Textbooks for Orthognathic & TMD Surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gryffindor

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are having a rare tax free holiday for back to school stuff and I was thinking of buying some textbooks for myself and my associates. We've been diagnosing and doing more orthognathic cases in my ortho practice. This includes traditional cases and surgery-first cases. We also get referred patients for ortho needing TMJR or other TMJ surgeries. What text books do you OMFS residents and attendings recommend to learn more about the surgical process?

Members don't see this ad.

Posnick for orthognathic sx.

Reactions: 1 user
We are having a rare tax free holiday for back to school stuff and I was thinking of buying some textbooks for myself and my associates. We've been diagnosing and doing more orthognathic cases in my ortho practice. This includes traditional cases and surgery-first cases. We also get referred patients for ortho needing TMJR or other TMJ surgeries. What text books do you OMFS residents and attendings recommend to learn more about the surgical process?
Essentials of orthognathic surgery
Johan Reyneke

Atlas of tempormandibular joint surgery
Peter Quinn

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reyneke is good but outdated. For free you should be able to get KLS, Synthes, and Stryker to do lunch and learns for you highlighting their digital planning and custom plates. Not a fan of surgery first, don’t know of any good resources and would avoid it if you can

Reactions: 1 users
Reyneke is good but outdated. For free you should be able to get KLS, Synthes, and Stryker to do lunch and learns for you highlighting their digital planning and custom plates. Not a fan of surgery first, don’t know of any good resources and would avoid it if you can
There's a 3rd edition that just came out a few months ago for Reyneke. I do agree with the above though, including Posnick

Why do you feel this way about surgery first? (I bought a book by a Korean author I think but haven’t got past the first chapter yet.)

My cases where we have been doing this are the maxillary deficient patient with decent to good alignment who needs the maxilla advanced only.