Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slightly off topic, but is anyone else going to see Tech play in the Cotton Bowl this year?

I wish I could but that is quite the trip from Atlanta- my cousin (a Tech UG) will be there and I will be watching and cheering on TV

Members don't see this ad.

The drive is maybe 10 minutes. You just hop on the loop. Most of my classmates lived alone, but some had roommates. I didn't have a rooommate until 3rd year. I've seen people spend $200/month for rent and I've seen $850/month in Lubbock. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

So can that whole range of cost actually work out with the financial aid they give you? One of my holiday goals is to write out a tenative budget- I have lived at home for undergrad so this will be the first time for me to have to really budget for anything.

Hi, I'm committed to attending the Foster School of Medicine, Tech's sister medical school in El Paso. I was hoping that someone on here could talk about the pros and cons of doing clinical training in El Paso. Is it stressful with a lot more call than other places? Is knowing Spanish an essential (i.e. are you screwed if you don't speak a word of Spanish?)?

I've also heard someone say that you would need to use SPanish in El Paso just as much as you would if you did your clinical training in Houston or Dallas. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone get more details about that scholarship we are supposedly eligible for?

did anyone get more details about that scholarship we are supposedly eligible for?

yep. i received a packet two weeks ago with the details of my scholarship. i had to send back a form saying whether i would accept it or not. fyi...this was a separate packet than the acceptance letter packet.

in other news...i'm headed to lubbock next monday to check out apartments. i know it's super early but i live in boston so i have to make the most of my trips back to texas! i'll let you guys know what i find. i'm also beginning to think more along the lines of something like "las colinas" - a little dumpier but much more space!

yep. i received a packet two weeks ago with the details of my scholarship. i had to send back a form saying whether i would accept it or not. fyi...this was a separate packet than the acceptance letter packet.

in other news...i'm headed to lubbock next monday to check out apartments. i know it's super early but i live in boston so i have to make the most of my trips back to texas! i'll let you guys know what i find. i'm also beginning to think more along the lines of something like "las colinas" - a little dumpier but much more space!

I will be interested to here your apartment feedback- I am also considering Las Colinas and a few others and will be flying over to check out apartments over spring break. Hope you have a successful trip!

My scholarship form came around a week or so ago but they had messed it up (OOS students got the IS letter) and so they are supposedly sending me a new letter.

maybe i should contact Linda Prado about mine. I did not get any, but the initial letter had said details with br forthcoming in the next few weeks. it's been a month now.

I'd say yeah contact Ms. Prado. I got mine a little over a week ago and it had to be returned by the 19th. So you might want to make sure they haven't sent yours yet so you don't get penalized if the mail lost it.

On a side note, the more I look into Tech the more I like it. Honestly it wasn't my first choice, but I actually think it is a really great school! I'm starting to second guess my current top ranked school. The only real downside I see is that it is so far away from my family and as far as I know they don't record the lectures. :(

I'd say yeah contact Ms. Prado. I got mine a little over a week ago and it had to be returned by the 19th. So you might want to make sure they haven't sent yours yet so you don't get penalized if the mail lost it.

On a side note, the more I look into Tech the more I like it. Honestly it wasn't my first choice, but I actually think it is a really great school! I'm starting to second guess my current top ranked school. The only real downside I see is that it is so far away from my family and as far as I know they don't record the lectures. :(

When I was a 1st year, the school did not put lectures on podcasts, etc. but there is a scribe service that records and types everything.

Thanks Agshan, i will email her right away, since it's 12AM right now.

When I was a 1st year, the school did not put lectures on podcasts, etc. but there is a scribe service that records and types everything.

Sorry to correct you but I don't want anyone thinking that there is a scribe service set up for them when they get here. The scribe service is your class, you guys are the scribes, there is not a scribe service per se. What will happen is that you guys will need to form a committee that oversees everything and appoints scribe days/lectures for everyone that is involved in the scribe service, not everyone will be. We had enough people this block that we only had to scribe one lecture. They will not allow any video recordings or allow you to distribute any audio recordings. You can only record the lecture for the purpose of the scribe and that's it. I doubt they change that because they were saying that it was due to copyright issues. They don't want the profs' lectures floating around on the internet.

And just because I feel like touting Tech, this place is really great. I can't imagine anyone who comes here being disappointed other than not liking the location. They are so accommodating to the students and are willing to work with us whenever we have concerns. For example, back in sept. we had an anatomy test/practical and an ECE test on the same day or the day before or something like that, can't remember now. Our class president went and talked to the ECE coordinator and she agreed to move our ECE test to the next week so we wouldn't be so overwhelmed. Also, we have a bunch a profs that wrote/co-wrote a bunch of books that are currently used by med students; off the top of my head there is Dr. Bickley who is involved in Bates' Guide to Physical Examination & History Taking and Dr. Pelley of Biochemistry Rapid Review and a ton of other review books.

Well, I better get back to studying for my final that's in an hour. That reminds me, our finals are administered by the NBME, it sucks because the tests are a little difficult but it's good that we are being exposed to those types of questions since they are representative of the questions we will see for step.

I'm glad i emailed Linda Prado. They resent mine and i just got it today, Deadline was yesterday to respond. She said it was ok to reply now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear that dazed. So have you decided Tech for sure or are you hoping for somewhere else still?

Glad to hear that dazed. So have you decided Tech for sure or are you hoping for somewhere else still?

STILL keeping my options open. i'm one of those people who are so indecisive, i'll be making up my mind @11:59pm January 15th.

so have any of you started thinking about where you want to do 3rd and 4th year? Lubbock, Amarillo, or Midland? I'm not really sure where I want to go. I honestly haven't looked into it much, but I do think surgery would be cool so amarillo might be nice...:cool:

so have any of you started thinking about where you want to do 3rd and 4th year? Lubbock, Amarillo, or Midland? I'm not really sure where I want to go. I honestly haven't looked into it much, but I do think surgery would be cool so amarillo might be nice...:cool:

If i end up at Tech i'll stay in Lubbock. UMC has a lot to offer in way of clinical exposure.

I will be going to Amarillo- I grew up in Amarillo and really love the town- My parents might be moving back there and I have 3 sets of grandparents and many other relatives in Amarillo.

I can answer questions about the town (not the hospital) if anyone has them. I have heard it is very difficult to stay in Lubbock if you don't have a family or own a home. I want to do peds long term so I doubt I would do residency in Amarillo (would be interested in Lubbock) but I think for 2 years of training it would be a great place to learn. I want to do 1 senior elective abroad and 1 at a larger children's hospital.

How was the apartment trip???

dearest Tech,

it's december 31st.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee let me in today!

if you let me in, i'll wear red at 51% of A&M/tech football/other sports games...

if you let me in, i'll invent some random surgery and name it the 'raider method'...

if you let me in, i'll place my md-tech diplomas higher on the wall than my aggie ba/bs diplomas in my office, and do my office accents in red and black...

if you let me in, i'll be on the recruiting team next year to convince great applicants that they want to go here. (and dont forget that i'll be able to tell them that i had a bunch of other great offers and turned them down to go to Tech!)...

if you let me in, i promise to never complain about lubbock or how far it is from D/FW...

if you let me in, i'll practice anywhere you want me to... west texas, panhandle, whereever, you got it...

if you let me in, other than when recruiting other aggies, i'll keep quiet that i'm an aggie...

if you let me in, i'll get exactly the dell computer that you ask me to... (besides, i'm not a mac person to begin with! see? i belong at tech!!!)

sincerely,
maggie08

Maggie you are too funny. I really do hope that you match with Tech. :xf:Best of luck, and try to stay busy for the next month....it'll make the time pass faster.

Maggie you are too funny. I really do hope that you match with Tech. :xf:Best of luck, and try to stay busy for the next month....it'll make the time pass faster.

thanks! but i guess they didn't see my note in time... 12:01 came and passed with nothing (well besides the new year and all, haha!)... so heres to hoping for us for the match!!! (you still wanting uthscsa?) :luck:

The apartment search was quick and painless. I headed to Lubbock with a pretty clear idea of where I wanted to live but I checked out half a dozen places just to make sure I was making the right decision. I lived in Lubbock for three years while growing up and also went to undergrad there so I'm pretty familiar with all the apartments. That being said they have done a ton of building and I wanted to check out some of the new apartments.

I checked out Springfield, Ashton Pointe, The Centre, Las Colinas, the Heritage and Hunter's way. All of this is my opinion….so if you live here please don't be offended.

Hunter's Way – apparently this is government housing. Med students don't live here. :)

Heritage – directly across from Walmart on 4th St, cheaper but very small and dark, as a 25 yr old woman I wouldn't feel totally safe living here but in reality it would probably be fine.

Las Colinas – really a good deal for what you pay. Only thing that will be available is the 2 bedroom but it is still cheaper than most 1 bedrooms in town. I looked at the two story townhome and it was 660/month and about 1000 sq. ft. It is slightly farther from campus but it's Lubbock so it's not that far. You have a front and back door with a small fenced in area in the rear. There are washer/dryer connections and everyone gets two covered parking spaces for their apartment.

The Centre – awesome apartments! Right across from the football stadium on University. Beautiful apartments with parking garage in the center. First floor is store front property so you can walk outside your door and be at Starbucks if you wish. Rent was 870 for the smallest one bedroom…about 660 sq ft. Having lived in Lubbock I know this area is packed full of undergrads and on football weekends will be insane. Although it is probably only 2 miles from the medical school it will be a construction and traffic filled 2 miles for as long as we are there. There has been construction/traffic in this area for a decade now.

Ashton Pointe – decent but they did not have an apartment available to show me. Leasing agents weren't all that friendly so I didn't spend much time there. Complex feels very congested and cramped.

The Dominion – gated and very nice. Upscale for Lubbock standards. Every apartment has an attached garage which is nice. Rent starts around $800 for a small one bedroom. Located near the Las Colinas apartments so again I think it is slightly far from campus. The kitchen in the cheapest 1 bedroom was really tiny and has very little storage space. If you can afford to pay just over $900 a month I would recommend going for the large one bedroom at this place.

Springfield – I loved it and will be living here!! I'm renting the large 1 bedroom…740 sq ft. for $750. It is gated and a relatively small and quiet complex. They have a great fitness center, free covered parking and non-attached garages available for $55/month. Appliances are great and each apartment comes with a washer and dryer for no additional cost. It's 4 miles from campus, straight down 4th street! I highly recommend this place! Let me know if you end up here….we'll be neighbors!! If you end up here give them my name! Maybe I'll get a referral reward and we can split it! PM me!

Hope this helps and I hope everyone is having a great New Year's!!

I heard Springfield comes with free internet- does rent include cable as well?

thanks! but i guess they didn't see my note in time... 12:01 came and passed with nothing (well besides the new year and all, haha!)... so heres to hoping for us for the match!!! (you still wanting uthscsa?) :luck:

I actually didn't interview at UTHSCSA...apparently they didn't want me :( I am still hoping to hear from A&M though. I figure i'm in a win-win situation though. Either I match or waitlist at A&M and get to stay closer to my boyfriend/family & go to a pretty good school, or I don't match and I continue with Tech and also get to go to a pretty good school :D I decided if I have to move to Lubbock by myself i'm getting a dog too. (I grew up with them but haven't been able to have one since i've been in college) So there is up's to both sides.

yeah, shan, i'm kinda in the same boat... every time i get passed up by tech, san antonio looks more and more attractive... so i'm hoping to match at tech, but i'd still be really excited to be in sa--so i'm thinkin it a win-win, too.

I decided if I have to move to Lubbock by myself i'm getting a dog too. (I grew up with them but haven't been able to have one since i've been in college) So there is up's to both sides.

hahahahaha, that sounds EXACTLY like me! if we end up in lubbock we could get a dog and be roommates :laugh:

Hi, this is the only TT 2013 forum I could find and wanted to ask a quick question about the length of the interview day. The email says 9am - 4:45pm ... but is 4:45pm like a stay and linger type of end point or has really everyone taken off? I know it would be tight, but I'm debating if I can make a 5:35pm flight out of LBB, but don't want to push it if most people stay around and it would be good to network/mingle. Thanks in advance! :)

At my interview they actually took a van load of us to the airport at 5 (and the airport is tiny so it takes no time at all to get through security). No one was really hanging around because the admissions comittee actually was meeting at 4 to discuss us i think. The students lead the tour at the end of the day so there is no reason to just hang around unless you want to talk to the students. 5:35 might be pushing it a bit, but if that is your only choice i'm sure you could make it. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for that info ... I checked the final confirmation email I received from TT and it said the interview day went til 4pm (odd how the first email sent said it went til 4:45pm). I just booked my ticket and will try and book it to get to the airport by 5pm at the latest! Thanks again! :)

anyone know avg. step 1 scores since the curriculum was changed? i know there is 100% pass rate this year but i never heard an average score.

i am 22F but not a student of class of 2013 but i hope i get accepted for class of 2014.
i own a home in lubbock and have lived here for 5years. i did my undergrad at the nursing school there at the health sciences center so i may could answer some questions abt lubbock in general.
i love and adore TECH and hope to go to medical school there someday:thumbup:

anyone know avg. step 1 scores since the curriculum was changed? i know there is 100% pass rate this year but i never heard an average score.

i believe they said it was around 222, i can't remember exactly but it's in an email somewhere they sent us a while back and i know it's close to that number.

Has anyone checked their Tech website status? I'm not sure if we were supposed to respond to our offer online, but mine says:
Your admissions offer has expired.

If you would still like to accept the offer please contact the admissions office.

Also, what have you all received with your offer letters? The letter itself, the scholarship, and the little check box forms that you have to sign and return? Anything else? I've applied to the MD/MBA program, and it seems as if they mailed everything to me in a mixed order. I got a scholarship before I got accepted. Then I got the e-mail. Got a packet that was supposed to go with my offer letter, but yet.. still no official offer letter yet. I'm just afraid that I'm missing some information... is there anything else I should have received that has not arrived yet? Thanks!

I can't even check my status anymore... I got my email of acceptance then a packet with an official acceptance letter and form to send back (also a bunch of technical standards papers)... then a few weeks later I got my scholarship info with the form for that. I would call the office... also if you go to Merlin (where you scheduled interview) there was something you could click that accepted your offer.

Can any of the current students verify the class schedules for M1?
I understand it is approx 8-12 M-F, classes are truly bock by block, and tests every other week? Anatomy lab is accessible after class hours?

Also, do u guys find time as M1 to shadow/ round with physicians? i.e. as a personal extracurricular activity.

Can any of the current students verify the class schedules for M1?
I understand it is approx 8-12 M-F, classes are truly bock by block, and tests every other week? Anatomy lab is accessible after class hours?

Also, do u guys find time as M1 to shadow/ round with physicians? i.e. as a personal extracurricular activity.

Anatomy was pretty much 8-12, BCT was 9 to noon for the most part, and MOS is 9-11. We do have a true block schedule, you have anatomy then a final, BCT then a final, and so forth. Tests are usually 3 weeks apart, this block will be the first where we have them two weeks apart. You will have complete access to the entire building 24/7.

I find plenty of time to do pretty much anything, hence why I'm on sdn constantly, though there will be some tests that are just insane so you won't have as much free time. It also depends on the block, the histo portion of bct was extremely easy and I never went to lab so I was done after an hour of lecture; it was nice. And seriously, it's kinda hard to fail, if you put in the effort and just try to understand the major stuff you'll have no problem; if you wanna honor then of course you're going to have less free time unless you've had the material before.

Last edited:
Anatomy was pretty much 8-12, BCT was 9 to noon for the most part, and MOS is 9-11. We do have a true block schedule, you have anatomy then a final, BCT then a final, and so forth. Tests are usually 3 weeks apart, this block will be the first where we have them two weeks apart. You will have complete access to the entire building 24/7.

I find plenty of time to do pretty much anything, hence why I'm on sdn constantly, though there will be some tests that are just insane so you won't have as much free time. It also depends on the block, the histo portion of bct was extremely easy and I never went to lab so I was done after an hour of lecture; it was nice. And seriously, it's kinda hard to fail, if you put in the effort and just try to understand the major stuff you'll have no problem; if you wanna honor then of course you're going to have less free time unless you've had the material before.

How about the library; how late is it open?

til midnight i believe, not too sure, i don't really go

I can't even check my status anymore... I got my email of acceptance then a packet with an official acceptance letter and form to send back (also a bunch of technical standards papers)... then a few weeks later I got my scholarship info with the form for that. I would call the office... also if you go to Merlin (where you scheduled interview) there was something you could click that accepted your offer.

Merlin was where I received that message... I think I may just call again on Monday. Thanks!

to any current students lurking around...typically how many exams per block? ie. anatomy...is it 3 exams and a final kind of thing?

also, any blocks where there is only 1 final exam?

thanks!

to any current students lurking around...typically how many exams per block? ie. anatomy...is it 3 exams and a final kind of thing?

also, any blocks where there is only 1 final exam?

thanks!

found the schedule on the TTUHSC SOM curriculum link. here it is:

Office of Curriculum
2008 - 2009 Exam and Block Dates
Updated: 12/3/2008

Year 1
Clinically Oriented Anatomy (8/6/08 - 10/20/08)

Friday - August 29 2008 Exam 1 - 9AM - 11AM
Practical Exam 1PM - 4PM
Friday - September 19 2008 Exam 2 - 9AM - 11AM
Practical Exam 1PM - 4PM
Friday - October 17 2008 Exam 3 - 9AM - 11AM
Practical Exam 1PM - 4PM
Monday - October 20 2008 NBME Exam 8AM - 12PM

Biology of Cells and Tissues (10/22/08 - 12/19/08)

Friday - November 7 2008 Exam 1 - 8AM - 11AM
Wednesday - November 26 2008 Exam 2 - 8AM - 11AM
Wednesday - December 17 2008 Exam 3 - 8AM - 11AM
Lab Exam 1 PM - 4PM
Friday - December 19 2008 Final Exam 1PM - 5PM

Structure and Function of Major Organ Systems (1/6/09 - 4/6/09)

Monday - January 26 2009 Exam 1 - 9AM - 10:15AM
Monday - February 9 2009 Exam 2 - 9AM - 10:15AM
Monday - February 23 2009 Exam 3 - 9AM - 10:15AM
Monday - March 16 2009 Exam 4 - 9AM - 10:15AM
Monday - March 30 2009 Exam 5 - 9AM - 10:15AM
Monday - April 6 2009 Final Exam - 9AM - 11AM

Host Defense (4/7/09 - 6/5/09)

Friday - April 24 2009 Exam 1 - 1PM - 3:30PM
Monday - May 11 2009 Exam 2 - 9AM - 11:30AM
Wednesday - June 3 2009 Exam 3 - 8AM - 11AM
Friday - June 5 2009 Final Exam 1PM - 4:30PM

Early Clinical Experience I (8/5/08 - 6/4/09)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 Exam 1 - 1-3PM
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 Exam 2 - 1-3PM
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 Exam 3 - 1-3PM
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 Exam 4 - 1-3PM

oh i'm dumb. i remember looking at that website a long time ago but the websites from all the schools are starting to run together at this point! thank you!

one more question to current students: what is the overall opinion of instructors at TTU? i'm coming from an SMP where the faculty really were great lecturers. can i expect the same at tech? as an undergrad at tech most teaching was sub-par but i'm expecting the med school to be much different. let me know what you think.

oh i'm dumb. i remember looking at that website a long time ago but the websites from all the schools are starting to run together at this point! thank you!

one more question to current students: what is the overall opinion of instructors at TTU? i'm coming from an SMP where the faculty really were great lecturers. can i expect the same at tech? as an undergrad at tech most teaching was sub-par but i'm expecting the med school to be much different. let me know what you think.

I am going to bump this question because I am interested in an answer- I hate going to lecture at my undergrad and rarely do- will this be the same in medical school or are instructors better?

the teaching quality really depends on the block. Anatomy had really good teachers because they've been doing it for so long and have got their stuff down and I would say that so far anatomy has been the most well organized block yet. It did have a couple profs that sucked, one is because he hasn't taught embryo before...well...and he sucks...nice guy but he just plain sucks at teaching. The other teaches the neuro stuff and he works in the IT dept., still haven't figured out why he teaches neuro. You can tell he doesn't know exactly why things happen but he knows what he's suppost to teach and he does, just don't ask him why things happen cuz he'll redirect the question at you by saying, "why do you think it happens?"

BCT had a really good set of of teachers. They knew what they were talking about and taught in a very no nonsense way. Plus they provided powerpoints and printed notes, it was nice. One of the teachers gives a list of about 20 questions per lecture that he says all his exam questions will come from. So if you do those 20 and understand the answers you will ace his exam questions.

MOS teachers suck completely so far. All but one have such thick accents it's diffucult to follow what they're saying. The one we had friday was absolutely horrible though, not only did he have an accent but he didn't teach, he just went through his powerpoint and explained what the graphs meant but he didn't explain anything or how they were relevant. I have no idea what he what he was suppose to teach. It was his first teaching assignment though, so maybe he'll get better?

As far as skipping, there are a lot of people that never show up for class, I'm one of those people who likes to go because it get's me in school mode for the rest of the day. But since we have scribes there really isn't much of a need to.

the teaching quality really depends on the block. Anatomy had really good teachers because they've been doing it for so long and have got their stuff down and I would say that so far anatomy has been the most well organized block yet. It did have a couple profs that sucked, one is because he hasn't taught embryo before...well...and he sucks...nice guy but he just plain sucks at teaching. The other teaches the neuro stuff and he works in the IT dept., still haven't figured out why he teaches neuro. You can tell he doesn't know exactly why things happen but he knows what he's suppost to teach and he does, just don't ask him why things happen cuz he'll redirect the question at you by saying, "why do you think it happens?"

BCT had a really good set of of teachers. They knew what they were talking about and taught in a very no nonsense way. Plus they provided powerpoints and printed notes, it was nice. One of the teachers gives a list of about 20 questions per lecture that he says all his exam questions will come from. So if you do those 20 and understand the answers you will ace his exam questions.

MOS teachers suck completely so far. All but one have such thick accents it's diffucult to follow what they're saying. The one we had friday was absolutely horrible though, not only did he have an accent but he didn't teach, he just went through his powerpoint and explained what the graphs meant but he didn't explain anything or how they were relevant. I have no idea what he what he was suppose to teach. It was his first teaching assignment though, so maybe he'll get better?

As far as skipping, there are a lot of people that never show up for class, I'm one of those people who likes to go because it get's me in school mode for the rest of the day. But since we have scribes there really isn't much of a need to.

Man!!! I should have picked A & M.

right, because A&M isn't going to have any ****ty teachers