1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Textbooks for 4th year med student

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by p90xgirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. p90xgirl

Medical Student
    Best paeds text books for a 4th year med student???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SurfingDoctor

SurfingDoctor "Hooray, I'm useful"
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nelson's Essentials of Pediatrics. If you are really going into pediatrics, then just buying the full copy of Nelson's would be worth it.

4. Doctorverardoll

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I purchased the big Nelson's and Zitelli's (Physical Diagnosis). I also have pocket pediatrics, but find it lacking. Anything good that is small to bring on the wards. I read Nelson's at home but it is HUGE.

#3 Doctorverardoll, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. twilightdoc

twilightdoc Attending
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not a big fan of Nelson Essentials- it isn't exactly a big textbook, and it isn't exactly a review book. There are a number of good paperback texts and review books out there that may be more readable, as well as the large hardback texts. The new edition of Pediatrics for Medical Students (Bernstein and Shelov) looks promising. Hopefully the hospital or offices where you will work will have some references on-site. You may also want to figure out if there are electronic texts that you can access through your med school library.

6. g12321

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I read Nelson when I was a medical student and found it rather inadequate, there is one they used in Indian Medical Schools O.P. Ghai Essentials of Pediatrics which covers more or less everything you need to know at undergraduate level.

7. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It really depends on what your goal is; if you want to go in to peds, then investing in a Nelson's and Zitelli's might be worth your while. If you just want to do well on the rotation then please don't spend your money on those moster text books! If all you want is something to help with the rotation, go for Case Files or Blueprints for peds.

8. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm going into Peds, I was thinking about spending the last 6 months year going through the complete Med Study review. I figure I'll then have the books/DVDs in reserve when it comes time to actually review for boards. Good idea or waste of time?