The 4/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome, all April 18, 2008, MCATers!!!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

oh my gosh!! we have a club, which means we are within a week. holy crap...

*frantically returns to flashcards, and wonders why she took the weekend off*

Haha, I feel guilty for taking a break today too. When do you guys plan to take your last full length practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I feel guilty for taking a break today too. When do you guys plan to take your last full length practice?

Probably on Wednesday I think. Sheesh, as I am typing this, I am getting an adrenaline rush just thinking about taking this thing on Friday. Just typing the word adrenaline is making me think of pupil dialation, increased heart rate and the CNS, haha. I am going to be pretty glad when this thing is over and done with.

It seems like there are a lot less of us than there were 4/5 MCATers. I think some will come out of the woodwork after the exam.

oh my gosh!! we have a club, which means we are within a week. holy crap...

*frantically returns to flashcards, and wonders why she took the weekend off*

whoa! totally thought you were a dude haha.

I agree, plenty will come out of the woodworks once the test is over.

How are you guys spending this week? I'm gonna do a verbal practice each day and some practice problems but not much else (other than AAMC 10 on wednesday). Good luck!

whoa! totally thought you were a dude haha.

I agree, plenty will come out of the woodworks once the test is over.

How are you guys spending this week? I'm gonna do a verbal practice each day and some practice problems but not much else (other than AAMC 10 on wednesday). Good luck!

I'll be taking #10 on Wednesday as well and doing a verbal test in the EK book each day. Kind of stinks that 7 passages in that book equates to about 44-47 questions. I guess it's extra practice. I might aim for two verbal tests. I really need to get better!

haha. so not a dude.

I took my last FL on Friday. Last time, I tested until the last minute. This time I decided to back off a little. I'm reviewing all the tests I've taken and looking over my flashcards and "worry" concepts this week... then going in there and kickin ***.

I took one on saturday and was not very pleased with my score although it was higher than most of my others. I will take my last one (cbt 8) on wednesday. I was nervous but now I dont care anymore.

I took one on saturday and was not very pleased with my score although it was higher than most of my others. I will take my last one (cbt 8) on wednesday. I was nervous but now I dont care anymore.

I so know what you mean about not caring anymore...what is done is done, and all we can do is take the damn test now.

ditto. I'm walking around in a fog from the studying, and somehow must manage to get through three more days of school, including a genetics test. :scared:

thankfully, I have a high "A" in the class and it won't be hurt with one less-than-perfect test grade. I don't see myself studying much for this one when MCAT is less than a week away.

I'm reviewing notes/flashcards today, taking AAMC 10 tomorrow (hopefully thats not too much of a confidence buster....), reviewing more notes/old tests/flashcards wednesday, then not thinking about it thursday. good luck everybody

ditto. I'm walking around in a fog from the studying, and somehow must manage to get through three more days of school, including a genetics test. :scared:

Same thing is happening to me except my test is in biochem. it would be so nice if I just didn't have any other responsibilities right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
broke down and took 3R today... and was shocked/amazed at the results. I know this one isn't as telling, but I'm beginning to think I started peaking at just the right time..

12/13/12

Jeebus! If I manage 10+ on EITHER science (but esp PS), I'll be estatic.
This test was God's gift to me as a confidence booster, no doubt.

broke down and took 3R today... and was shocked/amazed at the results. I know this one isn't as telling, but I'm beginning to think I started peaking at just the right time..

12/13/12

Jeebus! If I manage 10+ on EITHER science (but esp PS), I'll be estatic.
This test was God's gift to me as a confidence booster, no doubt.
You're going to do great...a 37!!! :eek: Most people say that 3 isn't the best indicator...but how much different could your score be? I am sure you're going to kick ***!

You're going to do great...a 37!!! :eek: Most people say that 3 isn't the best indicator...but how much different could your score be? I am sure you're going to kick ***!

My high score before this one was a 33 a while back. Was stuck fighting sciences at 9-10, and may on the real deal... but this was AMAZING!

With lots of prayer and a little review, I only hope to do almost as well on Friday! :)

My high score before this one was a 33 a while back. Was stuck fighting sciences at 9-10, and may on the real deal... but this was AMAZING!

With lots of prayer and a little review, I only hope to do almost as well on Friday! :)

Oh wow! Congrats. I've been consistently getting 9-10s on the sciences as well with verbal being 6-9. I got 10s on a verbal a few times so I got into the 30 mark, but I'm definitely going to need 11s on the sciences and hopefully an 8-9 this Friday to get in the 30s

4 more days...

My brain is near its saturation point with all the studying and practice tests. It also sucks when you have other classes to study for and assignments due (um, in my world, until April 18th the MCATs take precedence). I can't wait for it to be over.

Good luck everyone.

I am soooo ready to get this test over with. I just hope it's similar to the AAMC practice tests. Easily the worst part for me is knowing that I'll have to wait an entire month for my scores.

I am soooo ready to get this test over with. I just hope it's similar to the AAMC practice tests. Easily the worst part for me is knowing that I'll have to wait an entire month for my scores.

it is similar to the AAMC tests. it's like exactly the same. i just took it like a week ago on April 5th and it felt like another AAMC practice test. the only thing was the verbal passages were a lil longer BUT were easier reads. the questions seemed a lil harder tho.

another thing was on all the AAMCs the last 5-6 questions were always NPQs. on the one i just took the last like 3 ?s were NPQ. the last 3 before those were just THREE questions for an ENTIRE passage. haha...that threw me off a lil on the physics...i was rdy for it by the time bio came around tho. many ppl said they thought the bio was much harder than normal. idk...i thought it was easier because it barely had any ochem on it, but i'm also a bio major. the physics i thought was a lil harder tho. i had some issues finishing...didn't have time to read the last passage. just had to answer the questions without reading to finish the NPQs.

good luck!

4 more days...

My brain is near its saturation point with all the studying and practice tests. It also sucks when you have other classes to study for and assignments due (um, in my world, until April 18th the MCATs take precedence). I can't wait for it to be over.

Good luck everyone.

Ditto. 14 hours at school/work (at school) today and all I can think about is getting home and back to reviewing. Genetics test tomorrow, and I'm grateful some of the material is important for MCAT, makes the studying see ma little less worthless... but my brain is no where near William Carey University right now.

AAMC 10 verbal rocked me. 9. 13/14 on bs/ps though:) can't complain. good luck everybody!

cant believe the test is on thursday. well, i feel i'm as prepared as i could ever be, yet i get very nervous thinking about it. good luck to all, victory will be ours.

Woo!

My last AAMC test ends on a high note.

AAMC 9 (15/11/12):38

Finally got that 15 in PS I've been coveting.

Just completed AAMC 9, my last practice exam. PS11 VR7 BS11. Seems like I am getting overwhelmed by verbal as of lately. I also got a 7 in AAMC 10. However, there was some improvement in BS, so can't be too negative. I hope and pray that I can at least score a 9 on VR, that's my only hope if I were to break a 30. Should I do more verbal practice? I am already sick of it and feel completely disinterested in it during the exam, and boy I have done some extensive practice (more than 200 passages or so). I feel if I can just manage to focus and pay more attention, I'll be okay. I think I should start praying now :)

Just completed AAMC 9, my last practice exam. PS11 VR7 BS11. Seems like I am getting overwhelmed by verbal as of lately. I also got a 7 in AAMC 10. However, there was some improvement in BS, so can't be too negative. I hope and pray that I can at least score a 9 on VR, that's my only hope if I were to break a 30. Should I do more verbal practice? I am already sick of it and feel completely disinterested in it during the exam, and boy I have done some extensive practice (more than 200 passages or so). I feel if I can just manage to focus and pay more attention, I'll be okay. I think I should start praying now :)

Same boat as you. Just took AAMC 10 with 10-8-10. I was a question away for an 11 in Bio AND physical. I thought I did better on Verbal and the scale for this test wasn't too friendly. I guess Verbal will determine my score this Friday :rolleyes:

I think confidence has a lot to do with verbal performance.

I won't guarantee that this will work, but it may be worth giving it a shot:

Take one of your old AAMC verbal tests, preferably one that you did well on. Hopefully this will put you in the right "mode" on testing day.

Man...I can't let it go...i took AAMC10 two days ago, 8V 12B 13P. Thought I could use some more practice on verbal...so I did AAMC 3, 4 and 7 Verbal....---> I got 8, 5 and a 7 respectively.

I am Stressing out big time right now. ....a "5" ...

I'm going to do more verbal passages today and go over my notes tomorrow for about 3 hours....hopefully I can get at least an 8 on verbal.

Well guys it looks like I wont break into the 30's.

CBT7- 10v, 9b, 8p past saturday
CBT10- 10v, 9b, 7p two weeks ago

today cbt 8 8p

damn physics. I just hope that I can get a 28 or 29. I guess we will see on may 20th.

best of luck everyone

This is bullcrap!!!! I just finished test #10. My verbal score is a 4!!!!! My PS was an 8 but I got 37/52 correct.... and on BS I got a 9 with 35/52.... they are the same amount of questions but a 37 kept me at an 8 while a 35 on bio have me a 9. Is this correct. Idk what to do about verbal. I just don't have the technique down. I did EK 101 somedays I scored in the 9 and somedays I would get 4 and 6. Any advice? I don't want the verbal to keep me from being a physician. How can I master it??? Please someone help. Thanks and good luck to everyone on Friday.

I'm kind of in awe of the fact that I've studied 4 months for this exam and still don't feel completely confident about it. Lol.

Just finished AAMC10 and I'm pretty burnt out. Gonna relax for a day and hopefully do well on the real thing. I am still shaky on on VR but with some luck I think I should be fine. Here are my score progressions. Good luck on Friday guys!

Kaplan Diagnostic (38 = 13, 13, 12)
TPR Online Diagnostic 1 (33 = 12, 10, 11)
Kaplan FL1 (32 = 12, 9, 11)
Kaplan FL2 (33 = 12, 10, 11))
AAMC3 (33 = 12, 9, 12)
Kaplan FL3 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC4 (36 = 13, 9, 14)
Kaplan FL4 (36 = 12, 12, 12)
AAMC5 (32 = 13, 8, 11)
Kaplan FL5 (34 = 13, 10, 11)
AAMC6 (36 = 12, 12, 12)
Kaplan FL6 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC7 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC8 (38 = 13, 12, 13)
AAMC9 (38 = 14, 12, 12)
AAMC10 (36 = 13, 10, 13)

Just finished AAMC10 and I'm pretty burnt out. Gonna relax for a day and hopefully do well on the real thing. I am still shaky on on VR but with some luck I think I should be fine. Here are my score progressions. Good luck on Friday guys!

Kaplan Diagnostic (38 = 13, 13, 12)

TPR Online Diagnostic 1 (33 = 12, 10, 11)
Kaplan FL1 (32 = 12, 9, 11)
Kaplan FL2 (33 = 12, 10, 11))
AAMC3 (33 = 12, 9, 12)
Kaplan FL3 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC4 (36 = 13, 9, 14)
Kaplan FL4 (36 = 12, 12, 12)
AAMC5 (32 = 13, 8, 11)
Kaplan FL5 (34 = 13, 10, 11)
AAMC6 (36 = 12, 12, 12)
Kaplan FL6 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC7 (36 = 13, 11, 12)
AAMC8 (38 = 13, 12, 13)
AAMC9 (38 = 14, 12, 12)
AAMC10 (36 = 13, 10, 13)
WTF!?!?! How did you manage that?

WTF!?!?! How did you manage that?

I studied PS and BS hardcore for 2 weeks before taking the diagnostic and the verbal was really easy for some reason, not like AAMC stuff. The PS and BS curves were really nice too. I think everyone should study before taking a diag as to accurately gauge their weaknesses. Good luck tomorrow guys.

does anyone know anyone who got higher score on the real thing than on the practice?

Most people will tell you it doesn't happen often, and not to hope for it. But a regular poster on SDN, maybe even a mod (I'm not sure), scored 2-3 points higher (i can't remember their name). I think they had been getting high twenties and came out with a 31....

Most people will tell you it doesn't happen often, and not to hope for it. But a regular poster on SDN, maybe even a mod (I'm not sure), scored 2-3 points higher (i can't remember their name). I think they had been getting high twenties and came out with a 31....

There ARE people who can step up when the time comes. Most of us aren't in that league. We tend to have adrenaline and a million thoughts impeding things a bit. I've heard of it happening a few times. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw with questions. One of my friends had just finished 2 tests, both of which had passages on the MCAT last year.

I drove out to the testing center today to find out where it was. I felt like a football player stepping out onto the field of an empty stadium before the big game. I just envisioned everything: Pulling in, cracking open that door and feeling my heart pound as I check in. Walking into the room with the computers and feeling the sweats kick in while I try to gain my bearings. That first slow motion "OHHHHHHHHHHH ****" moment as the screen pops up... It is kind of surreal in a way. I hope I can study for my finals afterwards. It is such a culmination of time for such a minute thing in the grand scope of one's life. We premeds tend to over-exaggerate and flip out, but really it is just one test in the line of a lifetime of testing. This time tomorrow it'll all be done. Hopefully not one that needs repeating.