The 5/10/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am surprised this thread has not been started yet!! How is everyone feeling about the test?? How are you spending your last week & 1/2? I am retaking from Jan 26th so this is IT! I'm more ready to have it done than nervous...what about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that everyone is somewhat at peace with our approaching test. I've been wishing to myself lately that I had a little more time to do another practice exam, review this subject or that one a little more. The fact is, if I were given that time, I would want yet a little more, and then more again. By this time next week, the test will be less than a memory, as I suspect most of us will quickly forget about it.

You are ready if you feel ready, and if you don't, consider this wisdom:

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but your estimation of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

I hope that everyone is somewhat at peace with our approaching test. I've been wishing to myself lately that I had a little more time to do another practice exam, review this subject or that one a little more. The fact is, if I were given that time, I would want yet a little more, and then more again. By this time next week, the test will be less than a memory, as I suspect most of us will quickly forget about it.

You are ready if you feel ready, and if you don't, consider this wisdom:

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but your estimation of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Very nice....thanks for that! I am getting nervous, but trying to remain calm. Good luck to everyone on these next two days :luck:

In case it makes anyone feel better, I've been sick all week.

I'm not sure why that would make anyone feel better. I guess I just wanted to whine a little bit. I'm still taking this test, though, durn it!

Seriously, good luck to everyone - I think many of us will find that the adrenaline will keep us focused on the real deal, and we'll blow it out of the water.

Even if some of us are sick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Josh, you are going to do GREAT. I'm not even freaking near 37. We are going to be fine. Stay reallllly confident--so important--get into the mindset that you are going to KICK THE MCAT'S MOTHER ****ING ***. :) The SDN is full of people with outrageously high MCAT practice test scores. This is NOT the norm. After I got a 23 the first time I took it I logged on to see how other people did and it made me want to die because all the scores were soooooo high. In other words, practice test scores that high are few and far between normally, but NOT here. You're going to do great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to kill this test you guys. Come ON. I know we are all capable of getting great scores.

Maxwell Edison, I love those words of wisdom. So true.

And, no one ever feels 100% like they did everything they possibly could. There is wayyyy too much material for that to be possible. We have all done pretty damn good though.

Dr Josh, you are going to do GREAT. I'm not even freaking near 37. We are going to be fine. Stay reallllly confident--so important--get into the mindset that you are going to KICK THE MCAT'S MOTHER ****ING ***. :) The SDN is full of people with outrageously high MCAT practice test scores. This is NOT the norm. After I got a 23 the first time I took it I logged on to see how other people did and it made me want to die because all the scores were soooooo high. In other words, practice test scores that high are few and far between normally, but NOT here. You're going to do great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been teaching standardized tests for years now, and I can tell you that all of the self-reporting that goes on in places like this is HUGELY out-of-whack. Ask yourself, "what group of people is going to be most likely to share their scores openly?" The answer is ALWAYS "those who have very high scores." On top of that, people are under no compulsion to tell the truth. So when you read all these people talking about their ultra-high scores, you're getting a horribly distorted view of the population of test takers. Do not allow what you read on here to discourage you.

Oh, and Maxwell Edison, I love your screen name. I only wish I had thought of it first. Do I need to be worried that you're sociopathic, though?

Majoring in Medicine indeed.

Oh, and Maxwell Edison, I love your screen name. I only wish I had thought of it first. Do I need to be worried that you're sociopathic, though?

Too early to tell. We'll have to see how my scores come back.

As for Bearferret's comment on the trustworthiness of people's score reporting:
idog.jpg

hahaha I took a final practice test today (which in hindsight was a bad idea) and I got a 5 in VR!!! I dunno what my deal is, I felt really confident about it too. Everything else was ok except for that, and now thats all I can think about is getting my scores and seeing, "Oh I did good in the sciences, but hey whats that? Oh sweet a 5 in VR!!"

blah, tomorrow I am taking off, playing some pick-up hockey, working on a paper and then watching the Flyers game so I can relax before Saturday when we all **ck the MCAT's world up. AAMC won't even know what happened when they see our tests coming through.

i have a feeling that for the May 10th crew that his is just a formality we have to do before schools will interview us and see what awesome people we are.

Good luck all, lets show how our hard work paid off in the long run.

congrats to you and all, but sorry you people flaunting your 37s just makes me more nervous; I don't need to feel even more inadequate and unprepared than i already feel.

Lol it was probably a fluke...but hey it doesn't hurt to dream big, right?? 36 more hours!!!!

5 was definitely a fluke. Base your projected performance off of your practice tests...and make that a MINIMUM!

Going to go to bed soon. There were no open seats in GA, where I live, so we have to drive to South Carolina tomorrow and stay in a hotel. The first time I took the MCAT and did so poorly, I didn't have anyone to baby me the day of the test and say good luck...bf was working, parents across country, etc. I felt like such a selfish little biotch first asking my parents if they would take me this time and then saying they were going to have to get me a separate hotel room....because they snore.... :p

But hey, this is important stuff!!!

By the way, does anyone know if the test clues you in to how you did at the end? I took the complimentary test from AAMC and as you know, it pops your score up in a jiffy. Does the real MCAT do that?

Obviously there will be a curve based on how everyone does, but does it at least give an estimation? I would like to be able to tell everyone how I did once I'm done (beyond just saying "good" or "bad").

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, does anyone know if the test clues you in to how you did at the end? I took the complimentary test from AAMC and as you know, it pops your score up in a jiffy. Does the real MCAT do that?

Obviously there will be a curve based on how everyone does, but does it at least give an estimation? I would like to be able to tell everyone how I did once I'm done (beyond just saying "good" or "bad").

No, you will have no idea until 30 days after. It will be a crappy wait :thumbdown:

i dont believe so, but that would be sweet if it did...

is anyone else studying today? i def am...ive been studying nearly every day for the past 4 months that i cant imagine just taking a complete day off...nothing stressful jus lookin over major topics...i am sooooo ready to get this over with!

I am really excited about tomorrow because across the street from my test center there is a Stew Leonard's with an ice cream stand. Right after I finish the Bio section, and I am going to rush right over there and get ice cream WITH SPRINKLES.

ICE CREAAAAAAAAAAAAM.

I am really excited about tomorrow because across the street from my test center there is a Stew Leonard's with an ice cream stand. Right after I finish the Bio section, and I am going to rush right over there and get ice cream WITH SPRINKLES.

ICE CREAAAAAAAAAAAAM.

HELL YEAH. :thumbup::luck:

Hey everyone, I was an April 18th MCATer. I just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best of luck. You wont believe how fast it goes by when the day finally comes.

So good luck, you'll do great!!!!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Maxwell, you're MN right? Where are you taking your exam tomorrow, I am at Edina, you?

Nope, U of M.

This is my last correspondence before taking the test, so I leave on this note: show the test no mercy. It would eat you if it could.

But it won't.

We are going to do awesome!!! Best to luck of everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see how everyone thought it went. :)

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh. I've been so calm all day & now I am freaking out. I spent the day relaxing, not studying, & now I wish I had done a practice test or esp some verbal. ehh... anyway, too late now.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE!!! think positive thoughts, & of course think smart thoughts, bc that's really what it's all about.

Wow! It's tomorrow! I was feeling great until I took my last practice test today (AAMC 9) and did REALLY bad. I just didn't put much effort into it. I think I am tired of studying. Hopefully I do better tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

just got home from the exam and i seriously have a huge headache...time to pass out and have nightmares about results day... :eek: i feel like it went okay apart from the PS section. i felt completely rushed. i need to pass...ahhhhhhhh!!!! (have been wanting to scream since i walked out of the testing centre) lol....:thumbup:

Wah~ I felt it was harder than the practice AAMC tests.....*sigh*

But on a positive note, the proctors at my test site were SUPER nice and the test facility was great

The exam wasn't bad overall. I felt I didn't have enough time by the end of my last two bio passages and had to rush one of them.

Wow, I am glad that is over with! I have mixed feelings. I can't really remember much about PS right now because of brain overload, but I think it was harder than the AAMC practice tests.

I ran out of time on reading comp and had to skim over the last passage. I didn't get to read the last two questions, I just chose two bubbles. I hope I didn't miss any questions!

I feel the most confident about BS. Some passages were super easy and some a little tricky. Overall I think BS was my best section.

Come on June 10th! :luck:

wow, I don't know how to feel.... it was definitely harder than any of the practice tests that I have taken thus far. The verbal was a pain in the ***... some questions just kinda made go, "Huh?" One of the BS passages had that same effect.

I guess I am just anxious to see how I did, I tend to operate on instant gratification, so this thirty day bs is totally messing with me already.

Wow, I am glad that is over with! I have mixed feelings. I can't really remember much about PS right now because of brain overload, but I think it was harder than the AAMC practice tests.

I ran out of time on reading comp and had to skim over the last passage. I didn't get to read the last two questions, I just chose two bubbles. I hope I didn't miss any questions!

I feel the most confident about BS. Some passages were super easy and some a little tricky. Overall I think BS was my best section.

Come on June 10th! :luck:
i agree runner898. i also thought that PS was harder than AAMC practice tests. i didnt have enough time to calculate everything. BS was my best section too... it was a relief since BS was always tough for me on the practice tests.

Just got home. F*ck. Thats all i can say. Both my buddy and i felt pretty bad about it. We studied together for 2+ months...and another month on our own. This week was solid 12 hour days. He is very smart; id like to think i am somewhat.

The bio section was TOUGH. The killer for both of us was time. We definitely have a good knowledge base, but to apply it in that little time was a kick in the balls.

Fairly demoralizing considering the amount of time we put in.

Let the drinking begin.

Wah~ I felt it was harder than the practice AAMC tests.....*sigh*

But on a positive note, the proctors at my test site were SUPER nice and the test facility was great

I agree, btw. It started off smooth for me...then got harder. The writing was a freakin breeze. Verbal wasnt horrible...just alot of reading to do in 60 min.

The test went fast...proctors were cool. gave us candy.

It just sucks becasue you feel like you test performance isnt representative of your knowledge and reasoning. It is, i know...but under time you get flustered and have to make semi-educated guesses.

omg the next 30 days is going to be hell. is it just me or was the ENTIRE exam harder than the practice AAMC tests? I took all but AAMC 2 and 4 and I definitely thought that the actual exam (esp PS and the last half of the BS) was wayyyy worse. The practice AAMC's lulled me into a false sense of security. :(

omg the next 30 days is going to be hell. is it just me or was the ENTIRE exam harder than the practice AAMC tests? I took all but AAMC 2 and 4 and I definitely thought that the actual exam (esp PS and the last half of the BS) was wayyyy worse. The practice AAMC's lulled me into a false sense of security. :(
Yeah me too, I don't understand how all of the AAMC tests seemed easier.

Well, since most of us do agree that physics was more difficult than the AAMC practice test although I thought Nova physics prepared me well for it and the last two passages of bio was slightly difficult but doable; I hope their is a very generous curve.

yay im glad everyone felt that PS was hard. i felt quite stupid and inadequate after finishing. thought that maybe i didn't study enough or something. spent all day for the past 4 weeks studying and understanding the formulas and concepts. I was sitting around 10 - 12 in the practice tests but this PS just blew me right off the water.

Just got home from the exam. I have to say, it is a lot tougher than the AAMC practice exam, AAMC 10 gives you only a glimpse of the real thing.

PS-was somewhat tougher than AAMC practice test.

VR-hard as usual, very lengthy passages.

BS-a lot of application questions, more ochem, then I expected. I thought it was tough compared to AAMC.

Well, I am prepared to take the exam again.

hey guys! i've been reading this thread for a while now but only registered now!

i agree with most ppl about PS. i was seriously crunched for time and had to rush my way through the last two passages, which by the way, were tough. i'm glad other ppl thought so aswell, because i was INCREDIBLY nervous when i started so i thought maybe my nerves caused me to mess up an easy section...gah! harder than any of the AAMC practice PS section, although i think easier than kaplan tests...shame the curve won't be as nice as the kaplan one :( when i finished that section i felt like sticking the pencil in my eyeball and just giving up. (i have a dark sense of humour btw).

verbal was fine for me but it's always been my strong point (which will be no good if my PS mark goes down the crapshoot!). essays were fine.

bio was tougher than the AAMC practice ones (passages i found were 'denser' and more convuluted) but i think i did alright i guess. it's just PS that makes me wanna barf whenever i think about that damn test...but seeing as we ALL seemed to find it tough, maybe the curve will reflect that :) here's hoping!

now i'm off to drink myself into oblivion. good luck everyone with the 30-day wait! i'm sure we all did great and our nerves just made us think we did worse than we actually did!!!

i guess i might be the only one, but i didn't think the ps was that bad...

verbal was okay for me too.

bio on the other hand was way way harder than any of the aamc practice tests. i felt like there were some super detailed questions that i wasn't prepared for and the passages were a little longer and worded so they were difficult to understand. i hope there's a decent curve...

Exactly what I learned last summer when I took it.

That's why I wish I had seen a real one before I actually took it so I would know what to really expect and prepare for that test!

I don't know whether any of you had this problem, but I seriously could not for the life of me sleep last night. Believe me, I tried. Consequently, I think the test anxiety coupled with sleep deprivation got the better of me on the PS section before I was able to calm myself down about halfway through it. It was weird 'cuz it was all stuff that I had SEEN before (making me think that I SHOULD be able to do this), and of course the time pressure didn't help at all. Ended up guessing on a few. I thought the verbal passages were long and barely made it through with enough time. BS wasn't as bad as PS, but still some toughies in there as well. I found myself more pressed for time than usual (compared to the aamc practice exams). Also found myself contemplating whether I should void my score at the end, but...you know what they say... curiosity killed the cat. Eesh...it's going to be a long 30 days. At least we made it through today guys. Go out and relax!! :)

I don't know whether any of you had this problem, but I seriously could not for the life of me sleep last night. Believe me, I tried. Consequently, I think the test anxiety coupled with sleep deprivation got the better of me on the PS section before I was able to calm myself down about halfway through it. It was weird 'cuz it was all stuff that I had SEEN before (making me think that I SHOULD be able to do this), and of course the time pressure didn't help at all. Ended up guessing on a few. I thought the verbal passages were long and barely made it through with enough time. BS wasn't as bad as PS, but still some toughies in there as well. I found myself more pressed for time than usual (compared to the aamc practice exams). Also found myself contemplating whether I should void my score at the end, but...you know what they say... curiosity killed the cat. Eesh...it's going to be a long 30 days. At least we made it through today guys. Go out and relax!! :)
ha yeah I gave a long hard thought about voiding

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me who thought it was hard. Especially the PS, but I thought the Verbal and BS were worse than I'd gotten used to as well, although not to the same degree as the PS. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Holy crap. I thought it was an extremely tough test. I thought PS raped me...I was pushed for time and had to guess on a couple discrete questions that I simply didn't have the time to calculate. I thought the questions of the passages with the intense diagrams seemed to be a bit easier than the questions associated with the easier diagrams.

Verbal is always a crapshoot for me so I have no clue. Passages seemed longer than usual but the topics were interesting enough to hold my focus. Was pushed for time.

But ok...bio was HARD AS HELL. MUCHHHHH harder than any of the 15 practice tests I took. And I was a bio major in college. All DNA, RNA, bacteria, viruses, and genetics!!! The lac operon passage....WTF. SOOOOOOOOO hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked it up...we are allowed to talk about general passage topics, just not specific questions.

I didn't think that the test was all bad, although like a lot of you I felt a bit more shaky on the PS than any other part. I had to guess three questions on the wind-turbine passage, but otherwise I didn't think that I was really doing my self any disservice. I struggled with some of the Ochem in the bio, too.

All told, not bad.

dude, that passage was total bull... I read it once and was all "Ok, I understand this..." However, once I read a question or two, my attitude changed to sheer terror... That passage totally messed with me. I don't know that the rest of the section was too bad, but yeah it was way way way heavier on the molecular genetics then I thought it would be.

Just got back from the test. I thought the PS and verbal went alright and I was feeling pretty confident until the BS section bent me over and had its way with me. Very long passages and complex questions that were sometimes very long as well. I feel that no amount of studying would have helped me prepare for some of those bio passages. Time to drink.

oh god. i'd forgotten about that lac operon crap in BS...it pretty much made me wanna **** myself. PS could have gone well i guess, now that i've had some time to calm down. who knows. you're right annie8, bend over was the operative word for that section.