Texas Schools Decision Date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ja3ger

The Red Viper
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend (really) who is IS for Texas schools. If he interviewed in mid-August, when do you think they would decide whether or not to give him a pre-match acceptance?

I know all IS decisions come out on Nov. 15 (at the earliest), but do you think they have already decided? Or will they have decided by a week from now?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was hoping at least some of you might know how the process works in this regard. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend (really) who is IS for Texas schools. If he interviewed in mid-August, when do you think they would decide whether or not to give him a pre-match acceptance?

I know all IS decisions come out on Nov. 15 (at the earliest), but do you think they have already decided? Or will they have decided by a week from now?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was hoping at least some of you might know how the process works in this regard. Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't see why you even care. Theres no utility in knowing exactly when a school decides whether an applicant is accepted.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't see why you even care. Theres no utility in knowing exactly when a school decides whether an applicant is accepted.
What if he was considering sending a letter of intent to a school? Would it not make a difference at this point if they have already made a decision?

If they haven't decided, it may encourage them to accept him. If they have already decided not to extend a pre-match offer (on the basis of yield protection and assuming he'll choose a different school instead and NOT because they didn't like him), it may encourage them to accept him.

The real reason is a little more complex/personal; I'd rather not share it here. Please assume that this is actually relevant; I'm just playing the admissions game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this is going to be helpful, but from the Texas schools I have interviewed at I got the sense that they rank applicants. So I don't think the date will matter that much (whether he interviewed in August/Sept/Oct) because as soon as you are ranked you will end up on this ultimate list. Where you end up on the ultimate list will depend on whether or not you get a pre-match and when you would get it.

I probably wouldn't send a letter of intent until after the pre-match process which can be anywhere from November 15th-December 31st. If he hasn't prematched then maybe he could send one then if he feels it will help him on the match (Feb 1st). Generally, from what I've read letters of intent might serve a small purpose after Feb 1st if you're put on the waitlist.

I remember last year some of the TX schools told us interviewees that they'll get together either the same day as the interview or a few days afterward and discuss all the candidates and rank them. I wouldn't send a letter of intent at this point - why not just wait and see how Nov 15 goes? Some schools are also not particularly pre-match heavy, so don't despair just because you don't get a prematch. And even after match day, there's still waitlist movement at most schools.

I would send a letter of intent if there's a school you really like after November 15.

I remember last year some of the TX schools told us interviewees that they'll get together either the same day as the interview or a few days afterward and discuss all the candidates and rank them. I wouldn't send a letter of intent at this point - why not just wait and see how Nov 15 goes? Some schools are also not particularly pre-match heavy, so don't despair just because you don't get a prematch. And even after match day, there's still waitlist movement at most schools.

I would send a letter of intent if there's a school you really like after November 15.

Well, if he waited until after Nov 15 (and still hadn't gotten a pre-match offer), he would then be competing for many fewer spots. The degree to which that is true, however, I do not know.

Also, in this scenario it is imperative that he not enter the match.

Well, if he waited until after Nov 15 (and still hadn't gotten a pre-match offer), he would then be competing for many fewer spots. The degree to which that is true, however, I do not know.

Also, in this scenario it is imperative that he not enter the match.

So the vital issue is not where he goes to school? But rather when he finds out? Doesn't make much sense to me, but FWIW...

From your yield-protection concerns, it sounds like his stats might be well-above the average for the particular school in question. So sending a LOI outlining why that particular school is not a safety, but the one he really, really wants (e.g. "My significant other lives in Lubbock") probably wouldn't hurt anything.

But in case you're wondering, you can find good explanations of the match algorithm online. The school your friend would match into is the one highest on HIS list that places him high enough on theirs. So if he ranks 1-Lubbock, 2-UTSW, 3-UTMB and the schools rank him: Lubbock-327, UTSW-125, and UTMB-202, he could still end up in Lubbock if ~200 of the 326 people in front of him prefer and are admitted to another school. In other words, he has nothing to lose by ranking schools in order of his honest preference, and the schools have nothing to lose by ranking students in order of their honest preference.

So the vital issue is not where he goes to school? But rather when he finds out? Doesn't make much sense to me, but FWIW...

From your yield-protection concerns, it sounds like his stats might be well-above the average for the particular school in question. So sending a LOI outlining why that particular school is not a safety, but the one he really, really wants (e.g. "My significant other lives in Lubbock") probably wouldn't hurt anything.

But in case you're wondering, you can find good explanations of the match algorithm online. The school your friend would match into is the one highest on HIS list that places him high enough on theirs. So if he ranks 1-Lubbock, 2-UTSW, 3-UTMB and the schools rank him: Lubbock-327, UTSW-125, and UTMB-202, he could still end up in Lubbock if ~200 of the 326 people in front of him prefer and are admitted to another school. In other words, he has nothing to lose by ranking schools in order of his honest preference, and the schools have nothing to lose by ranking students in order of their honest preference.
The issue is still about the school, I just can't divulge too much info here to explain why he doesn't want to enter the match.

I know TX schools "talk" to each other, but does anyone think that would mean other schools might retract a prematch offer if the LOI were sent before Nov15?

This is beside my OP, but I was just curious.

Last edited:
The issue is still about the school, I just can't divulge too much info here to explain why he doesn't want to enter the match.

I known TX schools "talk" to each other, but does anyone think that would mean other schools might retract a prematch offer if the LOI were sent before Nov15?

This is beside my OP, but I was just curious.

You've got me curious... Maybe you're 'expecting' an offer from at least one school -- hypothetically, based on interview feedback or maybe an inside connection? But feeling less secure about a school he likes more and don't want to jeopardize the 'secure' spot by writing a LOI to the preferred school?

You know the match is not something you decide to 'Enter' in Texas, right? That every student who is interviewed takes place in it automatically?... So if your friend interviews at three schools and receives a pre-match offer at one but not the other two, he still has to rank his 1,2,3 preferences in the match. He could list his pre-match school first and it's a no-drama, no-brainer. But if he lists another school first and they accept him in the match, the school that extended the pre-match will find out, without a doubt, that he preferred the other school.

Assuming they care. I can't imagine that many applicants get talked about between schools...

You've got me curious... Maybe you're 'expecting' an offer from at least one school -- hypothetically, based on interview feedback or maybe an inside connection? But feeling less secure about a school he likes more and don't want to jeopardize the 'secure' spot by writing a LOI to the preferred school?

You know the match is not something you decide to 'Enter' in Texas, right? That every student who is interviewed takes place in it automatically?... So if your friend interviews at three schools and receives a pre-match offer at one but not the other two, he still has to rank his 1,2,3 preferences in the match. He could list his pre-match school first and it's a no-drama, no-brainer. But if he lists another school first and they accept him in the match, the school that extended the pre-match will find out, without a doubt, that he preferred the other school.

Assuming they care. I can't imagine that many applicants get talked about between schools...
Good guess, but no :)

Ah, I did not know that's exactly how it worked (again, only my friend is the TX resident here).

Does that mean he's literally 100% guaranteed an acceptance at school A if he gets a prematch offer from A and ranks A first?

Good guess, but no :)

Ah, I did not know that's exactly how it worked (again, only my friend is the TX resident here).

Does that mean he's literally 100% guaranteed an acceptance at school A if he gets a prematch offer from A and ranks A first?

Yes it does. Get a prematch and rank that school #1, you know exactly what's going to happen Feb 1. Accepted to that school only.

A pre-match offer from a Texas school is a guaranteed acceptance. Whether you decide to rank it first or not is your choice. If you rank School A higher but are wait-listed at that school (don't match on Feb 1), and have a pre-match offer from School B, then you keep the acceptance at School B.