Thank you letters after APPE rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcasey

Psychiatric Pharmacy Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the norm is for writing thank you letters to preceptors during 4th year. I'd like to thank my preceptors and keep good will with them, but I'm not sure if the letters come off as annoying or if they see them in a positive light. One pharmacist I recently talked to said she just automatically throws away any thank you letters she receives

Members don't see this ad.

Don't send them just bring some food on your last day. Either desserts or veggie player depending on what they like.

Reactions: 1 user
Please do not send any thank you cards or things of that nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do that either. You just end up looking like a 'try-hard'.
I still bring food occasionally on weekends and such and love when techs bring stuff in. A lot of middle age women techs are always going on about recipes on Pinterest and I just say shut up about it and bring it into work for me to try.

I precept 6-8 APPE students per year. I occasionally receive thank you cards but they mean a lot to me. I would much rather get a thank you card or note than some food.

One pharmacist I recently talked to said she just automatically throws away any thank you letters she receives

Seriously...who does this?

Just do SOMETHING- food, candy, thank you note, coffee mug. Anything will be fine and should be received warmly, but only do it if you are being sincere. It is not hard to tell the sincere students from the ones who are doing it with the expectation of a later favor in return.

Personally, I do not accept food items; no telling what was done to them beforehand.

I'd much rather get food than some useless card.

If it's appropriate I usually bring food and personally thank staff (pharmacists, techs, etc.) with a handshake when I'm done. Some places are stiff and bringing food would be awkward, at other places not so much. Just read your environment and display gratitude appropriately.

It depends on the preceptor. If you've been with them for the last 4-6 weeks then you should be able to get a general sense of what they like. I usually brought some sort of food for everyone and for certain preceptors who I knew would like it I bought thank you cards as well

Why should I, a student, paying you my tuition, working for free doing things you don't want to do, bring you food or a thank you card?

For what reason?

It just looks weak.

If the site offers you a job then maybe

Otherwise they can eff off

They use you for free labor

I've gotten cards in the past. Always a nice gesture.

Why should I, a student, paying you my tuition, working for free doing things you don't want to do, bring you food or a thank you card?

For what reason?

It just looks weak.

Because your future employer is going to call me and ask "I see John Doe had a rotation at your pharmacy, how was he as a student". Not saying you should suck up to me but you should make an effort on your rotations.

Because your future employer is going to call me and ask "I see John Doe had a rotation at your pharmacy, how was he as a student". Not saying you should suck up to me but you should make an effort on your rotations.

My future employer is going to see that I have been working for the company for 4 years now. Now take my 2.0 gpa plaque and hang it on the wall.

My future employer is going to see that I have been working for the company for 4 years now. Now take my 2.0 gpa plaque and hang it on the wall.

My best friend in pharmacy school worked for his company from the latter part of his senior year of high school as a tech to his P4 year in pharmacy school so 7 years (maybe 6). He didn't get offered a job. You better hope the company thinks you're a workhorse.

I didn't send any thank you letters, but I'm a jerk. It couldn't hurt if it was sincere. We put one on the wall because the student was a nice person with a great personality, and we actually felt something when we read it. It's obvious when you are doing something out of obligation rather than genuine intent.

My best friend in pharmacy school worked for his company from the latter part of his senior year of high school as a tech to his P4 year in pharmacy school so 7 years (maybe 6). He didn't get offered a job. You better hope the company thinks you're a workhorse.

Their not just monitoring how long you've been with the company. They are also monitoring much you are progressing from year to year. Word of mouth also goes a long way.

Your friend probably just sucks.

Students who are usually this confident about landing work with their employer after graduation are the ones who should be the most worried.

I'd urge you to be cautious...

Your friend probably just sucks.

...but I'd probably be wasting my time. So instead: best of luck- hope it works out for you.