That's Right. Another OMS Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Does anyone know of a four year oms program that will give you enough cosmetic experience to do rhinoplastys and such in private practice?
2. Do you work 7 days per week during residency (I guess you must with the 80-120 hrs per week that I've heard of)?
3. I've heard that if you go to private practice you can pretty much kiss your chances of orthognathic surgery goodbye. Is this true?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Virginia comes to mind from when I was applying. I think Jacksonville, FL and Emory may have some cosmetics trained faculty.

2. Your work schedule depends on what service you are rotating on. At my program, while you are on oral surgery you do Monday-Friday about 6:30 to 5:00 on average. You only come in on a weekend day if you're on call. If you're on call on a weekday, you just spend the night along with working your normal weekdays. So if you're on call on a Monday, you would come in at about 6:30am Monday morning and leave about 5:00pm Tuesday (or earlier/later depending on when all the work is done).

While you are rotating on other services such as general surgery, they have an set of rules to live by which requires them to give you at least one 24-hour period off every week, and no more than 80 hours per week in the hospital.