Thank You Notes!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrAnonymous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should have typed or handwritten thank you notes to the interviewer? Should I send the same note to all my interviewers or have it personalized to each interviewer? Should I ask the interviewer before or after the interview for their campus address and name or is there another way I should go, like through a faculty campus address book? Any information regarding thank you notes would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that handwritten notes are more personal. I would get the address from the department's secretary first. You should know the name of your interviewer by the time you get the interview.

Good Luck,
Adrian

Thank your interviewers with a typed note - handwritten is too informal.

You should feel comfortable asking the interviewer for their card after the interview, or obtain their info from the secretary, web site, directory, etc.

I would suggest using a template to start with, and then customize the letter accordingly. You want to make an impression and a generic form letter will not do much for you. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by 1918 (edited 06-21-2000).]

I don't send letters except to the office of admissions, thanking them for arranging the interview and making me feel welcomed. I also use this letter to ask the dept of admissions to help deliver the enclosed cards to my interviewers.

For the interviewers, I usually send a card, handwritten and personalized to each interviewer with some interesting topic or quote that came up during our interview to help jar their memory (most of the time, I can't even remember their names a week later, so I imagine that if I just wrote a generic letter with my name that they won't remember me either). During one interview, we kept talking about our puppies, so of course, the thank you card had a picture of my puppy glued to the front of it.