Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngmo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does your parents paying for tuition have to do with anything? or anything else you listed in this comment besides the initial question? I'm sorry if this comes across as mean, I would never try and shoo someone away. I'm new here and this forum is amazing I wish I had found out about it when I was younger . But it just sounds to me like you're bragging.

Last edited:
Your parents being surgeons in no way affects your chances of getting into medical school. The circumstances their income and position have afforded you will have substantially improved your chances, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if they work at a med school, then probably

Unless you have the ability to pay 7 figure sums...
I believe that this did happen this year at least once (that I can see).
The number of of times it fails, however, is greater (since I know it didn't work here and at the other CA schools!).

No - if anything, it would decrease your chances if I were interviewing you. I look at applicants with physician parents with a bit more skepticism than I do other applicants.
How does that decrease the applicant's chance? I guess compared to other folks, the applicant must have something extraordinary on their application as well as stellar GPA and MCAT score.

Does this increase my chances of getting into med school? I know it helps with opportunities and stuff. I start college next fall and I've already shadowed a surgeon for over 150+ hours plus I have done research and have one publication. In addition, my parents would also pay full tuition for med school. Just was wondering if this increases my chances at all. Thanks.
I dont think so. I would think similar to Nick above that it may somewhat be a disadvantage to you. Your background is great. You don't have to worry about finances like other applicants do. You would need stellar GPA and MCAT score and a strong personal statement why you want to become a physician though.

Your parents being surgeons has nothing to do with you.

You'll likely to be able to afford any MCAT test prep services, abroad volunteering so you can do things you aren't trained to do or at least see some nice sights as you voluntourism around, be able to afford to apply to 80 schools, and not have to worry about working to pay the bills as you do all the secondaries and any interviews you get. The last 2 things along with the MCAT classes are probably the biggest increase to your chances of getting in, other than that unless your parents have very strong pull with some Adcoms, or a lot of money to donate to a school, you'll just have to earn your way in like the rest of us peasants.

It's gonna be long road for you if you think mommy and daddy an get you into med school as they've always gotten you into other things.

Start donating.

Your whole admissions process is a bunch of whack nonsense. I was more curious how the OP thinks that his parents being surgeons will help with "opportunities and stuff." Specifically, if he was referring to his ease of access to volunteering and clinical experience and shadowing, or if he is under the impression that it will help him further on into school and residency selection.
I meant shadowing, research opportunities, advice. Nothing to do with residency or school

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your parents paying for tuition have to do with anything? or anything else you listed in this comment besides the initial question? I'm sorry if this comes across as mean, I would never try and shoo someone away. I'm new here and this forum is amazing I wish I had found out about it when I was younger . But it just sounds to me like you're bragging.

Dude why the hell would I be bragging? I have a valid question. I mean I was trying to be as specific as possible. I've read on many forums that paying full tuition helps so I was just wondering. I am a very humble person and I take offense to your comment bro

We always wonder I the applicant is perusing Medicine because s/he wants to, or because the parents are pushing them.

How does that decrease the applicant's chance? I guess compared to other folks, the applicant must have something extraordinary on their application as well as stellar GPA and MCAT score.

Short version is a girl, 1st generation south asian, was having difficulty with MCAT, helped get her a tutor who she confided she didnt want to go to medical school but felt very pressured by her physician. Tutor felt strongly I should talk to her about it and I did and it was more than obvious she didnt want to go but she didnt feel remotely comfortable in telling her father. So I offered to be safe ground to do so. Had a meeting with both of them, where she eventually told him she didnt want to go and would not go to medical school. At first the father , who was quite short but rotund, was in full disbelief then dumbfounded then angry blaming her, blaming the school for putting "silly" ideas in her heard. It was so was almost a comical scene to hear this man in very fast, very loud, very classic British colonial English accent, turning very red, jutting his finger in his daughter's face until it seemed he was going to strike her and I turned to insert myself between them, when SLAP! SLAP! across my face followed by the most grammatically correct and proper English vindictive speech it has been my pleasure to been hurled my way. I was stinging with the pain of a slap and overwhelmed by the absurdity of scene. A second later the New Yorker in me came out screaming my own obscenities, which were not nearly as proper as the good doctor. The girl screamed and someone from the floor came running in. Threats of police took the wind out of good doctor's sail and more importantly it appeared to be the break the girl needed. She went on to become a science teacher. So when I say I go to great pains to help my advisees, I speak from experience

You are a good mentor.

Reactions: 2 users
Short version is a girl, 1st generation south asian, was having difficulty with MCAT, helped get her a tutor who she confided she didnt want to go to medical school but felt very pressured by her physician. Tutor felt strongly I should talk to her about it and I did and it was more than obvious she didnt want to go but she didnt feel remotely comfortable in telling her father. So I offered to be safe ground to do so. Had a meeting with both of them, where she eventually told him she didnt want to go and would not go to medical school. At first the father , who was quite short but rotund, was in full disbelief then dumbfounded then angry blaming her, blaming the school for putting "silly" ideas in her heard. It was so was almost a comical scene to hear this man in very fast, very loud, very classic British colonial English accent, turning very red, jutting his finger in his daughter's face until it seemed he was going to strike her and I turned to insert myself between them, when SLAP! SLAP! across my face followed by the most grammatically correct and proper English vindictive speech it has been my pleasure to been hurled my way. I was stinging with the pain of a slap and overwhelmed by the absurdity of scene. A second later the New Yorker in me came out screaming my own obscenities, which were not nearly as proper as the good doctor. The girl screamed and someone from the floor came running in. Threats of police took the wind out of good doctor's sail and more importantly it appeared to be the break the girl needed. She went on to become a science teacher. So when I say I go to great pains to help my advisees, I speak from experience
I hope you got an apology from the father and a thank you from the daughter...

Reactions: 1 users
A classic proof that Tiger Parents come in all colors and cultures.

A classic proof that Tiger Parents come in all colors and cultures.
How so? Tiger parents are normally understood to be Asian. South Asian (most likely Indian in this case) is still Asian..

Dude, when I have a kid and they tell me they want to go to medical school in going to tell them that's great and they're gonna take out loans just like mommy.
Know the struggle kid, know it.

Dude, when I have a kid and they tell me they want to go to medical school in going to tell them that's great and they're gonna take out loans just like mommy.
Know the struggle kid, know it.

I can only imagine how much it'll cost by then.

/I'm rather appalled how much it costs now, to be honest, and I only graduated a half decade ago.

I think that the Chinese got tagged with the moniker first, thanks to author Amy Chua and her book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

I was recently at an event at a nearby convention center. At the same center was another even, something like "Getting your kids into Harvard or the Ivies".

Every one of the families there was East or South Asian.

If it had been on my native Long Island, I know that every family there would have been Jewish instead. I should know; I grew up with their parents!

Hence, all colors, all cultures.

How so? Tiger parents are normally understood to be Asian. South Asian (most likely Indian in this case) is still Asian..

I think that the Chinese got tagged with the moniker first, thanks to author Amy Chua and her book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

I was recently at an event at a nearby convention center. At the same center was another even, something like "Getting your kids into Harvard or the Ivies".

Every one of the families there was East or South Asian.

If it had been on my native Long Island, I know that every family there would have been Jewish instead. I should know; I grew up with their parents!

Hence, all colors, all cultures.
I would argue that it is mostly all Asians and Jewish that often are tiger parents, but the point is well taken.

It is really a result of more "traditional" cultural values and standards of either immigrants to the US or first generation that put upon their children. Very simplistically, they come to the country or have heard their parents say they came to US to make a better life for their children. Education is a path to do that.
I'm first-generation US citizen. I get it haha. @Goro and I were just having some fun

Indian, Chinese, whatever, all totally the same.

Except in terms of culture, religion, living environment, historical progression, language, appearance, and political development.

But other than that, exactly the same.
Nice jab, except that's not what I meant at all, and you know it. But even a sharpshooter like yourself can be allowed a few misses I guess!

I'm first-generation US citizen. I get it haha. @Goro and I were just having some fun
I REITERATE – WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN. In case anyone thinks we really think about people in terms of their skin color as represented by the closest ice cream flavor..

No - if anything, it would decrease your chances if I were interviewing you. I look at applicants with physician parents with a bit more skepticism than I do other applicants.

Is this based on personal experiences you've had with pysicians who have physician-parents? Or is it more of an unfounded personal bias? Not trying to be divisive, I'm actually curious and just being straight up.