MD & DO That time is coming.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioman137

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker and first actual post. I will be applying to medical schools next cycle ,and I would like to know my chances. I am a Tennessee Resident and current undergrad at ETSU. Sorry for the wall of text in advance!!
Caucasian
Biology major
Classical Studies Minor
Cumulative Gpa: 3.7
BCPM Gpa: 3.68 (both are estimations assuming the next academic year goes as planned
MCAT: 33

Extracurriculars:
2 years Genetics research 2 publications as 2nd author with a fairly well known Ph.D
450ish volunteer hours
- 200 hrs as a Volunteer Discharge Liason (interview patients leaving the hospital about their stay and problems with their care)
-75 hrs at a Regional Cancer treatment center (talking to patients, bringing food, helping with paper work etc.)
- 100 hrs as a Volunteer ICU attendant (assisting nurses with light tasks, answering call lights etc.)
Vice President and Co-Founder of a Student pre-professional volunteering assosication 2 years around 30-35 active members.
- around 100-150 hours of misc. community service through VA hospital, homeless clinics, various nursing homes, animal shelters, and a bit of environmental work cleaning up local lakes (all through above organization)
2.5 year member (1 year national member) of Tri-Beta (Biological Honor Society)
1 summer Gross Anatomy Lab Internship through Quillen COM
300 hours shadowing
125 through a DO surgeon
75 through a MD Internal Medicine
50 through MD Family Practice
and I am trying to get in with a Infectious Disease MD this year

Letters of Recommendation
1 from Research Professor
1 from DO Surgeon
1 BioChem Professor

The schools I am applying to are (Last 3 are stretch schools):
Quillen COM
Meharry (maybe not, since I just found out it is a predominantly African American exclusive school) *EDIT*
UT COM
LMU (DO)
Pikeville (DO)
UNC COM
Univ. Virginia COM
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Duke

Thanks for your honest opinions and feedback in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good, especially your ECs. I'd say you have a good shot at your in-state schools, especially ETSU. Just going off the MSAR, UNC doesn't look like they take a lot of OOS, but I'm probably gonna apply there anyway, too. I would probably recommend adding a few more mid-tier private schools in addition to what you already have. Depending on where you want to live, there are a bunch in PA, NY, Chicago, etc.

I am wanting to stay relatively close to home, so that's why I listed the in state schools first.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Emory, Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Virginia, Saint Louis? By the way, have you taken the MCAT already, and are those ECs current?

yep got a 33 and the EC's are all current
What about Emory, Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Virginia, Saint Louis? By the way, have you taken the MCAT already, and are those ECs current?

Good list! Delete Meherry and Duke.
Goro suggests

Quillen COM
UTN COM
LMU (DO)
Pikeville (DO)
U WV
WV COM
EVMS
VCU
CampbellCOM
Vanderbilt (if you can get both GPAs to 3.7 and stay there)
Wake Forest
AT Still
VCOM
VCOM-SC
PCOM-GA
U KY (maybe)
U Louisville (maybe)

Thanks for your honest opinions and feedback in advance![/QUOTE]

Good list! Delete Meherry and Duke.
Goro suggests

Quillen COM
UTN COM
LMU (DO)
Pikeville (DO)
U WV
WV COM
EVMS
VCU
CampbellCOM
Vanderbilt (if you can get both GPAs to 3.7 and stay there)
Wake Forest
AT Still
VCOM
VCOM-SC
PCOM-GA
U KY (maybe)
U Louisville (maybe)

Thanks for your honest opinions and feedback in advance!
[/QUOTE]
what about my EC's and GPA? my top pick is Quillen.