Thank God

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a prematch offer. I applied to 80 IM programs and got two interviews and both programs offered me a pre match. I still can't believe it. I was depressed, I had barely passed step I and II, and I guess personality really does matters. I interviewed with those who had 90s, and thought I would never make it with two interviews; little did I know that if they like your personality and if you show interest, they will consider you.
For those of you who supported me, and encouraged me to have high hopes, I thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I know you were worried about the match. Are you going to accept one, are stay with the match?

OK, fill me in on this pre match offer thing. I thought that no program could offer any pre match contract to any US medical student. I was also told that if they tried it could later be held to be invalid for failure to follow the match rules. So what is the true story on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What? You applied to eighty internal medicine programs and got only two interviews? I must be missing something here.

I think the original thread author is an IMG. From what I understand, IMGs can be offered pre-match spots and they can subsequently withdraw from the match. ALL students in the US who sign up for the NRMP match are completely ineligible for prematch spots.

Yes, IMG's can drop out of the Match with a pre-match offer. The original thread author was an IMG, and IMG's typically apply to more programs. It is a hit or miss thing. Some programs have different requirements, and if they don't post it on their website, it is really hard to know who wants what. So, just apply and see what happens. It is a scary feeling to really not know if you wasted your time sending your app to a program that may not even look at it.....

so where are the 2 places you're considering?

congrats. so where are the places you're considering?