Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just put down my deposit for an apartment. I'll tell ya now, one thing I REALLY dislike about Amarillo... EVERY apartment complex (seriously, I've spoken with at least 15 different ones) require only 30 day move-out notices from their tenants, where as here in DFW, I've never heard of anything less than 45, and consider 60-90 days normal...

I already had to give my 60 day notice, so I was kinda pressured into taking what I could get... Moving in before July...

Members don't see this ad.

Years 1 and 2 in Amarillo.
Years 3 and 4 in Lubbock.

I will see all of you on August 5th. Current students, good luck on your final exams!!!!!

CHEERS

I heard that rejection letters aren't sent out until the end of July. I had my interview on 3/23. If my status hasn't changed and have not received a letter, does this mean that i basically didn't get in? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that rejection letters aren't sent out until the end of July. I had my interview on 3/23. If my status hasn't changed and have not received a letter, does this mean that i basically didn't get in? thanks

you may very well be waitlisted. I didn't interview until the last day and I was waitlisted, but I ended up getting accepted. I don't recall when I got a letter/notification telling me I was waitlisted, but if that's the case, get ready to wait. They can get an open spot for you as late as the week before boot camp. :(

on the bright side, their dumb rolling admissions are now out of your control (and not worth worrying about) so go have a great summer! :)

hey mbishop, thanks for the advice. However, Tech is the last school I've been waiting to hear from, and I planned on going back to school if I didn't get in anywhere (starting this June)
I wanted to take more courses to raise my GPA, starting this summer, as well as do some research. Also, I recently started working at CVS. Basically, I wanted to start right away to strengthen myself as an applicant. If I go with this plan, and spend tons of money on more classes, then find out later that I got in, that would suck. Should I just take this chance and go ahead with the summer courses?

hey mbishop, thanks for the advice. However, Tech is the last school I've been waiting to hear from, and I planned on going back to school if I didn't get in anywhere (starting this June)
I wanted to take more courses to raise my GPA, starting this summer, as well as do some research. Also, I recently started working at CVS. Basically, I wanted to start right away to strengthen myself as an applicant. If I go with this plan, and spend tons of money on more classes, then find out later that I got in, that would suck. Should I just take this chance and go ahead with the summer courses?

I can tell you that I heard one of the ladies in the office say the other day that the final letters would be sent out beginning of May as well as the waitlist letters. I would keep checking the status online, this will be updated first. Other than that I dont really know what to tell you. I would say go ahead with the classes if you dont hear anything before then. I know it sucks, hang in there...

Does anyone know if there will be any meetings in the summer?

When will you guys be moving to Amarillo?

Unless things changed from last year there will be no meetings this summer. You just need to be there the day of the White Coat Ceremony. As for apartments I would recommend moving in at least a week before bootcamp. Bootcamp is a three hour class so its best to give it your full attention and be able to get to know your classmates without having to worry about turning on your cable...

I am on the same boat as you are, so dont feel alone. I have been waiting a very long time hoping to hear something. What I am planning to do is wait one more week and then go on with my plans to better myself as an applicant for next year. I hope we both hear something good soon. take care.

I know that this is off-topic, but I'm debating on whether to take more science or non-science courses, like business or language courses. I know that a strong science GPA makes you more competitive, but isn't going out of the box encouraged as well? I want pharmacy schools to know that I'm serious about pharmacy, so should I go on the science route? Or take classes that I've always wanted to take? Any advice would help. Thanks!

I know that this is off-topic, but I'm debating on whether to take more science or non-science courses, like business or language courses. I know that a strong science GPA makes you more competitive, but isn't going out of the box encouraged as well? I want pharmacy schools to know that I'm serious about pharmacy, so should I go on the science route? Or take classes that I've always wanted to take? Any advice would help. Thanks!

It depends on how strong your science GPA is. If it is strong you might want to take the classes that interest you. Remember though that the more higher level science you take now the better off you will be once you get here. Things like Biochemistry and Immunology will help out a bunch. I dont recommend taking any typical blow off classes but other things wouldnt be bad. Business classes might be good though since we learn some management stuff in pharmacy school. A finance class might not be bad either if that interests you. Language classes are good because it will help you in your practice. Think of subjects taht will help you in the future and take a few of those, its ok to go outside the box.

Has anyone chosen their loan lender? Any suggestions and why you choose the lender would be appreciated:) Thanks

I am using chase/jp morgan. I have not had much experience with any other lender and I don't think it matters much if you qualify for stafford loans as you will be locked into a 6% or so rate no matter which lender you choose.

I have all of my undergrad loans through Sallie Mae, so I'll probably use them out of convenience.

On a side note...Damn I'm gonna be in debt!!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm sure this was brought up already, but i am too lazy right too fish through 6 pages of thread and at that apt. sheet we got during the interview day (misplaced...): for those already attending, what is the average rent in amarillo including utilities for apts and houses?

i have a winchester 1BR
my rent was 598 + about 10 for water + power (depends on the weather and your a/c habits) + 93 for normal cable and internet

My online status has changed from "interviewed" to "alternate list". Have others who have interviewed received outright rejection letters? Or, is it if you interviewed but haven't been accepted yet then you're automatically on the "alternate list"?

Does anybody know which way it is?

Thanks,
GR

I was accepted elsewhere with a generous grant so I have let this experience go away...folks were more time sensitive elsewhere....hopefully we will all serve our oaths after 2011...good luck and keep at it...will visit you guys when possible....GPA, PCAT or Interviews..folks the significance of it all is the total person :love: ...Au revoirs

My online status has changed from "interviewed" to "alternate list". Have others who have interviewed received outright rejection letters? Or, is it if you interviewed but haven't been accepted yet then you're automatically on the "alternate list"?

Thanks,
GR

I'm not sure about the rejection letters, but we are on the same boat right now. GL

Thanks,
GR

i think the way it was explained to me was the top x% of those that haven't been yet accepted are put on a waiting list from which they bump up into accepted as others drop out/take other offers/etc.

Does anyone know how long after you accept your loans do you get the funds?

Does anyone know how long after you accept your loans do you get the funds?

you'll get the disburstment of your refund around the beginning of august, maybe in late july... I think, but I would doubt before July. disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but I think that's right. I did my loans late last year. However, when I did do mine I got the money in like 2 days

I just found out that I got in! Thankyou to all who helped me on this forum. I must have visited this place at least three times a week. And of course thanks to whoever decided to go somewhere else instead of Tech, which prob has a lot to do with how i got bumped in. Now, off to the land of loans and apt searching!

BTW, any advise on apt.s? Where are places I should definitely avoid? and why?
Answers to this question would help me out more than anything on the apt. search. Thanks!
:D

Congratulations!! :thumbup:

If I were you I'd start all the financial aid stuff asap. You have to submit the scholarship app by May 20th.

I just found out that I got in! Thankyou to all who helped me on this forum. I must have visited this place at least three times a week. And of course thanks to whoever decided to go somewhere else instead of Tech, which prob has a lot to do with how i got bumped in. Now, off to the land of loans and apt searching!

Answers to this question would help me out more than anything on the apt. search. Thanks!

for apts, I'd look at Winchester, Remington, and Renaissance if you want newer and nicer($$). But there are some less expensive options that aren't bad like Huntington Point.

oh and, congrats!

Congratulations! Once you narrow down which apartment you want to stay at, go to Apartmentratings.com for resident feedback to get the real scoop.

I have all of my undergrad loans through Sallie Mae, so I'll probably use them out of convenience.

On a side note...Damn I'm gonna be in debt!!!:eek:

Yep, we are going to be knee deep in debt, that's why I wanted to find a lender with the best incentive so I can save a few bucks:) After spending about an hour online and on the phone with lenders, here's what I found out. I hope this helps someone:) Disclaimer: read at your own risk! I am not a financial guru and am only regurgitating info

The best way to compare prices on a student loan is to match up the interest rates with all other factors held equal. But when lenders offer different types of discounts at different points in the repayment process, comparisons aren’t easy.

How do you compare a fee reduction with a lower interest rate? What about an interest rate reduction that doesn’t kick in until the fifth year of the loan?

The table below shows how to compare some typical types of discounts offered by companies that provide federal student loans. The most common federal student loans (Stafford loans) have a fixed 6.8% interest rate before any discount.

Discount Offered Equivalent Value
1% reduction of interest rate at start of loan
1.00%
1% lower interest rate at start of repayment (after 4 years of interest accrues without discount while student is in school)
0.78%
1% lower interest rate after 48 payments (see warning)
0.33%
1% reduction in fees charged to the borrower
0.23%
1% reduction of principal after 48 payments (see warning)
0.12%

Bank of America: 0.25% reduction with ACH payment, 2% reduction after 36 months of consecutive on time payments, $500 balance forgiveness

Chase: Zero origination fees, 0.60% rate reduction for ACH payment, 1% rate reduction after 12 months of consecutive on time payments, 1% rate reduction after 36 months of consecutive on time payments

Sallie Mae: Zero origination fees, 2% rate reduction after 24 months of consecutive on time payments, 1% rate reduction after 48 months of consecutive on time payments

College Board: 3.3% rate reduction after 33 months of consecutive on time payments, zero origination fees

Best incentive, IMHO, was with University Federal Credit Union. Here's the link to their terms.... and no I am not associated with any of these financial institutions:)

http://www.ufcu.org/accounts/loans/education/index.php

which apartment complexes have the more TTUHSC student-dense populations? Do you think living closer to campus is worth the extra rent money?

which apartment complexes have the more TTUHSC student-dense populations? Do you think living closer to campus is worth the extra rent money?

The order of apartment complexes' student density as far as I know is as follows:

Winchester, Quail Creek, Newport, Huntington Point, everything else

but they're all pretty close

Living closer doesn't necessarily mean paying the most for rent.
Remington is the most expensive (about 5% more than winchester, even though they are nearly identical) but its maybe 5-10 mins away.
Winchester will be 625 when fall rolls around and it is 3 minutes away with all green lights.
Huntington Point is nearly on top of the medical center and its cheaper.
Quail Creek is halfway between winchester and the medical center and I think its cheaper (tim would be able to tell you more accurately)

I'd say stay wherever you're most comfortable so get to visiting these places (and don't do it on a sunday like me or else you'll get stuck liking the only one i found open on sundays (winchester))

To everyone attending here in the fall. Make sure you check with us first before you buy your books. Because most of you won't use most of them, and you'll get them a LOT cheaper from us than from the book store, in fact, two of my books are still in the shrink-wrap.

One of our classmates has collected all of the books that our class is going to resell, so you should be able to find most of what you need without paying bookstore prices. Just a heads up.

For the apartment questions: I'd move to winchester, renaissance or huntington point personally. I'd avoid quail creek, the prices are going way up, and they're getting older and less pleasant to live in.

how do I contact you guys about buying books?

And also, is anyone interested in rooming at Winchester or know anyone who may be?

It's a good $260 cheaper for the 2 bed 2 bath. :-D

I'm trying to find out as soon as possible so I can start buying furniture while people at my school are moving out.

how do I contact you guys about buying books?

And also, is anyone interested in rooming at Winchester or know anyone who may be?

It's a good $260 cheaper for the 2 bed 2 bath. :-D

I'm trying to find out as soon as possible so I can start buying furniture while people at my school are moving out.

Can't help you with a roommate, but as far as the books go, just sit tight for now. I'll keep this thread updated about the books, but we'll probably have them for sale when you guys get here in august. Enjoy your summer

on my immunization stuff on the ttu site, it says I'm missing CPR. But I can't find CPR on the papers they gave us to fill out, nor can I find any kind of immunization called CPR online. Does anyone know what it is?

One more thing. In case anyone hasn't finished up their scholarship application, make sure you do it NOW. The deadline is today 5/20!!!

I don't know why it was emailed to me saying:

"In 14 days or less your immunization records will no longer satisfy school policy. Please click on the following link to check your immunization record. Thank you."

I did read that when I searched the ttuhsc site, but I wasn't sure if that was the CPR it was saying that I was missing.

Thanks

I don't know why it was emailed to me saying:

"In 14 days or less your immunization records will no longer satisfy school policy. Please click on the following link to check your immunization record. Thank you."

I did read that when I searched the ttuhsc site, but I wasn't sure if that was the CPR it was saying that I was missing.

Thanks

that's an automated email, ignore it, assuming you have everything but CPR done. CPR is covered during bootcamp, you can't miss it

Anyone know how we can find out our ranking for the alternate list?

Am I correct in thinking the only summer we will have classes is between our 3rd and 4th years?

Is signing a lease for 2 years while I'm in Amarillo, a good idea? I'm planning on Winchester, and I figured I'd lock in the rent. People living at Winchester, do you guys do your laundry in the unit, or at a laundromat?

Also, I know at the Interview they said to deliver our laptops straight from Dell to the IT Dept, is this really safe?

We will have rotations between the 3rd and 4th years of school all other summers we have off. As far as the laptops go, something seems to go wrong when you order from the Dell website because the order does not go through. There was a post somewhere in this thread about that and it also happened to me. It is probably something with the billing address being different from the shipping one. I had to call Dell to order and just shipped it to myself and will ship it to Amarillo soon.

zz215, are you staying in a 1/1 at winchester?

Am I correct in thinking the only summer we will have classes is between our 3rd and 4th years?

I believe so. That's what's in the 2005-2006 course catalog and I don't see why it'd be any different.

We will have rotations between the 3rd and 4th years of school all other summers we have off. As far as the laptops go, something seems to go wrong when you order from the Dell website because the order does not go through. There was a post somewhere in this thread about that and it also happened to me. It is probably something with the billing address being different from the shipping one. I had to call Dell to order and just shipped it to myself and will ship it to Amarillo soon.

So once you ship it to them, will we just pick it up at Bootcamp? Oh, and what kind did you get, a Latitude?

So once you ship it to them, will we just pick it up at Bootcamp? Oh, and what kind did you get, a Latitude?
From what I remember at the interview, yeah we get them at bootcamp. I did get a Latitutde.

you can go pick it up whenever you like (once you give them enough time to put their settings and programs in it) since it is your property after all.

Thanks Jbuprepharm, Pharmcat, and mbishop for all the apartment advise. For the most popular apartments, do you think it would be too late if I asked for a 1-BR in early July? B/c I can't move in till Aug 1, and it would suck to pay for July's rent when I have not moved in yet (due to the policy of being able to hold for only 30 days). Thanks a bunch!

I just got approved for DOVE PARK apts.

They seem nice and accept pets. The surrounding neighborhood looks nice too. They are VERY low in price for the area. Their reviews online are encouraging as well.