Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm doing my medical internship right now and it just reaffirms my decision to go into PM&R. 😀
When I did my PM&R rotations, it really felt like patients knew their doctor was there to help them. Something awful had landed them in a hospital, but their physiatrist was going to form a partnership with them and make things the best they possibly could be.
Now on the general medicine side of things, I've had to tell patients that their hospital stay will be longer than expected because of the need for IV antibiotics, more testing, etc. --Talk about shooting the messenger! After a long day of having people chew me out for treating them, I'm counting down the days until I get back to the feel good realm of rehab.
I realize that to a point I'm idealizing things, but I know for sure that I'll be happier when this year is over. (7 days down; only 357 left to go! 😱)
When I did my PM&R rotations, it really felt like patients knew their doctor was there to help them. Something awful had landed them in a hospital, but their physiatrist was going to form a partnership with them and make things the best they possibly could be.
Now on the general medicine side of things, I've had to tell patients that their hospital stay will be longer than expected because of the need for IV antibiotics, more testing, etc. --Talk about shooting the messenger! After a long day of having people chew me out for treating them, I'm counting down the days until I get back to the feel good realm of rehab.
I realize that to a point I'm idealizing things, but I know for sure that I'll be happier when this year is over. (7 days down; only 357 left to go! 😱)