Texas Unhappy with the match, and any texans thinking of applying first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, lots of people seemed to have followed me in my footsteps and made the same mistake that I did. Here's the thing about the medical schools in texas, they don't care about hard work or ability, they want to put out family practice docs. That's why you have people with 5 interviews with good grades get in nowhere. The texas schools are difficult to predict.

So students that didn't match and have no OOS acceptances have a choice to make:

1. Change career. Most students will follow this route and go into another area of medicine, such as PA, nursing, pharmacy. Some students might rather go into grad school and get a PhD. There is nothing wrong with this. If every student reapplied who didn't match we'd have an extra thousand applicants in the pool the next year, then an extra 2000 the year after and in fact we are seeing a growth in applicant pool thanks to this so next year will even be harder to get in.

2. Reapply. Some students may think they got the short end of the stick. They had good stats but still didn't get in, which was my case. Don't play games again with your future. Texans do not have it good when it comes to medical schools, half the other states out there have a higher acceptance rate for applicants then texas and texas is going to be like california soon. So let's come up with a list of out of state schools that give texas students a chance in getting in, then save up, and apply far and wide and mostly to schools that give you a chance to get in.

3. Take time off to do something else such as seeking a masters degree. Some students will find it easier to get into medical school after getting a master's degree. I find this to be useless and a complete waste of education resources and a waste of time for an individual that could otherwise be productive. But the schools like it, so why not.

What to do in the meantime. If anyone wants advice on how to land an internet tutoring job, send me a PM, I know two reliable companies now that pay tutors to tutor online, that also make the payment system easy: You just tutor and wait for your paycheck. I'd also seek research jobs, and medical field related jobs. Teaching, research and field experience all look good in case you reapply next cycle. I would take a paid job over volunteer work. I'd take research over medical experience over teaching if you have to make a choice between them.

*If you are a new applicant in texas I would follow the same advice, apply far and wide out of state. I don't mean apply to 5 out of state schools, I mean no less then 10 if you are a serious applicant but at least apply to a few. The benefit for reapplicants is that these schools are first time applications, so you are treated like you are a first time applicant.

I'm going to try to come up with a list of schools that are good schools to apply to out of state. These are schools that other texans have gotten into in the past or have had interviews. We can also talk about tuition costs

1. University of Toledo in ohio. tuition: very high first year for out of state ($50,000/yr) but you will become a state resident during your first year and pay in state thereafter ($22,000/yr). Interviews: They accept a lot more than half the the students interviewed because they are very selective for interviews, which is good because a trip to a toledo interview is not a waste of your money.

Members don't see this ad.

Good man, solid advice. For reapplicants and new applicants I would also like to add that applying as EARLY as possible is of paramount importance. If the word on the street is right, and if Texas schools overextended their prematch acceptances, leaving little spots for match day, that means that most people who took the August MCAT or just applied late got completely screwed over.

Apparently it's not enough that we rack up interviews for the match since that has proven to be useless in many cases, you really want a prematch acceptance. Apply early, prepare for interviews well, and perform at your absolute best.

Good man, solid advice. For reapplicants and new applicants I would also like to add that applying as EARLY as possible is of paramount importance. If the word on the street is right, and if Texas schools overextended their prematch acceptances, leaving little spots for match day, that means that most people who took the August MCAT or just applied late got completely screwed over.

Apparently it's not enough that we rack up interviews for the match since that has proven to be useless in many cases, you really want a prematch acceptance. Apply early, prepare for interviews well, and perform at your absolute best.

Very well said...couldn't agree with you more.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey what are the chances of moving up the match list. i konw that one is waitlisted on every school that one did not match at and ranked higher that the one they did match with.

therefore, my question is when to waitlists start moving. and how much do they move for each school?
thanks!

hey what are the chances of moving up the match list. i konw that one is waitlisted on every school that one did not match at and ranked higher that the one they did match with.
That's not true. You don't get put on the waitlist by default. The schools will put together waitlists and then snail mail the people on it. For schools that you do not match at and are ranked higher, your file is simply kept open - that is the default until decided on otherwise by the medical school.

therefore, my question is when to waitlists start moving. and how much do they move for each school?
thanks!
Since it is a new system, no one really knows. The lists are being compiled and reports from SDNers reveal that some schools will not mail out waitlist information until March. Further reports state that for schools like UT Houston, waitlist will be very minimal.

how do they decide who goes on the waitlist?

how do they decide who goes on the waitlist?

I'm not sure. There's very little information about the waitlist on the main TMDSAS site. They never really mentioned waitlist at interviews either.

New information reported by AggieJohn states that TMDSAS/Deans of Admissions have decided to eliminate the match all together. Not sure when it takes effect, but I guess this makes match issues obselete.

Assuming they keep the November 15th rolling period or move to an October 15th rolling period, applying early is now even more important, especially since the application comes out in May, having a late MCAT is unadvisable.

Solution-

Sans MD/Phd spots, no Texas school should fill more than 5% of it's class with pre-match offers.

What's the sense of a MATCH BEFORE THE MATCH??

I am the first one to say that life isn't fair. When something is broken though it should be fixed.

This is why I love Texas. Guys, WRITE to every newspaper, blogger, college dean and person you can think of. Drown Austin in paper! Fill the inbox of every state senator! Let Kay know WE ARE THE FUTURE OF TEXAS MEDICINE AND WE WILL BE HEARD!

We are not talking about pre-med whining and complaining. We are talking about becoming procative and fixing something even the deans must admit is broken!

Texas needs good doctors! Texans are the best ones to fix this!

I really think the problem with the match this year and the amount of students with no match at all or acceptance has to do with the fact that the application pool is increasing each year way too fast because texans are applying only in texas and more people reapply each year. We need more schools also.

Solution-

Sans MD/Phd spots, no Texas school should fill more than 5% of it's class with pre-match offers.

What's the sense of a MATCH BEFORE THE MATCH??

I don't think this would change any results. The same people who got in, would get in anyway. The same people who didn't, wouldn't.

It would just add three months of stress to those of us who got some good news. The pre-match system allows some Texans to avoid spending $$$ for interviews out of state.

Early results are good for all of us. BUT they should have been much clearer about how many spots were left in the match.

I don't think this would change any results. The same people who got in, would get in anyway. The same people who didn't, wouldn't.

It would just add three months of stress to those of us who got some good news. The pre-match system allows some Texans to avoid spending $$$ for interviews out of state.

Early results are good for all of us. BUT they should have been much clearer about how many spots were left in the match.

True, they should have given a better accounting of the number of spots left.

Still if you are going to fill up 90% of the spots with pre-match offers, why have a match?

This whole thing could have been over and done with in Septmeber/October. All left would have been the people truly waiting on the waitlists.

I truly don't think they meant any harm, but got caught unawares.

This whole thing could have been over and done with in Septmeber/October. All left would have been the people truly waiting on the waitlists.

That's true, a really early match would be good for everybody -- we'd all know early where we stand with in-state schools.

They'd have to be on the ball to make it work.