Thank you notes post-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -- I've been pretty side-tracked with timing and the sort and did not get a chance to send thank you notes to any schools I've interviewed accept to the admissions directors (i.e. not to the interviewers). I was just curious if (outside of etiquette) if that would play a significant role in my admissions?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't sent one thank you note yet. I have no reason to thank the school unless they pay for my flight/drive/lunch etc. And even schools like USC, who give a free lunch, charge $80 for a secondary, so really I think a call girl is more in order.

Let's stop being sodomized in this process and take control. They should be thanking us for putting up with this whole stressful process. It should be etiquette for interviewers to thank the interviewees for being interested in their school.

Unless, of course, you really connected with an interviewer - then stay in touch 'cause you like the person. Or if somebody let you stay in their room for a night so you could save on a hotel - thank them. Forget the freakin' interviewer. Most medical students interview applicants to put it on their resume or because they like having some power over a poor kid's life (most likely the first reason).

Love,
Jaded

I doubt it, but you never know, one little thing could tip the scale if two candidates were equally strong. I wouldn't be comfortable not thanking my interviewers.