Neuroguy876

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

Is there any standard advice regarding thank you letters after interviews? Different sources say different things: some say to send a typed thank you letter, others say a hand-written one is best; some say write to the director only, others say write to all of your interviewers.

Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated, and best of luck to those who interview this season!

docsalsa37

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You are right about one thing: different sources say different things. One of my friends in the 2008 class who matched at Johns Hopkins sent thank you cards to each of her interviewers immediatey after the interview. After interviewing at all the schools, she sent an email to just the program directors of the schools she was ranking highly to reiterate her interest. However, that being said, she told me to do what was most comfortable for me. I decided to do it her way, because I like greeting cards myself. Some schools that i have interviewed with so far have sent me either thank you emails or thank you typed letters, so I am sure if I wrote to them in that vein as well, it would be fine. Basically, email, typed leter or thank you card has to be better than nothing, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Gd luck.

memento

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

Is there any standard advice regarding thank you letters after interviews? Different sources say different things: some say to send a typed thank you letter, others say a hand-written one is best; some say write to the director only, others say write to all of your interviewers.

Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated, and best of luck to those who interview this season!
My friends from last year's group who matched sent typed letters to everyone they interviewed with in a program they really liked and sent only to the PD with other programs.