Thank you note and business cards?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by pharm_chick27, Aug 17, 2015.

1. pharm_chick27

Pharmacist
    I graduated this year. I have a position at an independent pharmacy in my hometown but have been applying and interviewing at the smaller hospitals in the area because I also enjoyed those rotations. I always send a thank you note after the interview and my pharma school professors suggested sending a business card in the note. Would this really make any difference? I have my senior year business cards but they say "pharmd candidate"...I guess it would be really cheesy to cross off candidate and send it along with it? Maybe just skip the card part. Or do you think it would be ok to send the pharmd candidate one since I just graduated?...even though would have the pharmd now? maybe I am just overthinking it.

2. Son_Goku

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Both are cheesy.

Don't do it.

Corpseman and Pharma.Prince like this.
  3. Pharma.Prince

Pharmacy Student
    Way so cheesy, they throw them in the garbage without even checking who sent them.

4. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    All PharmD Candidate business cards go in the trash.

5. Dred Pirate

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I read the notes, and then chuck them, don't send the business cards. A thank note is ok - but if you say something stupid (believe me I have seen it) they are more likely to hurt your chances

6. 297point1

297point1 Slowly drowning
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I have never understood what was wrong with calling yourself a "Pharmacy Student" or "Student Pharmacist".
    This whole 'PharmD Candidate' moniker is silly- I tell my students this all the time. And like most of the advice I give, it is ignored.

Getting accepted to pharmacy school and enrolling in your first semester of classes does not make you a PharmD Candidate any more than me spending a week at fantasy basketball camp makes me an NBA Candidate.

7. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    For some reason I am not a fan of "Student Pharmacist", sounds so pretentious. I like "Pharmacy Student" personally. I also think PharmD Candidate is about the silliest title imaginable.

8. eagles22

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm gonna call shenanigans on that analogy. Once you start pharmacy school, you are a candidate for the degree. Much like a presidential candidate is a candidate the moment he or she enters the race. It doesn't mean you'll get it, but it does mean it's a possibility. Entering a fantasy basketball camp that has no official pipeline to the NBA would not make you an NBA candidate because there was no expectation that at the end of the process you could be a NBA player.

9. Corpseman

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It would make you an NBA candidate candidate....where does it end?!

10. lp12

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Semi-related question: When's the right time to actually give a thank you card for a preceptor? Seems really awkward to hand it to them on your last day but I also have 0 contact information beyond the main clinic/hospital address to mail it later (ie after evaluation is done).

11. trailerpark

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I never sent any to my preceptors. Good RIDDENS I say. O wait, pharmacy is a small world blah blah blah