Texas Tech Lubbock vs. Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clover610

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a really difficult time choosing between the two schools and was hoping if current students from either one could share some insights on the factors they considered when they chose their respective schools.

Also, I'm wondering if Texas A&M SOM's incoming class size (only 100) should be a significant deciding factor, since they would be accepting less students in general?

Both schools are similar in that they don't have a true P/F grading system and that they have multiple campuses. I got a great vibe during interview day from both schools, and don't really know if I can put together a cons list that only applies to one school (distance from home, cost, grading system, etc.).

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also interviewed and was accepted to both these schools, so hopefully, my insight can be useful! I know I don't currently attend either school...sorry about that. But maybe this can still help!

From a purely rank perspective, these two schools are essentially the same. A&M is unranked, while Tech is ranked somewhere between 80-95. Also, both schools have great, new facilities. Purely from my interview, I was much more impressed by Tech Med than A&M Med (and I went to A&M for undergrad! haha). I thought the medical students were among the friendliest I interacted with on the entire interview trail. Moreover, the hospital being so closely connected to the med school was really nice. I was also really impressed with their clinical training facilities.

That being said...I think there are some key reasons I would personally choose A&M over Tech (not sure what your personal preferences are...so I am just drawing from my own).

Tech has a lower overall academic rep in the state of Texas than A&M. That could honestly play a factor come match time. Tech tends to match more students to primary care fields, which makes sense with their heavy rural focus. A&M may be better if you're interested in matching into more specialty-oriented fields (that being said, it really does come down 99% to your Step Score, but certain schools definitely have trends). Also, A&M will provide you with that real strong Aggie Network in Texas- which honestly is a very real factor that can influence landing certain residency spots and future clinical jobs. Aggies really do bend over backward to help other Aggies. This could be a nice network to draw from throughout your professional career. Location-wise, A&M also edges Tech out. While Lubbock itself is pretty nice, you are real isolated out there. A&M- For the first year, you're in CStat (which is a pretty poppin' place) only an hour from Houston and 2 from Austin. Then, you can rotate at some stellar places around the state (Houston, CStat, Temple, etc.).

But hey, these are just some of my thoughts! If you are particularly interested in primary care...or you really connected with folks at Tech, then go Tech!

I also interviewed and was accepted to both these schools, so hopefully, my insight can be useful! I know I don't currently attend either school...sorry about that. But maybe this can still help!

From a purely rank perspective, these two schools are essentially the same. A&M is unranked, while Tech is ranked somewhere between 80-95. Also, both schools have great, new facilities. Purely from my interview, I was much more impressed by Tech Med than A&M Med (and I went to A&M for undergrad! haha). I thought the medical students were among the friendliest I interacted with on the entire interview trail. Moreover, the hospital being so closely connected to the med school was really nice. I was also really impressed with their clinical training facilities.

That being said...I think there are some key reasons I would personally choose A&M over Tech (not sure what your personal preferences are...so I am just drawing from my own).

Tech has a lower overall academic rep in the state of Texas than A&M. That could honestly play a factor come match time. Tech tends to match more students to primary care fields, which makes sense with their heavy rural focus. A&M may be better if you're interested in matching into more specialty-oriented fields (that being said, it really does come down 99% to your Step Score, but certain schools definitely have trends). Also, A&M will provide you with that real strong Aggie Network in Texas- which honestly is a very real factor that can influence landing certain residency spots and future clinical jobs. Aggies really do bend over backward to help other Aggies. This could be a nice network to draw from throughout your professional career. Location-wise, A&M also edges Tech out. While Lubbock itself is pretty nice, you are real isolated out there. A&M- For the first year, you're in CStat (which is a pretty poppin' place) only an hour from Houston and 2 from Austin. Then, you can rotate at some stellar places around the state (Houston, CStat, Temple, etc.).

But hey, these are just some of my thoughts! If you are particularly interested in primary care...or you really connected with folks at Tech, then go Tech!

Thanks for your reply! The Aggie network in Texas is really convincing me over despite having a better interview day at Tech. I guess I'm just worried about my overall chances since they are admitting less students for the upcoming class.

Would any current students mind sharing what kind of resources these schools provide to help you guys prepare for Step? When I interviewed at Tech, the students there talked about the school providing resources to help them prepare for step, such as free Pathoma, but didn't hear anything about the resources provided by A&M.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current students mind sharing what kind of resources these schools provide to help you guys prepare for Step? When I interviewed at Tech, the students there talked about the school providing resources to help them prepare for step, such as free Pathoma, but didn't hear anything about the resources provided by A&M.
I’m not a student but I remember during my interview, they mentioned Kaplan is their main resource for Step.

I am a student at A&M. They do supply Kaplan for step study, but if I remember correctly Tech offers more resources. I do think that should sway you one way or another though. Even if you have to buy your own resources that is just a few hundred bucks which in the grand scheme is not much.

Go wherever you will be happiest. I know its impossible to know for sure now which one will make you happiest but trust your gut. You will do better on step, better in rotations, and better on everything else if you are happy.

Feel free to ask me any questions about A&M or med school in general.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a student at A&M. They do supply Kaplan for step study, but if I remember correctly Tech offers more resources. I do think that should sway you one way or another though. Even if you have to buy your own resources that is just a few hundred bucks which in the grand scheme is not much.

Go wherever you will be happiest. I know its impossible to know for sure now which one will make you happiest but trust your gut. You will do better on step, better in rotations, and better on everything else if you are happy.

Feel free to ask me any questions about A&M or med school in general.
Thanks so much for your insight and for offering to help. I will probably be in touch.