Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX-ms1-to-be

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to match to Texas Tech (Go Red Raiders!). I'm looking into getting an apartment in Lubbock and I will be looking for a roomate. Since I don't know anyone else going to Tech that needs a roomate, I thought I would post here. If you are going to Tech and are looking for a roomate, please drop me a pm. Thanks and congrats to all who matched in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!!!!! I also matched at Texas Tech. Congratulations!!
I have an MS1 friend at Tech and he's told me to show up there in June to look for housing. I was comparing room/board and miscellaneous expenses for the various TX school at USNews.com and found this:
Tech: $7977
Houston:$13710
Southwestern: $17770
San Antonio: $18909

So, definitely look likes we'll be saving a lot. I haven't decided whether I'd like to go solo or have a roommate, but will make up my mind probably after 2nd look or whatever it's called at Tech.
Are you excited about hitting the plains or what? I am fed of the humid and polluted city I live in, and just want August to get here as soon as possible. Great to find another Tech--2006 student out there!

Hey Castaway,

Congrats on the acceptance! :clap: Isn't the cost of living in Lubbock great! I'm just trying to kill time in classes, hoping August rolls around quickly. So when is second look weekend, sometime in June? Also, do u know when we get to list our preferences as to where we want to spend our third and fourth years? I'm thinking probably when we have to put down our deposit. Anyway, it's great to hear from a future classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to both of you on getting in to Tech. Do either of you know much about Lubbock? I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Tech, since I probably won't get into my state school. (And I may not go there even if I do get in.) So I've started looking at places I would like to live, and I was just wondering if there was an area most med students live, and what the best parts of town were. Thanks, and see you in August!

Tech is cheap in housing since no one wants to live in the armpit of America... Lubbock, Texas

•••quote:••• Tech is cheap in housing since no one wants to live in the armpit of America... Lubbock, Texas ••••Hey Cheswick,

Don't hate cause you didn't get in. We weren't the ones sitting on the adcoms. Why don't you tell the 200,000+ living in Lubbock that no one wants to live in the "armpit of America". With a cocky attitude like that, no wonder a school didn't pick you.

Hey fellow future classmates--it's awesome to get in touch with you!! Yeah, the living expenses for Lubbock are among the lowest in Texas and probably America. Quite likely El Paso will be even cheaper. Talking about our preferences--I am not sure if we get to rank the campuses when we turn in our placement fee in March or whether we wait until orientation in August. I am quite sure I'll go for El Paso (this is one of the reasons I love Tech). Still haven't heard a thing about 2nd look weekend, although a friend going to another TX school said hers is in late March.

I can ID with the desire to while away the time until August rolls around. Unfortunately I never took Organic II and am taking it now; so not too much free time for me.

As for the city of Lubbock: don't know much about it, but I'll be talking to my MS1 friend about living there in the next few weeks. I'll post info as I get it. Again, it's great to "hear" from y'all. Yeeeeeeeeee-haw!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TX-ms1-to-be:

Don't hate cause you didn't get in. We weren't the ones sitting on the adcoms. Why don't you tell the 200,000+ living in Lubbock that no one wants to live in the "armpit of America". With a cocky attitude like that, no wonder a school didn't pick you.•••••Don't worry about that I already have told several of the 200,000+ that live there what I think about their crappy city. Congrats on being accepted to Tech.

Next time leave your personal attacks at home...expecially when you don't even know me.

I have to agree with the opinions of the previous poster. I interviewed at Tech, and on the drive up there, I had an experience which summarizes my opinion of the city of Lubbock.

I was stuck on a farm road, one lane each way, and no opportunities to pass for many miles. I found myself behind a truck pulling a horse trailer. So for over an hour, I had to stare at a horse's ass.

This image stuck with me throughout the entire drive, and for much of the time that followed. Exclusive of any judgements about the school, the fact that Tech is 500 miles from anywhere convinced me that it was not the place for me. My best friend's sister went there for med school, and I have a lot of respect for her, but I myself could never spend 4 years there (or even another 4 hours).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by PatDaddy:
•I have to agree with the opinions of the previous poster. I interviewed at Tech, and on the drive up there, I had an experience which summarizes my opinion of the city of Lubbock.

I was stuck on a farm road, one lane each way, and no opportunities to pass for many miles. I found myself behind a truck pulling a horse trailer. So for over an hour, I had to stare at a horse's ass.

This image stuck with me throughout the entire drive, and for much of the time that followed. Exclusive of any judgements about the school, the fact that Tech is 500 miles from anywhere convinced me that it was not the place for me. My best friend's sister went there for med school, and I have a lot of respect for her, but I myself could never spend 4 years there (or even another 4 hours).•••••Apparently the horse totting hillbillies never heard of the "Texas Pass" (Driving on to the shoulder to let a fast car go around you on roads such as these) part of the "Drive Friendly: The Texas Way" campaign.

I had to learn the Texas Courtesy Pass in Driver's Ed. I hate people who refuse to be passed. I encouter that a lot outside of Texas, but when Texans do it, it's even worse.

THe Texas Pass is a courtesy thing here...done pretty much only in Texas. ON my 800 mile treks home through a few states, there's no such thing.

Warren,

Hey bud. You write an extreme, not to mention blatant and ignorant, statment about a city. Then you cry out about being attacked because people don't know you. Well, anyone can judge from your snotty remark that your acting like a pompous @$$. Maybe your location should read "Stuck-up ville" instead of "Stuckeyville".

Peace Out

Members don't see this ad :)
Warren: When you get in (and I hope it's soon), your bitterness will be replaced by the sweetest sweetness. Trust me on this one.

Castaway-

I have no bitterness for those who are accepted, regardless of where. I'm more than happy for those who did get accepted to Tech.

The whole armpit of America is an Aggie thing as well as some of south-central Texas thing (more Aggie than anything).

At least Texas Tech has Bobby Knight. If any of you Tech students see him on campus, be sure to yell "What's up Knight!" then run for your life.

Drudging up an old topic, because I just found these forums. :)

I'm gonna be going to Tech in the fall as well. :) I'm actually quite excited about it. I went to high school here for a couple years, and I have family that lives close-by (free meals :wink: ). Heh, even as an Aggie, I think I can survive a couple years in Lubbock.

That being said, I'm actually already living up here and fairly familiar with the area, so if any of you have any questions I'd be glad to help out.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Espion:
•Drudging up an old topic, because I just found these forums. :)

I'm gonna be going to Tech in the fall as well. :) I'm actually quite excited about it. I went to high school here for a couple years, and I have family that lives close-by (free meals :wink: ). Heh, even as an Aggie, I think I can survive a couple years in Lubbock.

That being said, I'm actually already living up here and fairly familiar with the area, so if any of you have any questions I'd be glad to help out.•••••Espion-

Is it really as bad as I'm making it out to be. I mean I just constantly hear war storeis about it. TO me when I went up there for an A&M-Tech game it jsut seemed like a small city that was quit flat and nothing too exciting (kind of like Cs but without large cities nearby).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Warren P. Cheswick:
Espion-

Is it really as bad as I'm making it out to be. I mean I just constantly hear war storeis about it. TO me when I went up there for an A&M-Tech game it jsut seemed like a small city that was quit flat and nothing too exciting (kind of like Cs but without large cities nearby).•••••Actually, I like Lubbock a lot. The only thing I really don't care for, is the fact that its not near any large cities. The closest would be Dallas/Ft. Worth, about 3.5 hours away. Even so, Lubbock is a city of 200,000 people, definitely large enough to get our kicks when we want them. :wink:

I like Lubbock because its an easy place to live. There's no high crime rates, the cost of living is very manageable (I have a 1500 square foot place for $550 a month), and even with traffic you can still get across town in 20 minutes or less. Plus, Lubbock is growing like crazy. A lot of Lubbock is very new, so it doesn't have too much of that "dirty West Texas" feel to it.

And flat? I don't care about flat. It just means you can see more of the sky. :)

I grew up in Lubbock, and I do agree that it's a nice place to live. They have a mall, the Depot District is a fun place to eat and to go to the clubs down there, and they have other clubs like Midnight Rodeo and such. They have movie theaters, nice parks, etc. My friends from high school pay a lot less for their apartment than I do! The only thing for me now is that when I make the drive from College Station to home, I wonder why I ever lived up there in the first place :) It's not green, there aren't any "hills" or anything, and yes, it's FLAT.

Espion--Welcome. Just sent you a PM.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Aggiemaj:
•I grew up in Lubbock, and I do agree that it's a nice place to live. They have a mall, the Depot District is a fun place to eat and to go to the clubs down there, and they have other clubs like Midnight Rodeo and such. They have movie theaters, nice parks, etc. My friends from high school pay a lot less for their apartment than I do! The only thing for me now is that when I make the drive from College Station to home, I wonder why I ever lived up there in the first place :) It's not green, there aren't any "hills" or anything, and yes, it's FLAT.•••••Yes, I do kinda miss how green College Station is. :(

(But its not humid up here. :wink: )

I went to highschool in Lubbock, and go to TTU (as an undergrad) currently. Good luck to you people coming here. I've enjoyed the community here very much and rensent anyone putting it or the people here down. But, I gotta get out of this dust bowl of a town! There's just no grass or trees or hills... just dust as far as the eye can see!

DFW is farther than that...it would have to be because I live 60 miles west of Ft. Worth and it's about four hours from here...Lubbock is okay...I'm not a fan of west Texas but if they take me when I apply then it's cool and groovy with me...

Lubbock is 304 miles from Fort Worth (actually TCU: I used to go there)

hey all--
what do you think of this, appeared in the May 9 issue of the Houston Chronicle (under State news):

(Sorry, I couldn't get a link to the article and had to reproduce the whole thing. Other published views and the "offensive" piece Rao wrote can be found at:

<a href="http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/editorial/3250253.htm" target="_blank">http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/editorial/3250253.htm</a>

<a href="http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews....chive=1" target="_blank">http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews....chive=1</a>

Here's the Chronicle article:

A Houston man is suing Texas Tech University School of Medicine, claiming he was expelled for his outspoken views and for writing about an autopsy performed by a local coroner.

Sandeep Rao said a newspaper column he wrote angered the professor who performed the autopsy, Jerry Spencer, Lubbock County's chief medical examiner.

Rao's Jan. 24 article in the University Daily said that, "absent the possibility of a macabre necrophilic relationship," coroners have no chance to know patients. He wrote he did not want to "embrace" forensic medicine because it is "formulaic," "dispassionate" and "cold."

Rao said Spencer cut arteries "in a manner not unlike that seen on infomercials advertising steak knifes,"

Rao, 23, still a student in Texas Tech's MBA program, was expelled from the medical school effective April 25. He is seeking reinstatement into the medical school, from which he had planned to graduate this spring. A hearing is scheduled Friday in Lubbock.

Texas Tech spokeswoman Cindy Rugeley said Rao's expulsion "involved more than he is telling the press," but that she cannot elaborate because of student confidentiality laws.

Rao's attorney, Andrew S. Golub of Houston, said a letter from Texas Tech stated it was expelling Rao for publication of his column and for academic misconduct for selling test information to first- year medical students.

Golub said Tech officials wrote that they initially wanted to expel Rao after concluding he had violated a confidentiality agreement by writing about the autopsy, but decided to put him on probation after he appealed.

After his column was published, Rao was accused of academic misconduct and placed on probation. According to Golub, the letter said Rao was being expelled because the two allegations were "lumped together."

The fact that the academic misconduct charge resulted only in probation proves Rao was expelled for publishing the article and for his outspoken views, a violation of his First Amendment rights, Golub said.

He said Rao signed a confidentiality agreement before the January autopsy saying he would not name the dead person nor the diagnosis. However, his article did reveal the diagnosis.

Golub said the charges that Rao sold test information was false and that his client simply prepared study guides to help first-year students. The lawyer said he found the timing of this allegation "suspicious" because it came on the heels of Spencer's complaint.

This link should take you to the expelled student's piece:

<a href="http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/01/24/3c4f985a495ec?in_archive=1" target="_blank">http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/01/24/3c4f985a495ec?in_archive=1</a>