Texas Underserved/Rural Areas Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intrepidation

I wear PASG underwear
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does one exist?

I know many states have such programs that state medical schools look favorably upon it and the state pays for medical school if you agree to serve in an underserved region for 3 or 4 years.

I recently talked to someone who did the rural program in Kansas, and he is currently working in a small town of 3,000 making 127K a year and loving it. Sounds like my kind of plan.

I know there are plenty of underserved areas in Texas (Anything left of Austin, Right of Dallas, South of Houston, and all in-between is rather underserved).

However, I haven't been able to find any information regarding such programs. I am more than happy to attend TX state med schools- they're all great.

Anyone have information or in this program? Should I post this in MD instead of pre-MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly sure i've read something along these lines in Texas, but if i were you i'd call a med school or two and find out for sure. They're certain to point you in the right direction. --Trek

Intrepidation--
From what I can gather, all the TX schools want students who will practice in those areas, however A&M seems to be actually hard-core about rural medicine. I think I read somewhere on their website that they either have or will have classes specifically for rural health--the types of problems faced...--that are offered for med students through the masters department. Anyhow, you should probably start with A&M b/c, out of all the schools, they will most likely have what you are looking for. Good luck.