Aug 15, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
I graduated this year. I have a position at an independent pharmacy in my hometown but have been applying and interviewing at the smaller hospitals in the area because I also enjoyed those rotations. I always send a thank you note after the interview and my pharma school professors suggested sending a business card in the note. Would this really make any difference? I have my senior year business cards but they say "pharmd candidate"...I guess it would be really cheesy to cross off candidate and send it along with it? Maybe just skip the card part. Or do you think it would be ok to send the pharmd candidate one since I just graduated?...even though would have the pharmd now? maybe I am just overthinking it.

About the Ads

Dred Pirate

5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
I read the notes, and then chuck them, don't send the business cards. A thank note is ok - but if you say something stupid (believe me I have seen it) they are more likely to hurt your chances

297point1

Flatten the curve
10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
The Home Office
Status
Academic Administration
I have never understood what was wrong with calling yourself a "Pharmacy Student" or "Student Pharmacist".
This whole 'PharmD Candidate' moniker is silly- I tell my students this all the time. And like most of the advice I give, it is ignored.

Getting accepted to pharmacy school and enrolling in your first semester of classes does not make you a PharmD Candidate any more than me spending a week at fantasy basketball camp makes me an NBA Candidate.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I have never understood what was wrong with calling yourself a "Pharmacy Student" or "Student Pharmacist".
This whole 'PharmD Candidate' moniker is silly- I tell my students this all the time. And like most of the advice I give, it is ignored.

Getting accepted to pharmacy school and enrolling in your first semester of classes does not make you a PharmD Candidate any more than me spending a week at fantasy basketball camp makes me an NBA Candidate.
For some reason I am not a fan of "Student Pharmacist", sounds so pretentious. I like "Pharmacy Student" personally. I also think PharmD Candidate is about the silliest title imaginable.

eagles22

5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I'm gonna call shenanigans on that analogy. Once you start pharmacy school, you are a candidate for the degree. Much like a presidential candidate is a candidate the moment he or she enters the race. It doesn't mean you'll get it, but it does mean it's a possibility. Entering a fantasy basketball camp that has no official pipeline to the NBA would not make you an NBA candidate because there was no expectation that at the end of the process you could be a NBA player.

Corpseman

7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I'm gonna call shenanigans on that analogy. Once you start pharmacy school, you are a candidate for the degree. Much like a presidential candidate is a candidate the moment he or she enters the race. It doesn't mean you'll get it, but it does mean it's a possibility. Entering a fantasy basketball camp that has no official pipeline to the NBA would not make you an NBA candidate because there was no expectation that at the end of the process you could be a NBA player.
It would make you an NBA candidate candidate....where does it end?!

lp12

5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Semi-related question: When's the right time to actually give a thank you card for a preceptor? Seems really awkward to hand it to them on your last day but I also have 0 contact information beyond the main clinic/hospital address to mail it later (ie after evaluation is done).

trailerpark

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I never sent any to my preceptors. Good RIDDENS I say. O wait, pharmacy is a small world blah blah blah

About the Ads