Jul 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So in my gap year I've been working as a cook at a somewhat pricy restaurant.
I've recently been promoted to Sous Chef of a new restaurant, starting in the Fall.

Would it be appropriate to thank my letter writers by inviting them and their families out to have a meal at my restaurant and comp/discount it?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
nah, just write a nice note. anything more is too much (it might seem to look like favor buying)

OP
N
Jul 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
nah, just write a nice note. anything more is too much (it might seem to look like favor buying)
It's after the fact though.
Ideally I'll have my first acceptance by the time I start as Sous.

And this is the 2nd application cycle that all of my letter writers have submitted on my behalf.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It depends how close you are. I agree with @Spector1 that this might be a bit much to do for everyone, but I'm planning on sending a gift to a mentor of mine for writing the letter and everything else he's done for me

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree that it depends on your relationship. If the only thing you're thanking them for is their letters, this seems like a bit much.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Invite them after you get your first acceptance. Tell them you want to celebrate your success and thank them for their part in it. It isn't necessary (IMHO a heartfelt thank you note is the best way to show gratitude) but it will be appreciated and remembered. Also, comp the meals, not a discount, as offering them a discount on a restaurant meal as a thank you seems like not much of a "gift". If that's all you can afford, better to just spend the money on stationery and write a nice note.

OP
N
Jul 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Invite them after you get your first acceptance. Tell them you want to celebrate your success and thank them for their part in it. It isn't necessary (IMHO a heartfelt thank you note is the best way to show gratitude) but it will be appreciated and remembered. Also, comp the meals, not a discount, as offering them a discount on a restaurant meal as a thank you seems like not much of a "gift". If that's all you can afford, better to just spend the money on stationery and write a nice note.
I'm sure I could get their meals comped as Sous Chef of the restaurant.
Or at worst, just pay for it with my employee discount haha.