Texas schools...Please need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know how competitive Texas Pharmacy schools are...I know UTA is pretty tough to get into but what about the rest...?

Members don't see this ad.

I think U of H is fairly competitive, but I think the rest of the Texas schools are easier. I only applied to Incarnate Word with above average stats so I can't give any personal experience on the other schools.

I know a lot of students from Houston were interviewing at other schools (which leads me to believe it is more competitive). When I interviewed at Incarnate, a lot of the other interviewees were from Houston.
I don't know about TSU or A&M.
Texas Tech is the only school I didn't get an interview invite to that I applied to (honestly, I'm still curious about that because they have grade replacement, so my GPA is actually better there than everywhere else I applied).
UNT is still new (will be admitting its second class) and should be getting its candidate status this year (not fully accredited yet).
According to the 'rankings', UT>Tech>A&M>Houston>TSU>Incarnate, but there is definitely debate about how useful the 'rankings' are.
If your GPA isn't 'set' though, I would focus on which school I liked the best and work on getting into that one. You can always apply to all of the schools if you wish (this was my initial plan, but it is pretty costly T.T).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Texas Tech and from what I noticed, tech is very selective on the students they give interviews to. So although your GPA might have been good, there were other factors that are the deciding factors. Applying broadly is the best bet. Best of luck!

I will be attending pharmacy school in the fall at another school, so I am not too concerned. As I said I was just curious because my GPA is actually the weakest part of my application (I have 2 years tech experience, great LOR, and I scored a 94 on my PCAT first try). I called and emailed Tech and they never responded to me. Overall, I think things happen for a reason and harbor no ill will, just curiosity. I wish you luck in the fall also!

I will be attending pharmacy school in the fall at another school, so I am not too concerned. As I said I was just curious because my GPA is actually the weakest part of my application (I have 2 years tech experience, great LOR, and I scored a 94 on my PCAT first try). I called and emailed Tech and they never responded to me. Overall, I think things happen for a reason and harbor no ill will, just curiosity. I wish you luck in the fall also!

Hmm that's very strange, you seem like a great candidate, especially with that PCAT score. Anyways, congrats! We have a long journey ahead of us now