Texas schools ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ringo643

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only 3 weeks left to change rankings for the TX schools. I need some help with this decision. Currently, I have the schools ranked:
1) UTMB (liked their curr. and general atmosphere, but have heard some negative comments about it recently)
2) UTSW (seemed a little bit too focused on research; very traditional curriculum seemed kind of stifling)
3)UTSA
4)UTH
5)TAMU

I still haven't heard from Baylor, but it will be in top consideration if I get in there. Any advice? (Especially on choosing between top two schools) I'd especially like to hear from current students at the texas schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No one wants to respond to this one?

OK. I admit that I've been waiting a while to respond to this. I've interviewed at all the Texas public allopathic school and think they are all wonderful, so it has been a hard decision for me to rank them. Finally, after my last interview on Friday, I entered my ranking. It goes something like this:

1. UTSW-research and computers. I love the integration of these two into UTSW's curriculum.
2. UTMB-atmosphere and curriculum. The student's seem very pleased/laid back, but most importantly, they do an "organ-systems" approach which I love!
3. UTH-Texas Medical Center. The availability of medical resources is astounding, esp. if interested in oncology. I also like the T1 connections in the cubbies at the Resource Learning Center.
4. Texas Tech-clinical opportunities. Real strong on letting students do the work. Unfortunately, Lubbock would be hard for my wife to find a job.
5. UTSA-OK, esp for Hispanic health care, but students didn't seem excited about their school and I don't like the idea of being in class for 8 hours a day.
6. A&M-Split campuses very unattractive. Also, I requested and did not receive a residency match list. The fact that I didn't receive one scares me.

Hope that helps. It'll be anxious waiting from here on out. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have had only two interviews: UTMB and UTH. Of the two, I am putting UTH first, simply because of the location. It would be a lot easier on my wife and I if I went to school there. However, I really liked the atmosphere and the curriculum at UTMB.

I am still holding out for at least one or two more interviews.

fourthtime -
how much weight do you think the average applicant should give to research funding and facilities? I've been kind of stuck on deciding how important I should make this, especially because SW is such a standout in it.

Ringo:
I think it depends on what you want to do in med school. For me, I definitely want to do a baby research project, but nothing dissertation level. However, I'm not sure what kind of project I want to take on. Since SW is well endowed, both with faculty and money to do research, I take comfort that I will probably be able to do whatever project I want to--at least that's what my interviewer told me.

Another point that I didn't mention is that I may want to seek a residency outside of Texas. (I'm originally from the East Coast.) After looking at the residency matches for the last class, SW seems to send their people in more areas of the country than the other schools do--at least, that's what I saw.

Good luck!

PS-I haven't heard from Baylor either yet--I'm still hopeful though!