Thanksgiving rule for 2020-2021 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Thanksgiving/Turkey rule will also apply this cycle? Or it's also delayed one month since AMCAS transmission was delayed by a month? Christmas rule then?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have wondered about that as well....I've heard some people say that, at the end of the day, the interviews are happening at about the same pace as they do every year (implying that t-day would have the same status) while others believe that all of the trains are running late, so to speak, and the station times are being changed.

like everything in 2020, who knows?

Reactions: 1 user
Not all schools are running behind. so you need to check the schools you are interested (school specific threads and interview tracker). usually 10% or less are reported here. There is also a list that shows how may they typically interview. use both to determine where schools are.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's this Thanksgiving rule? Is it that all IIs are done by that date?

So what's this Thanksgiving rule? Is it that all IIs are done by that date?
It's an arbitrary guideline that SDN adcoms use. If no II by Thanksgiving, prepare to reapply. May be different this year due to COVID.

Is there a similar rule for A's? So if you have had II's but still haven't heard back about an A by a certain date, consider reapplying?

Is there a similar rule for A's? So if you have had II's but still haven't heard back about an A by a certain date, consider reapplying?
That would be April, I think.

I came up with the Thanksgiving rule which states that you should enjoy your dinner and then think about reapplication if you haven't had at least one interview by Thanksgiving Day. The point is, don't start getting depressed in September or October or early November if you have not yet gotten an interview. I don't believe that the proportion of interviews made by 11/25 will be any different than last year. I stand by that rule. Of course, @gonnif says you should always be improving until you have an offer but we know that people naturally relax a bit while focusing on taking the MCAT, writing the AMCAS and writing secondaries.

Reactions: 5 users
Just a slight addition, the last few cycles I have noticed the number of post-Thanksgiving/post New Years II increasing. I have no data on this nor could I come up with some general rule about it. My gut feeling is 10%-20% of IIs are offered after the Turkey Day rule of thumb. Additionally, later IIs are more likely to be to "lesser" candidates, so conversion of late II to acceptance is probably lower as well

Thus I think that it is fair to say that if you haven't received one interivew invitation by Thanksgiving, you might have reason for concern. Before that, is not a time to worry given that so many interviews come out later than Aug/Sept/Oct.

Thus I think that it is fair to say that if you haven't received one interivew invitation by Thanksgiving, you might have reason for concern. Before that, is not a time to worry given that so many interviews come out later than Aug/Sept/Oct.
For schools that we've completed since mid July but haven't heard back by thanksgiving, it is fair to assume that they're soft Rs?

For schools that we've completed since mid July but haven't heard back by thanksgiving, it is fair to assume that they're soft Rs?

That's not what the Thanksgiving Rule is about. It is a way of saying, Don't worry about not having gotten any interviews until after Thanksgiving. Worrying about it earlier than that is too early to be worrrying about it.

Reactions: 5 users
Some veteran SDNers will say "you are rejected till you get accepted". But as a fellow applicant, I know it is very hard to have that mentality.

Last cycle, a close acquaintance of mine with great stats and ECs did not get any interviews till March, and is attending a T20 now. Given the craziness of this cycle, I would think the cycle will be very long. Keep the faith. If nothing till March or April, re-apply. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
That's not what the Thanksgiving Rule is about. It is a way of saying, Don't worry about not having gotten any interviews until after Thanksgiving. Worrying about it earlier than that is too early to be worrrying about it.
Does this also mean most IIs are given out before Thanksgiving and we can't expect much after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Historically, yes, most IIs are given out before Thanksgiving, but who knows this year.
I have seen posts saying usually there are about 10-15-20% after Thanksgiving but likely more this year.
Also saw another post saying Vandy sent an email saying they are running behind and will extend interviews by one month.

Meanwhile Toledo hasn't even STARTED interviews. Their SDN thread for this cycle is worth looking at, conversations on favorite cheese and beers.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Historically, most schools are at least 50-80% through making invites at this point. there will be some coming out now and into the winter and there are even instances of interviews and offers being made in May (!). If you haven't received even one interview invitation, you may be among the thousands of applicants who will not get even one interview and you should begin planning accordingly. You might be pleasantly surprised but better to prepare for an unsuccesssful cycle than to wake up one morning in May and find that you have no idea what you'll be doing in the coming year.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I've had only 2 MD II's this cycle but still haven't gotten any A's yet. Although I've applied to 4 DO schools, would it be wise to apply to more DO schools (3+ more)? Submitted my apps around early September.

If it means anything, one of my state med school only has completed less than 1/3 of its interviews as of now.

If it means anything, one of my state med school only has completed less than 1/3 of its interviews as of now.
Completed 1/3rd interviews or sent out only 1/3rd of IIs?

Some veteran SDNers will say "you are rejected till you get accepted". But as a fellow applicant, I know it is very hard to have that mentality.

Last cycle, a close acquaintance of mine with great stats and ECs did not get any interviews till March, and is attending a T20 now. Given the craziness of this cycle, I would think the cycle will be very long. Keep the faith. If nothing till March or April, re-apply. Good luck.
I know it's hard, and it actually triggers some snowflakes here, but it IS a healthier mindset, as the wise LizzyM has mentioned.

I have only had 3 IIs so far and no As. I know it is still something, but I am still pretty disappointed about it. I expected more, I have good stats (4.0/518) and decent ECs. Yet, most of my top choices have been radio silent, and now at this point in the cycle, I feel like I shouldn't expect many more IIs. I had my hopes up because I ended up finishing most of my apps at the end of august, and I also thought this cycle was delayed because of COVID. But the feedback I have been getting from most people is that most schools have been moving at around the same pace.

• Care
I have only had 3 IIs so far and no As. I know it is still something, but I am still pretty disappointed about it. I expected more, I have good stats (4.0/518) and decent ECs. Yet, most of my top choices have been radio silent, and now at this point in the cycle, I feel like I shouldn't expect many more IIs. I had my hopes up because I ended up finishing most of my apps at the end of august, and I also thought this cycle was delayed because of COVID. But the feedback I have been getting from most people is that most schools have been moving at around the same pace.
My top choices are silent as well. But if we speak about that in SDN, we will hear a lot of entitlement :p .
At this time, all you can do is wait, unless you have some updates to send to the schools.
Good luck.

Amen to what R2 and Goro said about believing you're rejected until you're accepted. I've been planning to reapply since day 1. Some people may think that's ridiculous, but I felt like I had a shot at my dream school, even though I know my application could always be better. I'm a nontrad with low GPA, so I plan to continue taking classes, etc until I get accepted - even if that's not until next cycle. Or later.

I fully accepted that I would be automatically rejected from some schools and that I would be lower on the pile everywhere just based on my numbers. I'd be disappointed to not get in, but not devastated, because I know I have what it takes to make it eventually. It's a very competitive process and thousands of very qualified folks don't get in the first time (or maybe even ever). Don't let it get to you! Life is too short to be wasted worrying.

(And low and behold, I have an interview with my dream school!)

Last edited: