axm028400

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2009
Status
Just wondering if anyone interviewed or is a resident here and their thoughts on the program. Also, does anyone know if the program offers prematches to strong applicants? Thanks in advance.

carlosc1dbz

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
Just wondering if anyone interviewed or is a resident here and their thoughts on the program. Also, does anyone know if the program offers prematches to strong applicants? Thanks in advance.
All I know is that the faculty there is great. They have people with decades experience that are very nice to the residents. Ten again I dont have much to compare it to, but I have only heard good things.

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Good friend attends this program, said they loved it, and wanted to stay in texas (they are from the northeast). The program is in a smaller texas town and they enjoyed the staff and hospital and surrounding area. Patients were good, training was top notch.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Lubbock is pretty small but also pretty vibrant (unlike, for instance, Temple where Scott & White is). I can't comment on Tech's psych program, but the town itself is great. I grew up there and had a blast. Also, if you're single, West Texas women are hot.

TexasPhysician

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Since there isn't much on here, I figure I'll throw in my historical perspective. I didn't apply there, but I know things about 2 years old. If anything, you can use it to see how the program has changed during your interview.

TT-Lubbock historically marketed itself as a "neuropsychiatry" program. With that, they seemed much more biologically oriented to me.

They have no fellowships that I recall, and they prided themselves with teaching general neuropsych very well. They have been taking steps toward a child fellowship, but these steps are small. It has been "considered" for a few years now. Who knows? They may have a child fellowship next year or not in the next 10 years for all I know.

About 2.5 years ago, I believe it was the chair that stepped down. TT-Lubbock had a GREAT neuro-oriented researcher that GREATLY wanted the position. He however was NOT interested in teaching or much of anything else besides his research in my opinion. He did not get the job of chair, got really upset by it, and left for another academic program. The program lost some prestige in that this guy did a good deal of published clinical research, but as far as training is concerned, the program took a step towards being more friendly.

Historically, they also give A LOT of preference to Texas Tech students. For whatever reason, most TT students choose not to stay in Lubbock. I believe 1 did stay in this past match. Assuming many TT students choose not to stay, any competitive US med student stands a GOOD chance of matching there.