thank-you notes

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by pat, Nov 28, 2005.

1. pat

pat Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

An annoying topic, I know. But I just spent hours writing thank-you notes to all my interviewers for the last month, and I'm wondering if everyone else is doing that too, or just emailing, or nothing? I don't know if I can write anymore because they sound so tiresome and insincere now.

2. lvspro

lvspro ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do it right after you walk out of the interview... 15 min max.

3. adleyinga

adleyinga Einstein
    5+ Year Member

You get tired writing them and the PDs get tired reading them- so it is mutual

4. VolatileAgent

VolatileAgent Livin' the dream
    10+ Year Member

e-mail is fine. if they are interested, you'll get a positive response in reply. just personalize each e-mail you send to each program (i.e. don't 'boilerplate' them all) so that they know you are truly interested.

5. sgp5

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a suggestion...

Write ALL your interviewers a personalized thank you (especially if you are very interested in the program) the day after the interview. You can have a generalized thank you on you computer, but as others have said, make sure that each note/letter contains info about the meeting. It is tedious but an extra 10% of effort makes you look better than 90% of your fellow applicants.

Personally, I think e-mail is lazy, and the norm that a lot of people follow. They read it one minute and put it in their delete folder the next. A personalized letter is tangible...much more memorable.

6. seattledoc

seattledoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I sent postcards with cool pictures of Seattle on them & I think that is what landed the position I'm in now...not really, I don't think it really matters. Most of the time they look at stuff that actually matters. Save your stamp.

7. driverabu

driverabu www.riograndband.com
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I can see how e-mail can be viewed as lazy, but hey, we are in the year 2005, not 1905 and almost the entire world uses e-mail. However, I am most definitely hand writing a few to the programs I am most interested in.