Thank you cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they helpful? Necessary? Can it hurt you to not send one?

When I first read this post, I assumed you were referring to thank you cards for interviewers. It's the polite thing to do, but not necessary or expected. It's probably not very helpful either since the interviewers/adcoms at a lot of schools make their decisions within 1-2 days of the interview. Even if they receive your thank you cards before they decide on your application, I doubt it would have much of an impact.
 
At many schools the admissions committee meets to decide your fate (or assign you the score that will decide your fate later) shortly after your interview--like within a week.

So in the vast majority of cases a thank you card to your interviewer is not going to be given much weight at all. It's more of just a professional courtesy.

You never know though--maybe they'll toss it in your file and if the committee re-reviews your file they'll see it sitting there and it might ever so slightly tip the balance in your favor with regards to someone's vote. If your "scale" is already unbalanced (either for or against you) it won't make a difference. And chances are it won't be tossed in your file, but the trash (after your interviewer thinks to himself for .5 seconds "Oh that's nice.").

Again, the single act alone won't do much, but if you get in the habit now of always being courteous and professional someone will eventually notice.
 
This is what LizzyM posted in another thread:

"Thank yous" make no difference. The interviewers added their two cents to your file long before your pen hit the paper. Sometimes they make it to the file but often they do not (sent to interviewers mailboxes rather than admissions office mailbox) so the adcom can't judge whether or not a thank you note was sent and, frankly, there are other attributes that concern the adcom -- a thank you note isn't going to help or hurt.
 
There are some schools that strongly encourage you to write thank you notes (MCW comes to mind). But, those few schools tend to make it very clear that thank you notes are expected (required) during the interview presentations.

Personally, I write Thank You notes simply because of etiquette and courtesy. If you don't have the habit down yet, you should really learn it. They don't really matter in the interviewing process, but they are a very good gesture and a good habit. Doing the proper thing (written letter on appropriate stationary) sets you apart from the crowd in most arenas, professional and personal. It only takes 5 minutes and a stamp.
 
Send the notes. I didn't when I applied, and it's kind of haunted me. I know for a fact that thank you cards (if you're a guy, you're supposed to buy the non-folded thank yous... I just found this out from the dean of admissions because he complained no one ever uses them) and e-mails go into your file at my school. While it won't usually affect the outcome, one interviewer mentioned while reviewing an applicant the other day that he/she was "the only one of the 6 I've interviewed not to send a follow-up or thank you." It can, in very rare cases, make the committee question whether you actually want to go to the school (particularly if the question has already been raised). Even though it's unlikely to affect your file, keep in mind you will likely interact with your interviewer in the future, and it's not very much fun to wonder whether they think you were rude for not sending a thank you note.
 
fly me in, pay for my hotel, then we can get a card written up

just how i feel about it
 
So..... I was writing a thank you note, and while doing so I realized that I was NOT thankful for our conversation, it was not relaxed or conversational, and it was not a pleasant experience. I felt like a fraud writing it so.. I didn't send it. If I have an interview that is actually enjoyable and pleasant, I will write a thank you note. But I don't think you should write one if the interview wasn't pleasant. If you can write one that's <50% bull****, go for it, but if it's 100% bull****, I think they'll see right through it, and probably laugh that you thanked them for torturing you.
 
There are some schools that strongly encourage you to write thank you notes (MCW comes to mind). But, those few schools tend to make it very clear that thank you notes are expected (required) during the interview presentations.

Hmmmm, could be why I get buried on their waitlist last year 👎. I was not thankful to talk to their interviewers. They were by far the worst interviewers I have ever had, and didn't have very good people skills. Good school though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't send a single thank you card. Do it if you're so inclined, but don't expect anything in return.

Agreed. It's a professional formality, which isn't necessarily required. I myself have been sending short e-mails, thanking them for their time and any insight which I felt they've provided me as to their school or the medical profession.