Thank you notes to interviewers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just knew you were going to comment on that LOL.

With all of the stress I've been under lately, I've been debating whether I should start telling people what I really think.

Members don't see this ad.

The only time I would think about sending a thank you card is if it was after the decision was made.

I don't know about other school, but at OKSU the interviewers sit and read your file beforehand... then they interview you... then they sit for a few minutes after and they decide your score. After that, your file leaves their hands and they have nothing else to do with it. So you would be safe to send a card at any time without the possibility affecting your score in any way.

I still haven't decided yes/no either... one person said it would be buttkissy, and another said she thought it was a nice gesture (both committee members, past or current).

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think it's funny (read: sad) that something that was once considered a common courtesy and something I was raised to always do is now considered brown-nosing.

I don't know about other school, but at OKSU the interviewers sit and read your file beforehand... then they interview you... then they sit for a few minutes after and they decide your score. After that, your file leaves their hands and they have nothing else to do with it. So you would be safe to send a card at any time without the possibility affecting your score in any way.

I still haven't decided yes/no either... one person said it would be buttkissy, and another said she thought it was a nice gesture (both committee members, past or current).

I'm not sure how all schools decide. I guess it depends how they interview. If they interview in small groups they can make the decision fast (Penn does this, i guess the same as OKSU like you said) but some schools do all their interviews at once so I don't know how fast they make a final decision on the hundreds of people they interview. But even though they make their decisions right away at Penn, sometimes people can get put on the "hold" list which means you could possibly send a card when they still plan on discussing you again later.

Personally, I think it's funny (read: sad) that something that was once considered a common courtesy and something I was raised to always do is now considered brown-nosing.

Thank you - this is exactly how I feel. I wasn't even going to read any the posts in this thread because I automatically assumed that there would be little debate about the topic and that everyone would think that sending a letter would be just a common courtesy. I never imagined that someone might consider sending a thank-you note to be brown-nosing.

Thank you - this is exactly how I feel. I wasn't even going to read any the posts in this thread because I automatically assumed that there would be little debate about the topic and that everyone would think that sending a letter would be just a common courtesy. I never imagined that someone might consider sending a thank-you note to be brown-nosing.

:thumbup:

I dont think it matters what anyone on the forum thinks, it matters what the adcoms think. There is no way of knowing if your adcom will think it was a nice gesture or brown nosing. Especially with the range of ages and types of personalities.