That Cadaver Smell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senor Fish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a better title would have been ‘that formaldehyde smell. Has anyone found something that works to remove it from your hands?

Yes, I double glove and wash my hands with antibacterial soap- but they still stink! Anyone found a substance that removes the smell?

Thanks,

Fish

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps a better title would have been ‘that formaldehyde smell. Has anyone found something that works to remove it from your hands?

Yes, I double glove and wash my hands with antibacterial soap- but they still stink! Anyone found a substance that removes the smell?

Thanks,

Fish

If you look at the board a bit more closely, you will see an active thread which adequately addresses this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case anyone is still reading this thread....

I have found that lemon juice can remove most smells from hands.

It works wonders when you, for example, cook with onions/garlic and can't stand the smell on your hands. Just take a lemon and squeeze it/rub it over your hands.

It might work with formaldehyde, too.

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread....

I have found that lemon juice can remove most smells from hands.

It works wonders when you, for example, cook with onions/garlic and can't stand the smell on your hands. Just take a lemon and squeeze it/rub it over your hands.

It might work with formaldehyde, too.

Then again, the onions and garlic might work too.

lemon juice does work pretty well, but it dries out your hands. I used it for the first week or two, then just got over the fact that I smelled faintly of anatomy lab for rest of the first few months of school. it's a rite of passage. :)

lemon juice does work pretty well, but it dries out your hands. I used it for the first week or two, then just got over the fact that I smelled faintly of anatomy lab for rest of the first few months of school. it's a rite of passage. :)

Have you thought of just using a very good moisturizing lotion on your hands afterward? It works. (Maybe you're a guy and refuse to use lotion, like my brother does :rolleyes: )

Use Nitrile Gloves- no double gloving necessary- then take a shower to get it out of your hair, also don't wear contacts to lab

I just accept the fact that I'm a smelly first year...no shame in smelling like a cadaver :)

Use Nitrile Gloves- no double gloving necessary- then take a shower to get it out of your hair, also don't wear contacts to lab

Please explain why you shouln't wear contacts, thats all I have. Of course I could get some glasses - is it that important?

Please explain why you shouln't wear contacts, thats all I have. Of course I could get some glasses - is it that important?

If you have RGPs (like I did), they tend to conentrate gases onto the surface of your eyes. This is a good thing when it comes to oxygen, but formaldehyde and other chemicals can wreak havoc on your eyes if your contacts are actively diffusing them in. I think soft contact lens wearers are okay, but don't quote me on that.

If you have RGPs (like I did), they tend to conentrate gases onto the surface of your eyes. This is a good thing when it comes to oxygen, but formaldehyde and other chemicals can wreak havoc on your eyes if your contacts are actively diffusing them in. I think soft contact lens wearers are okay, but don't quote me on that.

So, you read "Confessions" too, huh?

(by looking at your signature)

I'm in the middle of it right now, and it is such a wonderful book! It is amazing all the things and feelings he describes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Using nitirile gloves will keep the smell off your hands.

So, you read "Confessions" too, huh?

(by looking at your signature)

I'm in the middle of it right now, and it is such a wonderful book! It is amazing all the things and feelings he describes.

If you are referring to "Complications" (and not "Confessions") ;) , then yeah, it is one of the greatest pieces of medical literature ever. Their was even a passage from it on my MCAT. Definitely a must read for any medical professional :thumbup:

Yes, I meant "Complications" (where in the world did I come up with Confessions anyway?)

You are right, it's a great book. :thumbup:

Actually, it's the soft lens wearers who are NOT alright. The hard lenses are not porous, the soft ones are. So, if you wear soft lenses in for any length of time, you could be asking for trouble.

Actually, it's the soft lens wearers who are NOT alright. The hard lenses are not porous, the soft ones are. So, if you wear soft lenses in for any length of time, you could be asking for trouble.

You are right, the soft lenses are porous and should be avoided as well. But I was referring to RGPs (rigid gas permeable lens) and not hard lenses which have been out of regular usage for quite some time now. RGPs are porous with the added effect of concentrating gases directly on your cornea. Since soft lenses cover a wider area of the eye, the effects are less toxic than concentrating the gas to particular area of the eye. But yes, contact lenses in general should be avoided

They said it before, it is a right of passage, of sorts.

Nitriles work better then latex, but you still smell a little, since it is on the air and gets on your arms a little too. A good shower and scrubbing helps get rid of the smell, plus don't take your clothes home and wash them with your other stuff. Use your crappiest shoes, leave them in the changing room, leave them for good once your are through with the class. Same with socks, and whatever clothes/lab coat you used too.

If you are going out (date, family event) and want that faint odor off your hands, try scrubbing your hands/wrists with toothpaste. An old anatomist taught me this, and it worked well enough that my dates couldn't detect it.

Hey my throat feel dryish and irritated as hell. Is it bc I've been in the lab too much and peering over things too closely? It's not an infectious type of soreness, it feels like more superficial irritation but it's still painful and persistent. I guess I should start using the masks for a while.

Hey my throat feel dryish and irritated as hell. Is it bc I've been in the lab too much and peering over things too closely? It's not an infectious type of soreness, it feels like more superficial irritation but it's still painful and persistent. I guess I should start using the masks for a while.
I had that for a while and I thought it was due to inhaling too much f my hair products. But in a few days it turned into a dry throaty cough and then a painful chesty cough after a week that lasted about 10 days even while I was on antibiotics. I'm not saying that's what'll happen to you, but just take care of yourself and keep an eye out. There may be something going around.

I had that for a while and I thought it was due to inhaling too much f my hair products. But in a few days it turned into a dry throaty cough and then a painful chesty cough after a week that lasted about 10 days even while I was on antibiotics. I'm not saying that's what'll happen to you, but just take care of yourself and keep an eye out. There may be something going around.
oh yeah, and drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. ;)

Wash dishes. Submerging your hands in hot soapy water for about half an hour will pretty much get any smell off of them.

I discovered this by accident (no dishwasher) and have been suggesting it ever since.

If you are going out (date, family event) and want that faint odor off your hands, try scrubbing your hands/wrists with toothpaste. An old anatomist taught me this, and it worked well enough that my dates couldn't detect it.

That's what I was taught to use when I learned to embalm. You can also use it to wash your hair to get rid of the smell there and it will not dry out your hair that much.

In the funeral business, it's referred to as "embalmer's bronchitis", "prep room cough", or "director's cough". It's most likely irritation due to the preservatives. Try getting a more appropriately fitting facemask, as that normally helps somewhat.

In the funeral business, it's referred to as "embalmer's bronchitis", "prep room cough", or "director's cough". It's most likely irritation due to the preservatives. Try getting a more appropriately fitting facemask, as that normally helps somewhat.
Ah thanks for the insider's perspective. Yeah I can already feel it going away, good thing it wasn't infectious. Must have to do with mucous membranes, like inhaling ammonia and other volatile irritants. I hadn't been donning a mask before, but neither had others and I haven't really heard complaints..I feel so wimpy! :(

I didn't know that. 4 days into dissection and I have bronchitis and have been put on an inhaler for the first time in my life. I was trying to figure out why I got so sick so quickly. I didn't even think that it could be due to spending so much time in anatomy lab.

Thanks,

Fish

try cutting a lemon in quarters and squeeze one quarter into your hands and rub it in after washing your hands with soap and water.

I'de be curious to see if skunk odor remover would work. For $10 it might be worth a try :confused:

There's also a lot of specialty soaps found in cooking stores made for removing strong odors, specifically onions.

I was told to only wash my hands with cold water, apparently hot water opens the pores in the skin and the cadaver funk just goes right in and doesnt come out ...

:thumbup: Agree with nitrile gloves. I did wear my contacts to lab, but I had to throw them away more often than normal. Probably wasn't the best idea though.

Just a quick sidebar--your cadaver should not be prepared with formaldehyde. It is now considered to be a carcinogen not to be taken lightly. They used to use it in the old days, nowadays I don't think they should be using it.

My school uses a 5% phenol/glycerol solution.

I personally use glove liners in addition to nitriles. A little soap and water is all I need. My clothes are a worse problem--gotta wash them in separate loads.

Since phenol is so much better for you than formaldehyde :rolleyes:

Touche! Yeah unfortunately I can't think of any large volume chemical that will kill bacteria while preserving tissue that isn't nasty for you in general. I looked at your link, though, and it gives no carcinogenic studies for humans. Cancer is the key buzzword nowadays.

Shredder I think I'm having the same problem. I thought I was sick because I also have been feeling really tired after gross lab days on top of the sore throat. I even went to see a doctor who just told me I should be sleeping more and that it was viral, lol. I started wearing the silly mask and now its all good. Don't feel bad, do what you need to do to be at your optimum for studyin.

I feel really tired after gross lab too and I also think it's the formalin. What silly mask are you talking about Psipsina? Just like an OR mask?

I feel really tired after gross lab too and I also think it's the formalin. What silly mask are you talking about Psipsina? Just like an OR mask?

Yeah, just wearing the disposable surgical mask really helped alot. They're really uncomfortable but it makes a huge difference in how I feel for the next day, especially on the days when we're in there for 4+ hours.

Cool, I might give it a try because I spend way too much time breathing that stuff. I wish there was a way to detoxify from it after we left....like an herb or something. It cannot be good for us!

I double glove with nitrile because I was having tingly sensations on the dorsal part of my hand after lab. I put on 2 pairs of gloves. If I need to do something to remove gloves, I only take off the top layer because the 2nd layer is untouched. Then I put on another layer after. So in the end I'm only using 1 more pair of gloves per lab which isn't bad at all.:thumbup:

WhatUpDoc and BaylorMed, what book where you referring to when you were talking about "Complications"? I would love to read something like that.

Double gloving with nitrile gloves REALLY doesn't let the smell in. That's what I used.

Also I wore my contacts (soft, acuvue advance) all throughout the 9 weeks of anatomy and did great. I actually think I was the only one in my group who DIDN'T suffer from eye irritation.

i tried lemon juice but it didn't work.
as others have said, double glove with nitrile. works perfectly. also if you get a tear, you have a backup.
another trick: put some liquid soap or lotion between the layers so you can slide the second set on easily.