Thanking your LOR Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking for some ideas on how to thank my LOR writers. I have really great letters and I know they spent a ton of time on them and worked really hard to make them for me. They are all the best people, and were always incredibly nice with me, and I know they put a lot of effort into those letters.

I kind of wanted to do more then just come in and thank them (I did already) just to let them know how much it means. Besides just a card, anyone have any other suggestions? (1 male, 2 females).

Also, flowers I am finding to be way too expensive (like $38+ a pop)...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got my letter writers gifts based on what I knew about them or what they said in conversations. I really liked my writers too and spent a lot of time thinking of ideas and shopping online even though I'm not sure how the letters themselves turned out.

My anatomy professor loves the University of Michigan cuz he went there for undergrad so I got him a gift from their online bookstore. For my plant bio professor, he's always wanted to eat a certain kind of mushroom that's only harvested in France in the Spring so I got him 1 oz. of those since they're so expensive.

I was shooting to spend $20 per person but the gifts turned out to be closer to $30 after shipping.

I decided to thank my letter writers with something cool (IMO) with like a fruit basket or something once I got accepted...that way I could tell them where I got in. Well, that was 2 years ago now, and I'm about to apply for my third time... Moral of the story; don't put it off, for any reason >).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got all of mine good chocolates, usually Godiva or Lindt.

um how do u know if they wrote you good letters or not?
I was going to get mine.... nothing....

um how do u know if they wrote you good letters or not?
I was going to get mine.... nothing....

Well first off, one of them started reading theirs off to me, until I told him I trusted him and he didn't have to. Another one wouldn't stop talking about how great of a doctor I was going to be, so I am assuming so. The other, I just know.

Well first off, one of them started reading theirs off to me, until I told him I trusted him and he didn't have to. Another one wouldn't stop talking about how great of a doctor I was going to be, so I am assuming so. The other, I just know.

Can you walk me through how the happened, start at the first day you saw your professor. Thanks.

Am also having a hard time with this, and need to thank some other influential profs as well. Found cross pens on sale, and am thinking I'll get them engraved with profs name. Too generic?

I think LOR writers don't expect a gift. If you give one, you are a better person than me lol. I just said thanks. Hopefully they understand that as a senior in college with a net income of -$10,000 a year I can't go buy them all $25 gifts. That'd be like $200! Talk about beer money for like a month. Boo to that idea. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

In my opinion, the best way to show your appreciation to your LOR writers is to keep them posted regarding your acceptances in Medical School.

I think LOR writers don't expect a gift. If you give one, you are a better person than me lol. I just said thanks. Hopefully they understand that as a senior in college with a net income of -$10,000 a year I can't go buy them all $25 gifts. That'd be like $200! Talk about beer money for like a month. Boo to that idea. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I agree. Writing LORs is a big part of their job, so I don't think any of them expect any gifts.

To tell you the truth, I would feel very weird giving my recommenders gifts. I just wrote each one a nice thank you note, and the majority even commented how nice it was because most students don't even do that.