Textbooks necessary for optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently given a list of textbooks to buy for the upcoming year in optometry school. I was wondering if it's necessary to buy them all? Are there certain texts that we are better off buying? please advise. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait until you're a week or two into your class. By then you should know whether or not you actually need the book. There are several books I bought 1st year that I rarely opened.

I was recently given a list of textbooks to buy for the upcoming year in optometry school. I was wondering if it's necessary to buy them all? Are there certain texts that we are better off buying? please advise. thanks.
As the PP said, wait until you get a week or two into classes. Often upperclassmen will sell their old books, or you can look at them in the library. For most of the basic science classes it's really not necessary to buy anything. Netter's Anatomy is nice to have for anatomy, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the PP said, wait until you get a week or two into classes. Often upperclassmen will sell their old books, or you can look at them in the library. For most of the basic science classes it's really not necessary to buy anything. Netter's Anatomy is nice to have for anatomy, though.

if your school has notetaking services, there really is no need (you can always borrow/photocopy pages from the library if you really need some pages from the text)

save yourself some money!

its all notes. dont waste money. cant understand something in lecture, find it on the web.