Textbook vs. Kaplan Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it beter to to study based off the textbook (w.problems) or just use the kaplan. Will the kaplan get me a 30 on the mcat. if I study it every night for a couple hours???

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

um...... not sure exactly what to tell you about this.

It is definately not enough to just study your textbooks (I'm assuming you mean the texts for your undergrad courses)

Studying Kaplan alone WILL probably get you an okay score (provided that you also use some aamc test materials)

However,

IMHO you should look at as much material as you can if you want a 30. Personally I didn't like the Kaplan stuff all that much. I found it a bit TOO comprehensive. I liked the ExamKrackers materials. But I did use the Kaplan stuff also (mostly to supplement the stuff I felt like EK didn't cover enough)

One last thing: focus on practicing with test material from the aamc (ie. tests I-VI; especially IV-VI) and test materials that are made to look like aamc passages. This is the way the test is formatted, and this is the way you should be studying for it.

DO NOT FOCUS ON JUST MEMORIZING THE FACTS/FORMULAS!!!
(IMHO this was the biggest mistake by most people I know, myself included)

Cheers,

Silenthunder

It is better to base your study plan on materials written specifically for the MCAT, with the text for backup on things you don't understand or need extra practice with.

Even the best texts are way too comprehensive and detailed for the MCAT, and include many things that you just plain don't need to know. Save your time and energy for more productive tasks.

Studying anything every night for 2 hours will not guarantee a 30 on the MCAT unless you are very smart or very good at this sort of test. You need to do plenty of practice tests, review your wrong answers in detail, and strengthen your weakest topic areas. You also need to build your energy and confidence for a very long and draining test. Plan for 9-10 hours on the day of the test, including all the admin stuff.

Thanks meoxmix for the insite. I plan on studying every night for 3-4 hours. I've already started to highlight my kaplan books!!!!