Thank you everyone on here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nubbey24

WOW!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you for everyone on here voicing their experiences and opinions regarding military medicine so that thos of us who have not had experience and exposure to it are more well informed. I have recently turned down an acceptance to USUHS in favor of taking out the loans and paying 40,000 a year to go the civilian route. I don't know that this decision would have been this easy had it not been for the people on here who have provided the pro's and con's of joining military medicine. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I did not want to be owned, and have decisions made for me. I also did not want to have to be moved around at someone elses whim, and possibly be deployed. I think someone on this sight put it perfectly when the said that "money can always be paid back, but time can't be replaced" The more I thought about this, the more I realized it was true. Time away from your family, and being moved against your will is not worth it for me.

I commend those of you who are able to do this, but for me and my future family, I know this would just not fly. Good luck, to all, and I hope that someone else gets into USUHS who really wants to serve the military. Thanks,

Nubbey

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck in the future wherever you end up. Glad you were able to make a well informed decision.

I just wanted to say thank you I think someone on this sight put it perfectly when the said that "money can always be paid back, but time can't be replaced" The more I thought about this, the more I realized it was true. Time away from your family, and being moved against your will is not worth it for me.
Nubbey

believe me, time away from family and $$$ were only a part of the problem.
Hope the day comes when I can honestly recommend that people join and plan on a career in USAF medicine. That time is not today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to you.

Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I did not want to be owned, and have decisions made for me.

I've found someone always owns you whether it is the bank or the military...

The bank's never called me at 4 in the morning to come in immediately for a UDS.

I've found someone always owns you whether it is the bank or the military...

The bank I can do something about, i.e. pay down my debt. The military I can't, i.e. they tell me to do something, whether I think it is right or not, I do it or go to jail. For me the former is by far the lesser of the two evils. Again, this is just my opinion.

The bank I can do something about, i.e. pay down my debt. The military I can't, i.e. they tell me to do something, whether I think it is right or not, I do it or go to jail. For me the former is by far the lesser of the two evils. Again, this is just my opinion.

You've made the right decision. Although there are idiots out there just like in the military, you are likely to encounter less of them, and in positions of less power. Also you have all your civil rights, and of course, the most important right, that of choice. You can do your choice of residency, and choose where and who you want to work with.

Good luck!!