Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, after years of taking pre-requisite courses, studying for the PCAT, staring at Benzene rings until my retinas experienced burn-in like a plasma television, and questioning whether I'd even get an interview offer with an 86 composite PCAT, I'm finally heading to the next level...

Strange feeling really...

However, it's now time to get over the euphoria... it's time to get back to reading for my Cell Biology exam tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations Zeke!! Great job.

I hope to be hearing from Tech soon. :thumbup:

Thank you very much. I'm as much relieved as excited :). I was updated on-line this morning, and I got my letter today. My girlfriend called from apartment just now to tell me, and from what she read to me, I believe I'm headed to Amarillo for all 4 years (yay!).

Oh yeah, she also told me that indeed, there was approximately a 1/2 pound of confetti in the envelope :). Good luck to all of those still waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
My mail doesn't come to around 4 or 5 ish but just went to check my status online under the application status and I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! I just called to tell my hubby and am now a blubbering, crying mess! I'm going to Amarillo baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my stats just in case anyone is interested......

GPA 3.8
PCAT 84
Work experience as a Pharmtech at Supertarget and shadowed a pediatric pharmacist at a hospital

No bachelors degree.... in fact, all but two of my prerequisites were completed at a community college... proves that dreams really do come true!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! I"ll see you in Amarillo!

Congrats to you too! I started out as an uncertain 17 year-old at a community college and it feels good to now be able to build a solid and fulfilling career.

And in case if anyone is interested as well:

3.7 Pre-PHR GPA, No degree, no pharmtech experience (but tons of retail experience including management - which I pointed out in the interview), some pharmacy shadowing, some various volunteer activities, and PCAT: 86 Composite, 95 Chem, 85 Quant, 86 Biol... (and it really goes south from there - not what I expected!)

Congrats to both of you!!!

You both have good stats, great GPA's and PCAT's in the 80's. Glad you're in, don't hesitate to ask any questions, either here or e-mail (pm me if you want my e-mail).

Martin's about to log on, so you'll think he's cool

my mom thinks i'm cool.

congrats to you guys and future acceptees :love:

Ive been accepted to the Abilene campus. Congrats to everyone.

Ive been accepted to the Abilene campus. Congrats to everyone.

Hey there. My paperwork says that my P3 and P4 years are in Amarillo. I assume that means that P1 & P2 are also in Amarillo since allocation to Abilene means all 4 there? Did your paperwork specifically state acceptance to Abilene?

Thanks and congratulation to everyone.

hey mbishop &/or jbuprepharm, I was wondering if you guys have any idea as to when the P1s will have to be in Amarillo for the Fall semester? I wanted to take a trip at the end of July, do you think it will be safe to be in Amarillo on the first of August? Thanks in advance.

I think we started everything on august 8th. So probably sometime around then. The reason you have to be here so early is because P1's have an orientation type class (it's useless but helpful) that starts 2 weeks before the normal semester starts. However, I don't know the exact date, but Linda Goldstein or Mike Schwettman may know.

If I remember correctly, a gym membership to Gold's Gym is included in our tuition? Is it for the location on Bell or Blackburn street?

Also, any advice on which apartments to stay at in Amarillo? Is it worth the price difference to stay a minute away from campus as opposed to 15 minutes? Do most students go home for lunch or do they eat nearby? How long is lunch break anyways? Thanks so much, can you tell I'm eager to get to Amarillo:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. My paperwork says that my P3 and P4 years are in Amarillo. I assume that means that P1 & P2 are also in Amarillo since allocation to Abilene means all 4 there? Did your paperwork specifically state acceptance to Abilene?

Thanks and congratulation to everyone.

Yes the letter specifically stated Abilene. Congrats on your acceptance.:D

If I remember correctly, a gym membership to Gold's Gym is included in our tuition? Is it for the location on Bell or Blackburn street?

Also, any advice on which apartments to stay at in Amarillo? Is it worth the price difference to stay a minute away from campus as opposed to 15 minutes? Do most students go home for lunch or do they eat nearby? How long is lunch break anyways? Thanks so much, can you tell I'm eager to get to Amarillo:rolleyes:

The Gold's membership is for the blackburn location, because I think the Bell location closed down, although it was good there too.

Apartments, Winchester (where mbishop lives) and Quail Creek (where I live) are pretty popular for students, Remington and Renaissance also. It's definitely worth living close IMO, you'll be back and forth from school and home so much, it's nice to have a 2-3 minute drive like we have.

Lunch... some take lunch, some eat at home, some eat out a lot, it just depends. You'll never have less than an hour for lunch, except on some convocation days, when you'll have like 15 minutes, but that's why Taco Bell is so close :idea:

Our lunch breaks this semester are anywhere from 90 minutes to a couple hours, depending on your lab day and stuff.

keep asking questions, we're happy to share the info

i also got accepted today!!! got home from work at 11 to see the letter on the table. it's a great feeling. see you all Aug. 5!

Congratulations Oldguardisdead!!!!!

Jbuprepharm, thanks for the info! Right now we are trying decide when we should move. I was thinking early July that way it gives us time to get settled in and for my hubby aka moneybag to find a job. How early did you move?

pharmcat: i think both gold's are hanging around. the bell one is the new one if i understand correctly. maybe i should work out more.

you should move as early as you feel comfortable. that way you can get used to the amarilloness. I'd suggest either winchester or huntington pointe for apartments. both are close, and HP is a bit cheaper, but I like winchester personally.

julierx: we actually had our white coat ceremony on august 6, 2006 (the first sunday). and i guess boot camp started immediately after...it seems like ages ago.
i'd estimate yall having to be here at about the same time (august 5-6) but there doesn't appear to be any official information posted about this just yet.

also you can call us by our real names now, since you're accepted.
just kidding
but seriously

Congratulations Oldguardisdead!!!!!

Jbuprepharm, thanks for the info! Right now we are trying decide when we should move. I was thinking early July that way it gives us time to get settled in and for my hubby aka moneybag to find a job. How early did you move?

Well, my fiance and I graduated undergrad on May... 6 I think, got married June 10, and moved out.

I would move early enough to get settled and find a job and stuff. Like Martin said, whenever you feel comfortable... OR whenever an apartment you want opens up, which is less flexible.

Depending on what you want to spend, Winchester and Renaissance are probably the nicest that are close by. I think Huntington Point is a bit cheaper, but not as new/nice

While I was studying for an exam earlier this morning, I thought up a rather odd question I want to ask current students @ Tech:

The textbooks used in the coursework there... How valuable are they as a resource? Great, good, bad, or terrible?

I've seen a bit of both in my undergrad... My Eukaryotic genetics course had a horrible textbook... (would use terminology in early chapters that was not presented until the very last chapters) and I almost always wound up consulting another source for a better explanation. Then on the other hand my Cell Biology text this semester is great. It has concisely written information, logical organization, practical visuals, etc.

Thanks ladies and gents.

most textbooks in our classes are completely superfluous.

90% of what any prof teaches is in the lectures. And I don't read anyway, so they're totally useless to me. The only books that are useful to everyone are the DDS (drug delovery systems) books, because of the practice problems and lab procedures. but really, in most cases, reading for class will help fill in some things... maybe.

Before you buy anything, check with us. Besides, if you really want a book, I'll sell it to you for half the price of the bookstore

Excellent! This is why I'm so pleased that I got accepted to Amarillo instead of Abilene... Although it'd have been an honor to part of the first class to graduate from the Abilene campus, I'd have missed out on the opportunity to learn from my more advanced peers :).

Another odd question: Who are the cell phone providers up in Amarillo?

I use Verizon presently, and on both trips I've taken to Amarillo this year, my phone was on roam as soon as I got about 30 miles away from Amarillo on 287N.

I know Alltell has a monopoly on the "small-town" cell phone market, but Amarillo sure didn't seem anything like the rural area I was falsely lead to believe it would be. I assume Cingular probably has some share of the market there with their overpriced plans and overrated service... What does everyone up there currently use?

I have Cingular, Martin has sprint, both work equally well.

Cingular provides a small discount for being a student, I don't know about sprint. I would definitely lose the Verizon before coming here, because, as of present, they don't have much if any coverage here

Thanks for the response guys. I just got my letter and it states that I will be in Amarillo for the third and fourth years. I had requested Dallas, and I thought it would be pretty guaranteed that I received it. Should I bring it to the school's attention, or is it not a big deal to change it? Did any other acceptees not receive the city they wanted for the third and fourth years?

Thanks for the response guys. I just got my letter and it states that I will be in Amarillo for the third and fourth years. I had requested Dallas, and I thought it would be pretty guaranteed that I received it. Should I bring it to the school's attention, or is it not a big deal to change it? Did any other acceptees not receive the city they wanted for the third and fourth years?

I got what I requested, fortunately. From what I remember at the interview, a change request form is to be filled out in the fall of the P2 year for reallocation. I believe it was Sharon Harrison that spoke on the subject, though I'm not certain. If my memory serves me correct, she went on to state that somewhere around 90% of people get their change of location that they request.

Yea I thought so, I just think it's a little weird that I didn't get Dallas. Oh well, I'm just happy that I got in, who knows, maybe I'll grow to like it in Amarillo..

Before you buy anything, check with us. Besides, if you really want a book, I'll sell it to you for half the price of the bookstore

please take my biochem book

please take my biochem book

I take it that Biochem was no fun? That is one of the major classes in the first semester, P1 year, right? Did any of y'all take undergraduate Biochemistry? I'm in it now and have wondered how much different Biochemistry would be at the PharmD level. Is it a whole lot harder, or just a whole lot different focus, or both?

I took it in undergrad, and the scope is completely different, at least from my class.

It's 5 days a week, it's not terribly hard to understand, but it's SOOO much material.

Anyway, he wants to get rid of the book, like me, because you never use it in the class. Hint: any "recommended" book, is not worth buying

anybody have any idea as to how many spots should be left for the PharmD class at TTU for fall 2007? I just got an interview invitation but I'm wondering whether it's even worth going since alot of the spots may have already been given away.

You're wondering if it's worth going? If you already paid the application fee (which you must have), taken the time to apply, write your essays, etc. and would want to go to the school, I'd think it would be worth it, personally.

Go, Martin and I both interviewed on the last day, which was in April. We're both here.

Very good to know! I'm only asking this question, which I understand does seem odd at first, because I was told at the UT interview that those who interview in the first rounds have an exponentially greater chance of getting in due to the rolling admissions. I interviewed at UH and am about to interview at Kingsville and Tech and was wondering if admissions operated the same way at these schools. Thanks for the replys!

Very good to know! I'm only asking this question, which I understand does seem odd at first, because I was told at the UT interview that those who interview in the first rounds have an exponentially greater chance of getting in due to the rolling admissions. I interviewed at UH and am about to interview at Kingsville and Tech and was wondering if admissions operated the same way at these schools. Thanks for the replys!

It's probably true that they have a better chance, but there's one thing I've been wondering about...... we've seen so many people here in the forum with multiple acceptances. They can only go to one school, so if they've already selected their top choice and turned down the others, then that's at least a couple more spots that may have opened at any given school. I'm thinking tha tsince some of the schools are requiring deposits pretty quickly here, it won't be long before we have a better idea about how many spots there will truly be in this next class.

Hope that made sense.....

tech does do rolling admissions. you have a better chance if you interview early, but like tim said, a good handful of people in the very last interview are students now (like me).

Just FYI, got accepted on Friday.

Going to Dallas for P3/P4.

/grats

that reminds me, i need to fill out that paperwork to switch from lubbock to dallas

I've got a question for you current students. I'm looking at the first semester's courses such as Cell Bio/Anatomy, Biochem, and what appears to be some intro to pharmacy practice type courses (based on the descriptions).

Since ya'll have first-hand experience with the first year academics of the program, are these good things to do the summer before the program?

1. Start to learn the top 100 drug names, generic names, basic pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of each.
2. Review O-Chem nomenclature, functional groups and properties of each.
3. Review basic anatomy and physiology.
4. Review microbiology/immunology basics.

Also, I notice the immunization clerkship in the first semester. I'm not too intimidated by blood, or the idea of giving or receiving shots, but I've never done it before. One of my best friends is a vet tech. After the interview, I mentioned to him that some of the current students mentioned this clerkship and he told me that he could talk his vet into letting my volunteer there. Then my friend would teach me how to draw blood, give shots, set-up IV's, etc. and possibly do a few on some of the animals there, giving me some experience with it. He said that if I could do it on a dog, then I would be ready to do it to almost any human.

What do ya'll think about this? Is it that hard to "get the hang of it," and do enough people struggle with it that I'll want to get some practice in ahead of time?

I've got a question for you current students. I'm looking at the first semester's courses such as Cell Bio/Anatomy, Biochem, and what appears to be some intro to pharmacy practice type courses (based on the descriptions).

Since ya'll have first-hand experience with the first year academics of the program, are these good things to do the summer before the program?

1. Start to learn the top 100 drug names, generic names, basic pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of each.
2. Review O-Chem nomenclature, functional groups and properties of each.
3. Review basic anatomy and physiology.
4. Review microbiology/immunology basics.

Also, I notice the immunization clerkship in the first semester. I'm not too intimidated by blood, or the idea of giving or receiving shots, but I've never done it before. One of my best friends is a vet tech. After the interview, I mentioned to him that some of the current students mentioned this clerkship and he told me that he could talk his vet into letting my volunteer there. Then my friend would teach me how to draw blood, give shots, set-up IV's, etc. and possibly do a few on some of the animals there, giving me some experience with it. He said that if I could do it on a dog, then I would be ready to do it to almost any human.

What do ya'll think about this? Is it that hard to "get the hang of it," and do enough people struggle with it that I'll want to get some practice in ahead of time?

1. Learning the names wouldn't hurt, I wouldn't bother with the rest (unless you're just curious, then by all means)
2. O chem, the class you only needed to pass O chem, don't worry about that stuff
3. Again, this couldn't hurt, but you'd be better served just taking the summer the relax.
4. Don't worry about the micro stuff, and for immunology, if you've had it before, I wouldn't worry too much.

The take home message is, relax. Enjoy your summer, they will drill everything in to you like you can't imagine, so don't do it to yourself. If you don't have pharmacy experience, it would be good to familiarize yourself with the top drugs, but again, relax. If you have some time you don't know how to fill, look over what you've mentioned. But I hereby decree that you are not allowed to study during the summer

Amen to that! After six years of juggling working full time, going to school and raising a family, I am going to take my first REAL break and enjoy the summer with my family before the cycle starts again.

Also, FYI, I asked this same question during the interview because I wanted to know how to best prepare myself for the rigors of Pharmacy school and both the student and the professor interviewing told me to just enjoy the down time because you'll need it!

I don't want to go off topic concerning course work; however, I called the Winchester Apartments today and they told me they were an "all electric" facility. Could anyone who is currently living, or anyone who knows someone living there give me an idea of how much you spend on utilities? I can imagine the heating/cooling bill will surpass the cost of renting :D

Hello. I am kind of new at this. I have an interview at TTU next week.

Is the interview day a good day to request preference to Abilene as opposed to Amarillo because I did not request Abilene when I applied ?

How likely am I to get this request if accepted?

Thanks for your reply.

pharmnhammer

Hello. My previous message was directed at mbishop.

Is the interview day a good day to request preference to Abilene as opposed to Amarillo because I did not request Abilene when I applied ?

Thanks for your reply.

pharmnhammer

Hey there (I love the handle!). A form is distributed at the end of the interview day which allows you to select priorities for Abilene and Amarillo, as well as where you spend your P3 and P4 years (Dallas, Lubbock, Amarillo). Note: If you are selected to attend the Abilene campus, I believe you are locked in to spend all 4 years there.

Jbuprepharm, thanks for the advice. The reason that I am leaning towards studying is because I will not have a bachelor's degree at the end of my undergrad, and I know a lot of people that are accepted (like half) do have them. I have taken Genetics, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry (which I suppose are among the most important non-pre req science courses to take). Thanks for the advice.

But how about the immunization clerkship? Is it that hard to pick up, or should I just worry about it down the road?

Thanks again like always for answering my questions!

the immunizations thing is a breeze, don't even think about it until it rolls around.

degree or not, just relax this summer. travel or something, but do yourself a favor and don't study

Thanks for your reply.

pharmnhammer

During my interview, one of the faculty members said that about 40% of the applicants had Abilene listed as their first choice. Since there are only ~40 spots at Abilene, that might affect your chances. Also, if you are next on the waitlist and you put Abilene as your first choice and all the Abilene spots are filled the offer will still be extended to you regardless of what you put as your preference. Hope that helps!

I will be interviewing potential canidates on March 19th.

Beware...