The 2015 LIS pre-vet challenge

Started by LetItSnow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This was in the rant thread - I'm giving it its own home.

Challenging any pre-vets to shave down their cat and draw/paint anatomically correct musculature on one side and skeleton on the other. Pics must satisfy me that you actually did it and didn't find something on the Internet, though DVMD assures me nothing is out there.

A useful vet school text* will be awarded to the person best meeting the challenge, as decided by an impartial panel consisting of @DVMDream and @dyachei and me.

Contest closes on April 1. I own the rights to any pictures submitted. Starting April 2nd, the judges will evaluate any submissions, picking the best one. If there is only one, it still must meet the criteria to win.

Addendum #1: Musculature/skeleton does not need to be depicted on tail or head; those parts also do not need to be shaved. You do not need to shave feet, either.

*There will be at least three options.
 
Last edited:
10259868_748558118573694_1748688367274498399_n.jpg

It's on!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This was in the rant thread - I'm giving it its own home.

Challenging any pre-vets to shave down their cat and draw anatomically correct musculature on one side and skeleton on the other. Pics must satisfy me that you actually did it and didn't find something on the Internet, though DVMD assures me nothing is out there.

A useful vet school text* will be awarded to the first person to meet the challenge in a satisfactory way, as decided by an impartial panel consisting of @DVMDream and @dyachei and me.

Contest closes by April 1. I own the rights to any pictures submitted. Submission times will be determined by posting the pics here.

*There will be at least three options.

I have been wanting cat recently after I placed my last foster into a home. This makes me want to foster another kitty 🙁 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@LetItSnow will decisions be made in April, or to whomever satisfies the judges' requirements first? I almost don't want this to become a race, and would like to take time to plan and accustom my cat to handling
 
Could I draw it on a picture of a shaved cat? I could do some really cool detail that way, and I wouldn't have any ethical issues with my cats consuming whatever ink/stain/paint that I used.
You could use non-toxic face paint, non-toxic finger paint meant for kids, or special pet paint. When the Big Cat Rescue in Tampa had some of their residents paint, they used finger paint.
 
Luckily, one of my roommates is into knitting and crochet, so a kitten sweater for an indoor cat will be no problem for her ^_^
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohh! It's too bad I'm ineligible since I was gonna shave for ultrasound eventually anyway.

I've seen markers at pet stores that you can buy (to draw on white dogs) and horse people draw on their ponies with special chalk, so that would be the way to go I think.
 
1461647_10151710624107563_1034644161_n.jpg


I'm pretty sure this is her "Yeah, try me" face. I'm also sure that if I did try it I wouldn't actually survive to see the beginning of vet school!
 
Ohh! It's too bad I'm ineligible since I was gonna shave for ultrasound eventually anyway.

I've seen markers at pet stores that you can buy (to draw on white dogs) and horse people draw on their ponies with special chalk, so that would be the way to go I think.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that make you ineligible?
 
@LetItSnow will decisions be made in April, or to whomever satisfies the judges' requirements first? I almost don't want this to become a race, and would like to take time to plan and accustom my cat to handling

Hm. Your point is well made. But at the same time, I'm not giving out awards to everyone who does it (not that I expect any/many to do it, but I don't want to be on the hook to award multiple people).

Hm. Options are, as best I can see:

1) First entry that satisfies wins.
2) Set a deadline, and judges pick from the best entry at that time. If it's only one entry, wins by default it meets the requirements.

@DVMDream and @dyachei ... opinions? I'm inclined toward option 2.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am still trying to figure out what the orange thing is... and why the lungs are behind the heart... and what happened to the kidneys, spleen and liver (unless the orange things is liver, but I am thinking stomach).... and why the orange thing is between the lungs .. hmm...
I think the orange thing is liver, and she left out stomach, kidneys, and spleen. Which is definitely problematic for the health of her cat...
 
I am still trying to figure out what the orange thing is... and why the lungs are behind the heart... and what happened to the kidneys, spleen and liver (unless the orange things is liver, but I am thinking stomach).... and why the orange thing is between the lungs .. hmm...
Glad I could provide you such a brain teaser :laugh: