...I am not good at writing so the essays are going to expose my shortcomings....haha...:p

That's what my friend, who applied last year, told me. You have to write 2 for the university and 2 for the college of pharmacy. You also have to apply to both separately. It's a big hassle but worth it, I guess, if you badly want to go there.

yeah, the UT app is the most time consuming, most expensive, and the most difficult texas school to get into, so i'm just doing their apps last to cover all grounds and not have to wonder what if...but i doubt my chances of getting in are any good...i'm just relying on luck...

I have a quick question about the Texas Tech app. Under the additional info section, there is a request for a personal statement. How is that any different from the essay itself? Did anyone actually write that personal statement and the essay? Please help. Thanks.

I have a quick question about the Texas Tech app. Under the additional info section, there is a request for a personal statement. How is that any different from the essay itself? Did anyone actually write that personal statement and the essay? Please help. Thanks.

i put my personal statement in the additional info section, and the other one is a pharmaceutical observations essay, which is more specific. stick to the prompt. that's what i did.

yeah, the UT app is the most time consuming, most expensive, and the most difficult texas school to get into, so i'm just doing their apps last to cover all grounds and not have to wonder what if...but i doubt my chances of getting in are any good...i'm just relying on luck...

Their website doesn't even make it very clear that you need to do the two essays for the transfer application.

In one spot, it says:

You’ll be able to access the Pharm.D. application only after your ApplyTexas Application (excluding essays) has been submitted, processed and added to our system, which often takes more than 24 hours (especially if you apply during a weekend).

In another, it says:

In addition to the essays you submit as part of the ApplyTexas Application, you will also submit essays in response to the following two prompts as part of your online Pharm.D. Application.

I almost emailed to ask, but I didn't want to appear lazy.

i put my personal statement in the additional info section, and the other one is a pharmaceutical observations essay, which is more specific. stick to the prompt. that's what i did.

Thanks!

Their website doesn't even make it very clear that you need to do the two essays for the transfer application.

In one spot, it says:

You'll be able to access the Pharm.D. application only after your ApplyTexas Application (excluding essays) has been submitted, processed and added to our system, which often takes more than 24 hours (especially if you apply during a weekend).

In another, it says:

In addition to the essays you submit as part of the ApplyTexas Application, you will also submit essays in response to the following two prompts as part of your online Pharm.D. Application.

I almost emailed to ask, but I didn't want to appear lazy.

i actually did email to ask, and they responded that you do infact have to fill out the essays for the Apply Texas Application in addition to the pharm essays. only problem is, i already submitted it without doing so b/c of what they wrote ("excluding essays"), so i don't know how to get back in and resubmit it.

now, i guess what they meant was that you won't have access to the pharm application until you complete the Apply Texas Application minus the essay portion, but that you still need to complete the essays regardlesss, just not necessarily before doing the pharm app. does that make sense? anyway, i agree that they should have been more clear. i still need to do those essays. what a hassle!

Yeah...but they grade on the perception too...I am afraid of writing something I am not supposed to....:rolleyes: but anyway, i will finish it before the end of the this month. For LORs, bomb the advisor's email!!!! Did she know that you are in hurry? When I asked my professor for LOR, I told them I need to apply early so that they can cooperate.

i took your advice, and i "bombed" my professor's email, but still no response. finally, i decided to come see him in person today, and he said he had just come back from mexico the night before. so, he got all my emails this morning. he promised to have everything done by this thursday. we'll see...thanks for the advice, btw.;)

i took your advice, and i "bombed" my professor's email, but still no response. finally, i decided to come see him in person today, and he said he had just come back from mexico the night before. so, he got all my emails this morning. he promised to have everything done by this thursday. we'll see...thanks for the advice, btw.;)

I gave my LOR forms to my professors two weeks ago. Do you think it's too early to do a follow up? I don't want to seem like I'm rushing them since it took me almost three weeks to get the forms to them.

I gave my LOR forms to my professors two weeks ago. Do you think it's too early to do a follow up? I don't want to seem like I'm rushing them since it took me almost three weeks to get the forms to them.

i followed up with emails each week, but they were always pertaining to a different topic, and then i'd mention a reminder to complete my letters towards the end of each email. just be polite and make it more of a friendly reminder than an angry threat.

after 1 month, i'd see the professor in person b/c that shows you really went out of your way to remind them, so they should go out of their way to complete the letters asap. that's what i did.

in other words, two weeks is reasonable, but i think 1 month is too long where they may have just forgotten about you. i am a very impatient person, so take other people's advice into consideration, too. good luck.

i actually did email to ask, and they responded that you do infact have to fill out the essays for the Apply Texas Application in addition to the pharm essays. only problem is, i already submitted it without doing so b/c if what they wrote ("excluding essays"), so i don't know how to get back in and resubmit it.

now, i guess what they meant was that you won't have access to the pharm application until you complete the Apply Texas Application minus the essay portion, but that you still need to complete the essays regardlesss, just not necessarily before doing the pharm app. does that make sense? anyway, i agree that they should have been more clear. i still need to do those essays. what a hassle!

It's good to know that they are actually going to look at them.

You can't log into the ApplyTexas page and go to the "My Essays" tab?

I dun think so, a courtesy e-mail to remind them won't hurt.
Who did you give it to? I got Dr. Thummel and Dr. Daugulis. Both are organic chem prof.

P.S. did you go to Hardee's class on Monday? Would you mind if I copy your notes? thanks~~;)

I dun think so, a courtesy e-mail to remind them won't hurt.
Who did you give it to? I got Dr. Thummel and Dr. Daugulis. Both are organic chem prof.

P.S. did you go to Hardee's class on Monday? Would you mind if I copy your notes? thanks~~;)

I sent you a pm.

hi yall! I turned in my applications and everything, to Texas Tech, A&M, and UH last week....I'm now just wondering how soon they will open my application package, because they must have gotten them by now....I've been checking my document status online with UH and TTU all the time....nothing is updated yet! Maybe, I'm just worried too soon, but I really want to know if my applications have actually reached the admission offices, and not got lost somewhere in the mails....Two of LORs are sent directly from my professor, so I can't include them in the package...that's what I'm most worried about...

hi yall! I turned in my applications and everything, to Texas Tech, A&M, and UH last week....I'm now just wondering how soon they will open my application package, because they must have gotten them by now....I've been checking my document status online with UH and TTU all the time....nothing is updated yet! Maybe, I'm just worried too soon, but I really want to know if my applications have actually reached the admission offices, and not got lost somewhere in the mails....Two of LORs are sent directly from my professor, so I can't include them in the package...that's what I'm most worried about...

I sent my A&M package on Tue, and arrived on Fri of that week. Oh, forgot to mention it was from Houston. Not done with Texas Tech, I am a procrastinator....:p

My UT application is a nightmare so far, and I've only done the undergraduate transfer part!

It has been 48 hours since I submitted my transfer application, but there is still not record.

I also did the recommendations thing, but neither of my intended recipients have received their email from UT yet.

how do you know if the school has received your application package? I've been checking document status with Houston and Tech, nothing's updated so far. And, I haven't received email from A&M yet. I sent the package for Tech & Houston last Wednesday, and Houston on last Friday....they all should have arrived already...

how do you know if the school has received your application package? I've been checking document status with Houston and Tech, nothing's updated so far. And, I haven't received email from A&M yet. I sent the package for Tech & Houston last Wednesday, and Houston on last Friday....they all should have arrived already...

UH updated my file on the same day since I hand-carried to them. Texas Tech received the LORs and PCAT score and posted them online too. A&M sent me an email regarding the missing classes so I know that they received it.

I got the email notification from Houston today. They got everything already. Texas Tech's webpage experiences some updates over last week, so they asked me to call back sometime next week.

I've just realized I made a stupid mistake on sending the application package to A&M. I put the wrong zipcode on the envelope! :confused:...I called the school today, and they said they had not received anything with my name yet. I guess I just have to wait and see if the package can arrive the correct address. Do you think I'll be able to get back my package in the mail as "undelivarable"?

I got the email notification from Houston today. They got everything already. Texas Tech's webpage experiences some updates over last week, so they asked me to call back sometime next week.

I've just realized I made a stupid mistake on sending the application package to A&M. I put the wrong zipcode on the envelope! :confused:...I called the school today, and they said they had not received anything with my name yet. I guess I just have to wait and see if the package can arrive the correct address. Do you think I'll be able to get back my package in the mail as "undelivarable"?

I've never experienced it so I dun know, but if you wrote down your returning address they should mail it back to you. Now the question is WHEN???? You might want to call USPS to find out....

Did u do a delivery confirmation or anything on it? I always do that for my important mails.that way you can track it.

Anybody applying to TSU? If so how far along the way is your applications?

Everything have been done excepted the personal statement...dun think I can use the same PS for last year~~gonna finish it in Nov.:)

Where is everyone applying to in texas? Im applying to UIW, A&M kingsville, and Tech.

i'm done with everything, but i just need to find a decent, professional-looking photo of myself before i can send it in. otherwise, i'm done with the whole application (minus one LOR).