Thank You Email after interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nature_girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had an interview yesterday with a program where my interviewers were the program director and an adjunct faculty member. I was wonderinf if it would be appropriate and beneficial to send an email thanking them for taking the time to get to know me... Kind of the same way you would for a job interview.

This is my first grad school interview so any feedback is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is appropriate to sent a thank you email to your interviewers the following day. While not everyone does it for grad school interviews, it is still courteous to do so. I have done so after both of my interviews and was accepted to both schools. I am not claiming that is the reason I was accepted, but it definitely cannot hurt if you keep it brief and simple!

Reactions: 1 user
I just had an interview yesterday with a program where my interviewers were the program director and an adjunct faculty member. I was wonderinf if it would be appropriate and beneficial to send an email thanking them for taking the time to get to know me... Kind of the same way you would for a job interview.

Yes, absolutely.
That type of courtesy can go a long way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree 1o0% with the other posters. tcpt is a faculty member at a very respected program so I would definitely listen to what he has to say. It's definitely not going to hurt. I read about a program that actually keeps copies of thank you notes in the admissions file. I'm sure a note alone isn't going to get you in, but if it comes down to two more or less equal applicants I bet it could help as a tie breaker.

This is only anecdotal and concerns a job interview, not a grad school interview, but I think it's still appropriate. I interviewed for a job a couple of months back working in health education that I was probably underqualified for. The interview seemed to go great, but I had the feeling that I just didn't have enough experience in that particular field. Not long after the interview I emailed them to thank them and to ask for feedback. It was my first "civilian" job interview since leaving the Army and I imagine my interview skills were a little rusty. I didn't imagine I would hear anything back, but about a week after the interview I received an email that basically said they were initially going to give the job to someone with more health education experience, but they were impressed with the follow-up email. It showed my dedication and passion for the population the job would be working with. They offered me a follow-up interview where they pretty much offered me the job on the spot. I firmly believe that email got me the job. Like I said before, sending a thank you can't hurt and will probably help.

I've had two interviews so far and send a thank you not immediately after each one (in email form). The first one I received a response that essentially told me after this round of interviewing I have a high chance of being admitted (wasn't expecting that sort of feedback!), the second one was less informative but I still believe it left a good impression.

Hello, I just had an interview today where I sat with 2 faculty members. I would like to send a thank you note but only have the email to the department. I was doing some research and I found the two faculty member's emails on the website. Should I send them individual e-mails or just to the department? Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you.

I always do it no matter it was for a job interview or grad school application/interview. I don't know if it is started from this year in the program I got accepted that I received a phone call from my interviewer the second day telling me I was accepted, even though I also received an email from the coordinator later of the week attached with acceptance documents, but it did save me from the nerve wrecking waiting. I would say it definitely is a plus if you already stand out in the interview.
Best of luck

I'm thinking of sending a thank you email to my interview but my interview didn't went well. So I'm little bit hesitant. For those, who sent a thank you email, what kind of response did you guys get?