-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Texas waitlist thread. Good luck everyone.
Started by TexasFool
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Adding myself to San Antonio, although I am not entirey sure what is happening. I never officially received anything saying I am in the alternate pool, but according to Dr. Jones the OOS pool was already so much smaller that everyone is still being cosidered. Hopefully that is right, since I'd really like to go to UTHSCSA!!
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
A&M
Jiggawho
Galveston
REAPI
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
A&M
Jiggawho
Galveston
REAPI
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z
any new info?
has anyone called any schools, if so what did they say. do they expect watlist movement or not. if so when?
i beleive it's safe to say utmb won't have any, that's the felling i got.
how come no one is posting anything.
has anyone called any schools, if so what did they say. do they expect watlist movement or not. if so when?
i beleive it's safe to say utmb won't have any, that's the felling i got.
how come no one is posting anything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
newdude said:any new info?
has anyone called any schools, if so what did they say. do they expect watlist movement or not. if so when?
i beleive it's safe to say utmb won't have any, that's the felling i got.
how come no one is posting anything.
I know, nobody is posting anymore.
btw, I have not heard anything about waitist movement. I think it occurs in april though
sj786 said:I know, nobody is posting anymore.
btw, I have not heard anything about waitist movement. I think it occurs in april though
Yeah, this thread is pretty quiet.... I have a feeling it will pick up once April and May roll around and waitlist movement begins!
I also have not heard anything...here's to more waiting
Waitlisted at A&M, Galveston, Houston and TTech! 🙁
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
InternationlDoc
A&M
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Galveston
REAPI
InternationlDoc
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z[/QUOTE]
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
InternationlDoc
A&M
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Galveston
REAPI
InternationlDoc
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z[/QUOTE]
Hi Everyone,
I will be leaving my job as a full-time research technician in the Baylor Neonatology Department at Texas Children's Hospital. We are looking for someone to replace me ASAP or no later than by May 2006, and so I wanted to see if there are any interested pre-meds/or otherwise interested candidates in the Houston area who might want some research experience. This may be an excellent opportunity for reapplicants to enhance their resume as it did for me during this past year.
The position is in a microbiology/immunology lab working with different rat and mouse models to test various means to treat/prevent various types of bacterial infections. I've had many opportunities to shadow teams of neonatologists in the NICU. Along the way I've had many vivid and meaningful experiences to share during interviews as a result of being exposed firsthand to some of the issues that we are working with in our lab. Also, I have been invited to attend countless pediatrics lectures at Baylor and have learned a great deal.
Availability: Can start ASAP or no later than by May 2006
Hours: 40/wk
Location: Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, TX
Employer: Baylor College of Medicine
Requirements: No prior knowledge/experience necessary.
I have really enjoyed this job and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in going to medical school. I was a reapplicant myself this past year and I felt that this position has strenghten my application and played a huge roll in my gaining acceptance. A year ago I found this position through SDN through one of the Texas forums and so I wanted to pass it along to someone else as well.
If you're interested, please either send me a private message on SDN or email me at [email protected] with your resume or any applicable information.
Thanks and good luck with everything.
I will be leaving my job as a full-time research technician in the Baylor Neonatology Department at Texas Children's Hospital. We are looking for someone to replace me ASAP or no later than by May 2006, and so I wanted to see if there are any interested pre-meds/or otherwise interested candidates in the Houston area who might want some research experience. This may be an excellent opportunity for reapplicants to enhance their resume as it did for me during this past year.
The position is in a microbiology/immunology lab working with different rat and mouse models to test various means to treat/prevent various types of bacterial infections. I've had many opportunities to shadow teams of neonatologists in the NICU. Along the way I've had many vivid and meaningful experiences to share during interviews as a result of being exposed firsthand to some of the issues that we are working with in our lab. Also, I have been invited to attend countless pediatrics lectures at Baylor and have learned a great deal.
Availability: Can start ASAP or no later than by May 2006
Hours: 40/wk
Location: Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, TX
Employer: Baylor College of Medicine
Requirements: No prior knowledge/experience necessary.
I have really enjoyed this job and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in going to medical school. I was a reapplicant myself this past year and I felt that this position has strenghten my application and played a huge roll in my gaining acceptance. A year ago I found this position through SDN through one of the Texas forums and so I wanted to pass it along to someone else as well.
If you're interested, please either send me a private message on SDN or email me at [email protected] with your resume or any applicable information.
Thanks and good luck with everything.
Just wanted to let you all know that one of my guy friends was accepted to UT-SA off the waitlist on 3/8. There is some movement at that school, which I think has been attributed to increase in class size?
As for his stats: 27 MCAT, tentative GPA 3.4-3.5
As for his stats: 27 MCAT, tentative GPA 3.4-3.5
Miss155 said:Hi
The movement for ut-h has begun, accepted via email 3/24
Congratulations! Will you be accepting your UT-H acceptance?
Adding myself to Houston, Galveston and Tech
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
A&M
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Galveston
REAPI
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z
Southwestern
blinkycat
roowala06
Houston
dancer75088
midwest77
REAPI
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
Baylor
San Antonio
ezlife786
star22
Tech
REAPI
Jiggawho
ezlife786
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
A&M
Jiggawho
InternationlDoc
Galveston
REAPI
InternationlDoc
Azninvaznxx
TCOM
RD330
Canuck99
dr.z
Hey, has anyone heard of anything about the Texas A&M wait list? like talked to their admission people...how many they're taking, what are the chances, things like that?
Reply to texasfool
It sounds really odd with those stats to not be accepted at some school. If you were flat out rejected by one school, then call them up and ask what the problem was. Maybe you references did not write flattering letters. You might also have someone help you with your personal statement. I have heard that the schools first impression comes from the PS. Also, the more schools that you apply to looks like a desperate act. Applying to all of the schools in texas is great, but I would only apply to the schools you really want to go to out of the state. I wish you good luck. PM me if I can help at all. TCOM 2010.
It sounds really odd with those stats to not be accepted at some school. If you were flat out rejected by one school, then call them up and ask what the problem was. Maybe you references did not write flattering letters. You might also have someone help you with your personal statement. I have heard that the schools first impression comes from the PS. Also, the more schools that you apply to looks like a desperate act. Applying to all of the schools in texas is great, but I would only apply to the schools you really want to go to out of the state. I wish you good luck. PM me if I can help at all. TCOM 2010.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard only 2 got off the waitlist last year.ILoveIceCream said:Hey, has anyone heard of anything about the Texas A&M wait list? like talked to their admission people...how many they're taking, what are the chances, things like that?
Hey congratulations!!!!Miss155 said:Hi
No, I am choosing to go to Baylor.
I wish i was smart enough to go there...*sigh*...and only 2 at a&m :-(...and i heard galveston took enough people this year to last 5...oh so sad year. Again 🙂.
newdude said:ANY INFO. REGARDING WAITLIST IN TEXAS.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ACCEPTED FOR HOW MANY SLOTS: that way we can see how many people have to say NO before we got a shot.
WHEN THE SCHOOLS SAY THEIR WAITLIST WILL MOVE.
DO THE SCHOOLS EVEN THINK THEIR WAITLIST WILL MOVE OR NOT.
thank you
p.s. this is my second time applying so for the people who only interviewed at texas schools and are only waitlisted at texas schools, you better start getting your application ready for reapplying. next time apply to ALOT and i mean ALOT of OOS schools. i was waitlisted at texas schools last year, needless to tell you how that went.
if you are waitlisted at any OOS school, WALK there on your bare knees to and hold their leg and beg for an acceptence. Do not let the leg go until they offer you an acceptence. That's your best shot.
any other questions, u know what to do.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i posted this earlier and ifigure i better bring it back again.
I am just trying to be brutally honest.
any ?.
Hey has anyone heard of anything from any school? this thread seems very quiet.
hey Roo..... I would have no idea if UTSW waitlist is moving yet. I'm guessing the bulk of it will happen after May 15th when students have to make a decision.ROOwala06 said:Yea, has anyone heard any news, particularly from UTSW? Potato, give me somethin' man!
Here's what I gathered from Galveston. And it is not a rumor! If you're waiting to get in, you might as well wish for the lottery. Apparently, even the person who's on top of the waiting list will not be offered an acceptance. As for A&M, they took 2 people last year, so the odds are slim too. So to A&M folks, if you have an acceptance and there's somewhere else that you guys want to go to, please go to that school if you've gotten accepted. There are some of us who genuinely, and truly want to go there. Me 🙂.
Man, waiting and waiting and waiting, just waiting yeah,oh man I have become so uncaring at this point, I really do want it, but i have no energy nemore...... 🙁
B
basten0
ILoveIceCream said:Here's what I gathered from Galveston. And it is not a rumor! If you're waiting to get in, you might as well wish for the lottery. Apparently, even the person who's on top of the waiting list will not be offered an acceptance. As for A&M, they took 2 people last year, so the odds are slim too. So to A&M folks, if you have an acceptance and there's somewhere else that you guys want to go to, please go to that school if you've gotten accepted. There are some of us who genuinely, and truly want to go there. Me 🙂.
Though I believe everything you said, I was wondering how you knew that the person at the top of the waitlist will not be offered an acceptance? My UTMB waitlist letter says that the list is not ranked. I mean I'm not naive enough to believe that they don't have a good idea of who they would take off the waitlist if they needed to but I was still wondering how you knew.
I think all the med schools should do what Southwestern does for their waitlist, i.e. tell you what quartile you are in. At least that way you have a better idea of what is going on.
From what I understand, for this year even Southwestern isn't ranking its waitlist unlike previous years. Strange.basten0 said:Though I believe everything you said, I was wondering how you knew that the person at the top of the waitlist will not be offered an acceptance? My UTMB waitlist letter says that the list is not ranked. I mean I'm not naive enough to believe that they don't have a good idea of who they would take off the waitlist if they needed to but I was still wondering how you knew.
I think all the med schools should do what Southwestern does for their waitlist, i.e. tell you what quartile you are in. At least that way you have a better idea of what is going on.
B
basten0
potato51 said:From what I understand, for this year even Southwestern isn't ranking its waitlist unlike previous years. Strange.
My bad. I remember last year they told people who were waitlisted what quartile they were in.
Just to clarify, my general opinion is this: even if schools say they don't rank, I can't believe that they don't have some initial idea of which people on the waitlist they would accept off first if they need to. Maybe that does not fit the technical definition of a ranking but its close enough for me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is A&M that hard to get accepted off the waitlist??
who else is on the waitlist? i've already been accepted to SA but really wanna go to A&M 😱
who else is on the waitlist? i've already been accepted to SA but really wanna go to A&M 😱
Since the class at A&M is small and since A&M is likely the most preferred amongst its acceptees, I'm guessing that waitlist movement is small unless another TMDSAS school besides UTSW has significant movement.mi2squared said:is A&M that hard to get accepted off the waitlist??
who else is on the waitlist? i've already been accepted to SA but really wanna go to A&M 😱
Am curious though, why A&M over SA for you? I ranked A&M higher because I felt the schools were basically the same except I preferred a smaller class size.
mid-May onward = most movementRD330 said:So...when is all this movement on the waitlist going to start?
RD330 said:So...when is all this movement on the waitlist going to start?
I talked to my pre-med advisor today and he said that he spoke with the dean of admissions at one of the schools, not sure which one, and was told that things are moving slower this year. So... Don't expect waitlist movement to start until min-May.
Has anyone talked to someone at UT-SA? I went to their website and they posted the list of 2006 matriculant class, and they have about 240 people listed on thier. Is this the list of everyone who matched there, or everyone who said they will definately attend SA?
I was really hoping some movement would occur at SA since ive heard they usually have alot of movement.
Here's the link to that page.
http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
I was really hoping some movement would occur at SA since ive heard they usually have alot of movement.
Here's the link to that page.
http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
I matched there, and right after the match they made us sign a form that was due back in two weeks "holding" our spot. So, everyone on that list has at least made some concerted effort to attend school.
I'm hoping to waitlist in at one of two other schools, so I've not completely committed to UTHSCSA, but my name's still on the list, if that makes sense.
I'm hoping to waitlist in at one of two other schools, so I've not completely committed to UTHSCSA, but my name's still on the list, if that makes sense.
Just a quick few questions. Has anyone heard anything from A&M? I know that 2 people were taken off the wait list but does anyone know when (the approx date)? If either of you two are reading this, please PM me, I have a couple of questions to ask you. I wonder if their wait list moves during the same time as other schools (in May). Oh, and congratulations to all those who matched, especially the re-applicants! (I know it's a little late) 👍
Ezlife786 said:Has anyone talked to someone at UT-SA? I went to their website and they posted the list of 2006 matriculant class, and they have about 240 people listed on thier. Is this the list of everyone who matched there, or everyone who said they will definately attend SA?
I was really hoping some movement would occur at SA since ive heard they usually have alot of movement.
Here's the link to that page.
http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
Makes me think I should have gone to UT Austin 😉 Tons of acceptances from there. Oh well...what can you do?
just out of curiousity, why would you choose SA over A&M??
I like the town of San Antonio better (culture, diversity, etc.) but A&M seems to have a stronger program and smaller classes
I like the town of San Antonio better (culture, diversity, etc.) but A&M seems to have a stronger program and smaller classes
Any news on TCOM?
dr.z said:Any news on TCOM?
I have not heard anything yet. I think TCOM is the most secretive about their waitlist than any of the other texas schools. I know that last years thread had their first movement off the tcom list on april 20th. Does that help us??? not really at all, but i'm being a little OCD about the whole thing.
What does Bump mean?RD330 said:Bump![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ILoveIceCream said:What does Bump mean?
I believe it stands for "Bring Up My Post."
I just called and talked to Tech.
They made 160 offers for 140 positions. So bad news there. They don't expect any movement for a while (post May 15)
ugh so tired of waiting...
They made 160 offers for 140 positions. So bad news there. They don't expect any movement for a while (post May 15)
ugh so tired of waiting...
azninvaznxx said:I just called and talked to Tech.
They made 160 offers for 140 positions. So bad news there. They don't expect any movement for a while (post May 15)
ugh so tired of waiting...
Does anyone know when is the deadline for people who have already been accepted at one school and holding waitlist spots at other schools are taken off those waitlists?
ILoveIceCream said:Does anyone know when is the deadline for people who have already been accepted at one school and holding waitlist spots at other schools are taken off those waitlists?
According to the TMDSAS website...
If you are a TX resident and have been accepted at a Texas school, the latest you can be notified about a waitlist acceptance is June 15th. After that date, you are taken off any waitlists. If you aren't a TX resident and have been accepted to a TX school this does no apply to you.
Here's the actual, technical jargon from the website:
"After June 15, the TMDSAS participating medical schools will make no offers of acceptance to individuals already holding a place in the entering class of any other medical school in Texas."
ILoveIceCream said:Does anyone know when is the deadline for people who have already been accepted at one school and holding waitlist spots at other schools are taken off those waitlists?
I called Tech as well. They won't even bother with the waitlist until the number falls below 140. I asked what's the latest we could hear something and they said that it was not unusual to notify someone up to the day before classes start.
🙄 😳
Similar threads
- Replies
- 53
- Views
- 17K

