Aug 20, 2010
New York City
Status
Medical Student
Is it normal to send your interviewers a thank you email after the interview? I spoke to some interviewees and thats what they told me. What's your opinion on this?

Lukat

lightning bonesetter
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
the South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Last edited:

MCAT guy

May 24, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Is it normal to send your interviewers a thank you email after the interview? I spoke to some interviewees and thats what they told me. What's your opinion on this?
Yes. Do it. Make it a habit. It counts for Residency interviews big time.

The best advice I've heard is to buy and bring your thank you notes to the interview. Then after the day is over, write them to your interviewers. Then you can drop it by the admissions office as you are leaving or you can mail it the next morning.

I would write because it is old fashioned and 90% of people won't do it, hence it will be memorable. Also, make sure you mention something personal in the note, don't do some cookie cutter note for every person.

swimchick

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a big fan of the thank you note. The interviewer took the time to talk with you and, I would imagine, will be your advocate when it comes time for your file to be reviewed. I always send a handwritten note, but it seems e-mail is becoming more popular (especially for schools with a short decision turnaround). Despite that, I encourage a handwritten note over an e-mail.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think it matters at all. They will likely not remember you, anyway.

drctother

5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2009
Unknown
Status
Medical Student
I just wrote two thank you emails to my interviewers. Although im positive they already made their decision about me, I just wanted to thank them for taking the time to interview me. Not many pre-meds realize this, but most interviewers arent paid and volunteer their time to listen to neurotic and usually fake pre-meds. Imagine sitting there and listening to people spit off cookie cut answers all day.

Im also pretty sure they wont even remember me

Kevin Baker

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely definitely definitely send a thank you something. It can be an email or plain letter, and while not sending it shouldn't impact an acceptance, it's the professional thing to do.

Cheshyre

Hooray Bikes!
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Le Mitten.
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it matters at all. They will likely not remember you, anyway.
Eh. Depends. My interviewer quoted passages from my personal statement, verbatim.

In any case, it can't hurt. I sent actual snail-mail thank yous.

Kevin Baker

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A thank you note is polite and professional. Whether it's email or snail mail is up to debate. I like email better as they can respond back. It made my day when two interviewers wrote back and actually remembered me and gave words of wisdom. But snail mail is more formal and universally accepted.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I wrote thank you emails once, after I was accepted to a program, thanking the faculty for advocating on my behalf. However, the other two schools I didn't do this at I was also accepted. Its not the end all, be all. A handshake and verbal thank you should be enough. You're not going to be denied admission because of a thank you card.

Oct 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I think a hand written thank you note or a thank you email shows class. Besides, if everyone sends a thank you note and you don't, it could make you look bad. If no one sends a thank you note and you do, it could make you look good.

OP
angryazn88
Aug 20, 2010
New York City
Status
Medical Student
Thanks everyone. I started to send out the thank you emails and I actually got a response back from an MS3 student that interviewed me. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks everyone. I started to send out the thank you emails and I actually got a response back from an MS3 student that interviewed me. Thanks for the advice!!!!
If you have an address it can't hurt to mail a real card as well... It frequently helps with the "remembering you" part...

OP
angryazn88
Aug 20, 2010
New York City
Status
Medical Student
If you have an address it can't hurt to mail a real card as well... It frequently helps with the "remembering you" part...
Its weird but I heard back from all the schools I interviewed at in less than 1 week so far. I'm still waiting on ATSU-SOMA but all these schools seemed to remember me because they replied with a friendly email.

If I decide to send a real card in the future, should it be addressed to my interviewers or the adcoms in general?