Texas State DPT Prgm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTHopeful921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the Texas State DPT prgm? Does anyone know anything about it as far as how the course load is, how demanding it is compared to other DPT prgms, and how the faculty are? I was glancing at the website and i have to tell you that I am a big fan of only a 99 hr DPT prgm with no dissertation or capstone/seminar project, and that it is still accredited. to the naked eye it seems good, but beauty is in the eye of the be holder (or beer holder if you are so inclined :D)

Members don't see this ad.

I really wanted to apply thre since I'm from TX originally. San Marcos is really cool and it's close to Austin and San Antonio. I couldn't apply because I wasn't going to have enough time to fit in an upper level Ex Phys class with all the other pre-reqs I had to take (while working full time and doing observation hours) :(. It looks really good from their website, but I don't have any first hand knowledge, sorry.

Texas State DPT: Curriculum: http://www.health.txstate.edu/pt/degrees-programs/graduate.html

What is the course load like each semester?

• The course load ranges from 10-14 credit hours per semester. The first several semesters are very heavy in "in class" time, while the later semesters have more "out of class" responsibilities for learning.
  • Additional course load is dependent on when clinical education assignments are made and how efficient project completion is.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, good thing i ended up taking that exercise physiology class in undergrad, haha. I actually had to end up taking medical terminology so that i could apply specifically to TX State eventually down the road. All the other DPT prgms i have looked at, most dont require medical terminology.

Has anyone applied to the Texas State DPT prgm? Does anyone know anything about it as far as how the course load is, how demanding it is compared to other DPT prgms, and how the faculty are? I was glancing at the website and i have to tell you that I am a big fan of only a 99 hr DPT prgm with no dissertation or capstone/seminar project, and that it is still accredited. to the naked eye it seems good, but beauty is in the eye of the be holder (or beer holder if you are so inclined :D)

I didn't look into their dpt program in detail, but I'm pretty sure there is a required "project" since it's a doctorate degree.

I have a friend that just got accepted to Texas State (he choose this school over Texas Tech).

Two things about Texas State. First of all, I applied there and didn't get in, but was impressed with the time and effort they put into my rejection letter. They were more than willing to review my application with me and help me become a better candidate for the next round. Thankfully, I got accepted elsewhere so that's not a problem! Second, someone from Texas State's undergrad is in my class for PT school starting in May, and when I asked her if she applied there she said no because their selection process is highly political, meaning a lot of times people that have volunteered with the profs in the department or worked with the PT program the entire time they've been in undergrad often get preferential treatment. She wasn't a huge fan of that whole mindset, and I can't say I would be either. I don't say that to discourage you from applying, but that's just what I've seen and heard.

Two things about Texas State. First of all, I applied there and didn't get in, but was impressed with the time and effort they put into my rejection letter. They were more than willing to review my application with me and help me become a better candidate for the next round. Thankfully, I got accepted elsewhere so that's not a problem! Second, someone from Texas State's undergrad is in my class for PT school starting in May, and when I asked her if she applied there she said no because their selection process is highly political, meaning a lot of times people that have volunteered with the profs in the department or worked with the PT program the entire time they've been in undergrad often get preferential treatment. She wasn't a huge fan of that whole mindset, and I can't say I would be either. I don't say that to discourage you from applying, but that's just what I've seen and heard.

My friend that I mention is an undergraduate from Texas Tech. Because of bad weather, Texas State conducted his interview over the phone and he got accepted. And get this... he has never volunteered or visited the campus before... so I'm not sure about the "political" thing you mention about. His grades were decent but his GRE was like a 880 (no joke). From my friend's stats, I would have to say Texas State looks at the entire picture of the applicant.

I see what you mean. And it could have been a sour grapes type of situation too with the girl who told me the story. Just sharing what I've heard.