The 5/27/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for those taking the MCAT on May 27, 2008.
I wanted to see if we could get discussions going on how to schedule a game plan to tackle this test in three months time.

I have Kaplan review books and I am going to have to use them cause I dont have anything else.

I will eventually have a regimen on my own personal plan of attack and stick it out here so I can hear your criticisms =]

come on guys, lets shoot for 30+ scores!!!!

-matt

Members don't see this ad.

Game time is about a week away! I think my blood pressure has been high since finals :scared:. Can anyone tell me why I am doing better on the kaplan tests rather than the AAMC?

Its a common theme. Lots of people who can see through the convoluted Kaplan passages tend to do better on them than AAMC b/c of the easier curve.

Hi guys,

I am also taking the mcat on the 27th and thought I would join the group. I am taking it at noon (i think there's also one at 8am?). Anyway, good luck studying.

regarding hoodz post: I think in addition to what tncekm said, people tend to take AAMC closer to the test date (ie after studying for a longer time), hence the higher scores..

Members don't see this ad :)
i can not wait to get this stupid test over with. its making me miserable. after the test, i am going to do my best to stay away from this thread b/c i know it will drive me absolutly crazy to be talking about it every day, guessing how I did, etc. i will post directly after with a prediction and a general comment, and then not return until i see my score to compare with my predictions.

good luck to all !

I have read on the april 18th and 19th thread of many people doing much worse than expected... god I hope that is not us..... On another note.. how have people been doing with their aamc practice tests?

Hi guys,

I am also taking the mcat on the 27th and thought I would join the group. I am taking it at noon (i think there's also one at 8am?). Anyway, good luck studying.

regarding hoodz post: I think in addition to what tncekm said, people tend to take AAMC closer to the test date (ie after studying for a longer time), hence the higher scores..

I too am taking it at noon.

Unfortunately, the opposite seems to be true for me. AAMC is easier, but the curve isn't as generous as kaplan's. Damn kaplan for giving me false hope...

aah - sorry, I misread your post.

Yeah - that seems to be the case. I actually like aamc tests better. The kaplan orgo sections seem a lot worse than the orgo in the AAMC.

Anyway, back to studying..

I have read on the april 18th and 19th thread of many people doing much worse than expected... god I hope that is not us..... On another note.. how have people been doing with their aamc practice tests?

I just started doing these last week, here they are in the order that I did them:

AAMC 3: 29 (9P, 9V, 11B)
AAMC 4: 28 (8P, 10V, 10B)
AAMC 5: 30 (10P, 10V, 10B)
AAMC 6: 32 (11P, 10V, 11B)
AAMC 7: 33 (11P, 11V, 11B)

steady progression! i thought the verbal in 7 was brutal til I looked at the conversion chart. Two of these I did online so they were the shortened tests. I take 1 or 2 days break in between and review.

I've logged >270 hrs of study in the past 3 months since I began. I average about 8 hrs a day. I've done every problem I could get my hands on with the exception of Kaplan. Anything Kaplan is complete garbage.

btw i'm convinced after reading people whine about how some of the practice AAMC's are harder than others, etc etc. Forget all the hype. I think they are all basically equal. What you should probably worry more about is if you are jumping around instead of progressing upward each time. I was worried when my PS score dropped on the second practice so I went hardcore on G.Chem and Physics. It's been pretty good since.

one week til d-day!!!
went to the allergist yesterday and they took my bp...said it was a little high, then i told them i was taking my mcat in a week and they were like "ohh ok"
haha. cant wait til this is over....taking a relaxing break in jamaica after this is over! anyone else have any relaxation plans after this monster test?

one week til d-day!!!
went to the allergist yesterday and they took my bp...said it was a little high, then i told them i was taking my mcat in a week and they were like "ohh ok"
haha. cant wait til this is over....taking a relaxing break in jamaica after this is over! anyone else have any relaxation plans after this monster test?

Nope, but personally anything will be relaxing after this.

I got a 33 on the 2nd Kaplan CD FL test I took today (9/11/13).

So far I've got 31, 29, 36, 33. I'm thinking of taking the AAMC free one (I think it's #3?) tomorrow before taking the last Kaplan test I have.

I wrote a baller-*** essay in 20 minutes - I hope I get something similarly easy to write about on the real deal; that would be a gift. Though a better gift would be a PS that doesn't demolish me :(

Nope, but personally anything will be relaxing after this.

I got a 33 on the 2nd Kaplan CD FL test I took today (9/11/13).

So far I've got 31, 29, 36, 33. I'm thinking of taking the AAMC free one (I think it's #3?) tomorrow before taking the last Kaplan test I have.

I wrote a baller-*** essay in 20 minutes - I hope I get something similarly easy to write about on the real deal; that would be a gift. Though a better gift would be a PS that doesn't demolish me :(
How do you like the Kaplan CD tests? I've got the 2008-2009 Premiere Program CD's, so I'm curious :) thx!

just took aamc 9.

PS 14
V 8
BS 11

Overall I thought the test was okay. I did not think i got a 14 on the PS so i guess i got pretty lucky with some of the questions I was unsure of. Verbal jsut keeps driving me crazy.... i do great on ek 101 but on aamc... i do horrible.... I though biological was pretty tricky with this test. I missed some that I should have gotten and got some that were just lucky..

Oh well.. this thursday or friday.... ill take aamc 10 and see how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you like the Kaplan CD tests? I've got the 2008-2009 Premiere Program CD's, so I'm curious :) thx!

Well, as I said, I was very disappointed to see the first CD test was the same one they administered as a free diagnostic. I felt a little ripped off. The second one had more than one error. For example, in one of the PS problems it asks what the voltage of "the cell" would be - but they give no cell!

There are also errors in the flash cards, like "Sn2 reactions take place in steps" - really? steps? :laugh:

Another mistake from the test was "Which of the following can take place in a vacuum?" Convection, conduction, radiation, energy transfer cannot take place in a vacuum.

Obviously the last choice is wrong, and radiation is unquestionably correct, but as far as I understand it, conduction is not prevented in a vacuum - I think the question is faulty. If I heat up a metal vessel and put it in a vacuum, then dump some water into it, I'm pretty sure the water will heat up via conduction. Am I wrong?

So, overall, I think that it's good practice but I think there are inexcusable errors that would have been caught if they had someone proofread this crap.

I will let you know how the online test is when I take it (probably on Thursday).

Just took AAMC 5 and got 10 12 12 (P V BS)

Which AAMC's are supposed to be the most representative of the real thing? I keep hearing the later ones, 7, 8, 9, and 10; can anyone confirm this?

I am just doing them in order this week until next Tuesday.

Taking it next Tuesday as well. I've been studying for ages, but can't seem to get my score higher than 27. I think a lot of that is because I overthink questions. It's not fun doing that.

Any verbal advice? It's easily my worst area.

Well, as I said, I was very disappointed to see the first CD test was the same one they administered as a free diagnostic. I felt a little ripped off. The second one had more than one error. For example, in one of the PS problems it asks what the voltage of "the cell" would be - but they give no cell!
I hate when that stuff happens!

There are also errors in the flash cards, like "Sn2 reactions take place in steps" - really? steps? :laugh:
Sn2, steps? :lol: Yeah, Sn1 is the one with steps.

Another mistake from the test was "Which of the following can take place in a vacuum?" Convection, conduction, radiation, energy transfer cannot take place in a vacuum.

Obviously the last choice is wrong, and radiation is unquestionably correct, but as far as I understand it, conduction is not prevented in a vacuum - I think the question is faulty. If I heat up a metal vessel and put it in a vacuum, then dump some water into it, I'm pretty sure the water will heat up via conduction. Am I wrong?
Yeah, that does look like a fault answer. If you want tests that are just fraught with crap answers, poor questions, and crappy diagrams, try some Gold Standards!

So, overall, I think that it's good practice but I think there are inexcusable errors that would have been caught if they had someone proofread this crap.

I will let you know how the online test is when I take it (probably on Thursday).
Cool, thanks!

Hey man, since I bought another AAMC test and I wanted to get Kaplan out of the way, I took the Kaplan online test last night from like 8:30-11:30 - it was a disaster, but I think it was because I had been doing MCAT the entire day. Two MCATs in one day probably wasn't a good idea, especially after a heavy dinner.

I wound up getting a 28, 8/8/12 - I made so many reading errors it's not funny. I haven't gone over PS yet, but it seemed a little nuts. Even when I'm not focused, BS doesn't seem to budge from 12-13. I don't know if that's Kaplan's fault or my strength at this point.

So I'm at 31, 29, 36, 33, 28. No AAMCs yet. I have 2 AAMCs (3 & 7) to do, and a Princeton Review test - is that even worth it or should I buy another AAMC?

I'm gonna go review that PS section over breakfast. :corny:

I'm bouncing around a bit.

Kaplan 1: 29 ( 9PS,9VR,11BS)
AAMC 3: 36 (12PS,12VR,12BS)
AAMC 5: 32 (10PS,11VR,11BS)
AAMC 6: 30 (11PS, 7VR, 12 BS) the seven shook me a bit.
AAMC 7: 30 (9PS, 9VR, 12BS)

I think it will all boil down to luck on the real thing for me. If I get a lot of the material that I have down, then i will probably do well. If the majority is such that I have a limited amount of knowledge on. . .then I will probably end up with a thirty.

it's a matter of being tested on the areas I know well vs areas I am still shady on.

areas I am shady on include organic...

im really exhausted of studying.. and by studying i mean doing tests and going over them.. i still have 2 GS tests to do and 4 AAMC. lol.. im thinking of skipping the GS tests since im running out of time. I really hope i break a 30.

EDIT: So im really starting to freak out, so im taking the next two days off from work so i can do FL tests in peace, rather than doing them at night after i work 9-5, when im tired as hell.

Good Luck all!

I'm bouncing around a bit.

Kaplan 1: 29 ( 9PS,9VR,11BS)
AAMC 3: 36 (12PS,12VR,12BS)
AAMC 5: 32 (10PS,11VR,11BS)
AAMC 6: 30 (11PS, 7VR, 12 BS) the seven shook me a bit.
AAMC 7: 30 (9PS, 9VR, 12BS)

I think it will all boil down to luck on the real thing for me. If I get a lot of the material that I have down, then i will probably do well. If the majority is such that I have a limited amount of knowledge on. . .then I will probably end up with a thirty.

I'd say you look good. The Bio on AAMC 7 was tough for me but the curve worked to my advantage on it.

so far on the AAMC i scored as follows:
(in the order i took them in)

AAMC 8R: P 11, V 9, B 10 30
AAMC 3R: P 12, V 8, B 11 31
AAMC 4R: P 10, V 8, B 9 27 :(
AAMC 5: P 9, V 9, B 11 29

(side note: i have done the shorter versions of the tests last year during my first MCAT attempt, so the scores arent truly realistic)

Sweet, I took my first AAMC (#3) and got a 37 (11/13/13). I like it MUCH better than Kaplan. I will reserve my happiness for after I take another AAMC though - what are people's thoughts on #3? Easy/hard?

I definitely liked the format better, and it helps that I didn't have to look out for errors. That's the most obnoxious thing about Kaplan. I think I may go and buy another AAMC and sub it in for the PR. I should really only be taking AAMCs this close to the test, no?

So now I'm at:
Kaplan: 31/36 (same test, taken with a bout 2 months in between)
Kaplan: 29
Kaplan: 33
Kaplan: 36
AAMC 3: 37
AAMC 7:
PR:

Sweet, I took my first AAMC (#3) and got a 37 (11/13/13). I like it MUCH better than Kaplan. I will reserve my happiness for after I take another AAMC though - what are people's thoughts on #3? Easy/hard?

I definitely liked the format better, and it helps that I didn't have to look out for errors. That's the most obnoxious thing about Kaplan. I think I may go and buy another AAMC and sub it in for the PR. I should really only be taking AAMCs this close to the test, no?

So now I'm at:
Kaplan: 31/36 (same test, taken with a bout 2 months in between)
Kaplan: 29
Kaplan: 33
Kaplan: 36
AAMC 3: 37
AAMC 7:
PR:

I personally thought that AAMC 3 was the easiest of the ones that I have taken. Then again it was the only one that I didn't take after staying up all night (others I took around 3AM-9AM). Still, my strengths may be different than everyone elses. I think 5 was harder and the VR on 6 really gave me something to think about. Still, I am confident I will at least get a 30 on the real thing. And if not, I can always retake.

so far on the AAMC i scored as follows:
(in the order i took them in)

AAMC 8R: P 11, V 9, B 10 30
AAMC 3R: P 12, V 8, B 11 31
AAMC 4R: P 10, V 8, B 9 27 :(
AAMC 5: P 9, V 9, B 11 29

(side note: i have done the shorter versions of the tests last year during my first MCAT attempt, so the scores arent truly realistic)

Don't get yourself down. Just tell yourself that it is possible. And try to do at least three more practice tests. The 30 and the 31 are not just flukes, you can definitely get those scores on the real thing. Confidence is definitely the key to this test.

I'd say you look good. The Bio on AAMC 7 was tough for me but the curve worked to my advantage on it.

Bio is pretty much my bread and butter. I am especially strong in genetics and anything involving the immune system. Physical sciences can go either way. If it is a lot of kinematics, circuits, momentum, electrical chemistry, enzymes, general atomic questions, then I do well. If it involves sound waves, rates of reactions, thermodynamics, then I am pretty much making educated guesses. And VR is just one of those things where I either do well or I dont.

My scores for 5 Kaplan tests: 25, 24, 26, 25, 27
My 2 AAMCs: Last week: AAMC 9- 26

Today: AAMC 10- 30! (12, 8, 10)

I finally broke into a 30! What's the key for me to keep it up there and not drop down? I'm not really planning on taking anymore tests though.

My scores for 5 Kaplan tests: 25, 24, 26, 25, 27
My 2 AAMCs: Last week: AAMC 9- 26

Today: AAMC 10- 30! (12, 8, 10)

I finally broke into a 30! What's the key for me to keep it up there and not drop down? I'm not really planning on taking anymore tests though.

IF you aren't going to take anymore tests then you should definitely go over your three lowest score tests. Try to understand how and why you got what you got wrong. That will probably help you get a 30 on the real thing. At this point, there is not much else that you can do.

Well those scores are spread from January until now, so I have been somewhat improving

I have been grading my old tests and writing down mistakes and reasons why

Anything else? I'm going over weak points and doing flash cards

Bio is pretty much my bread and butter. I am especially strong in genetics and anything involving the immune system. Physical sciences can go either way. If it is a lot of kinematics, circuits, momentum, electrical chemistry, enzymes, general atomic questions, then I do well. If it involves sound waves, rates of reactions, thermodynamics, then I am pretty much making educated guesses. And VR is just one of those things where I either do well or I dont.

Sounds like myself, except I usually rely on verbal for a good score. PS is the swing section for me, depending on what's on it. Then again, I've only taken one AAMC and Kaplan seems to be a little ridiculous with the PS.

A few questions about the day of the mcat:

1. Can you pause the real test like you can the practice test? Without any consequences?
2. What are breaks like? Do you leave the room, walk around?
3. Do they give you scratch paper? how much? do they give you pencils/pen?
4. approximately how many people are in a room?

i think that is about it...

good luck everybody!

1. no way jose, you can't pause
2. 10 minute breaks not really sure what else haven't taken
3. yes, yes, yes as much as you need call test center to see whether you get pencil or pen shouldnt matter though
4. my test center has 9 including me, i think thats one of the smaller ones, call your test center to find out

I finally got a 30. lol, I was taking the aamc's in order, and I finally hit gold with AAMC7. For the other four, I got around 26 :(. I'm taking the test on may 31st. The one thing I did differently for this test than for the others was I told myself to pretend like it was the actual test, and so I focused my attention even though I was kind of tired. So yayyy, I just needed to vent my progress somewhere. Also, word to what the others said about Kaplan. I was scoring above 30 on their tests but in the mid 20s on AAMC. hopefully, i can keep up the progress till test day. =)

I finally got a 30. lol, I was taking the aamc's in order, and I finally hit gold with AAMC7. For the other four, I got around 26 :(. I'm taking the test on may 31st. The one thing I did differently for this test than for the others was I told myself to pretend like it was the actual test, and so I focused my attention even though I was kind of tired. So yayyy, I just needed to vent my progress somewhere. Also, word to what the others said about Kaplan. I was scoring above 30 on their tests but in the mid 20s on AAMC. hopefully, i can keep up the progress till test day. =)

that is exactly my scenario!!!! i am trying not to get too excited sense the last two tests ive taken hae been kaplan and 30+ scores. i going to take my last AAMC test (i think #7) to see if i keep the trend up. if anytyhing kaplan has boosted my confidence and i will do well on AAMC and hopefully on the real deal.

this is so annoying. i was happy yesterday to get a 30 (all 10s), but I just finished going over my test today. omg, i made THE most careless mistakes. for some reason it seems I have tunnel vision reasoning, and I will see the answer choice that I like, and kind of blindside the other choices. Does anyone know a good strategy to stop doing that? I think I do it unconsiously.... it is really frustrating that my problem at this point isn't conceptual... it's test-taking skills!

this is so annoying. i was happy yesterday to get a 30 (all 10s), but I just finished going over my test today. omg, i made THE most careless mistakes. for some reason it seems I have tunnel vision reasoning, and I will see the answer choice that I like, and kind of blindside the other choices. Does anyone know a good strategy to stop doing that? I think I do it unconsiously.... it is really frustrating that my problem at this point isn't conceptual... it's test-taking skills!
I do that, too, from time to time. Just force yourself to look at all the answers.

I'm planning on taking AAMC 7-9 this weekend and wanted to know if those are a lot harder than the 3-6 AAMC tests. From what I hear on this forum 7-9 are more reflective of the real thing. My score has gone up 5 points from the very first AAMC that I took and hoping it goes up at least 4 more points.

I'm planning on taking AAMC 7-9 this weekend and wanted to know if those are a lot harder than the 3-6 AAMC tests. From what I hear on this forum 7-9 are more reflective of the real thing. My score has gone up 5 points from the very first AAMC that I took and hoping it goes up at least 4 more points.

7 was pretty easy except for the orgo was a little tricky. i'm doing 10 right now and it's a little trickier than the others but just read the questions very carefully. there is plenty of time on it.

Just took 7 today, 12 11 11 PS VR BS 34

I think VR was on par, about average, PS was a little easier (maybe the concepts they were testing), and BS was pretty hard, the hardest yet (I've gone in order this week of AAMC's starting from 4), the freakin passage with the P2 and P1 was killer and long, and the ochem was pretty tricky. Overall the score is in place with my other ones...

I'l see about 8 tomorrow

Just took 7 today, 12 11 11 PS VR BS 34

I think VR was on par, about average, PS was a little easier (maybe the concepts they were testing), and BS was pretty hard, the hardest yet (I've gone in order this week of AAMC's starting from 4), the freakin passage with the P2 and P1 was killer and long, and the ochem was pretty tricky. Overall the score is in place with my other ones...

I'l see about 8 tomorrow

Can't wait to see how I do on 7 tomorrow. I think I'm going to buy 10 so I can do it on Sunday. No one really told me whether 9 or 10 was more realistic, so I'm going with 10.

And that's it. Saturday I'll go over some study materials and Monday I'll go over 10, 7, and 3 I guess.

I'm getting fed up. I think I'm starting to find errors in my Princeton Review book now as well. Did anyone have trouble with TPR materials? I'm not so sure I like the model exams either.

I don't know what else to do at this point. Kaplan sucks, looks like TPR sucks too. I'm just gonna do those AAMCs I have left and go study my notes I guess.

if i was getting scores in the low 30s right now, like you are, id be shi**ing my pants with glee!
take a breather tweaked...sounds like you are doing just fine! Stress can only hurt you at this point.

For sure man, don't get me wrong. I'm really only nervous about PS since it can really go either way for me - there are some things that I don't have a firm grasp on.

I would do a backflip if I got a 30 or 31 for real!! I'm very happy with my other stats - that's all I need. Check out the thread I made today in the "What are my chances?" sub-forum if you wanna help me pick some long-shots and safety schools.

It's just frustrating to think I was investing so much in Kaplan and the quality is rather poor. I will be a lot less stressed after I take AAMC 7 & 10, and will probably just disregard my Kaplans at that point.

Also, it's kinda hard not to have a lot of pent-up energy right now. I feel like the MCAT is the last thing between me and summer, ya know? I'm gonna go crazy Tuesday night :laugh:

How's it going for you right now?

oh i get ya now...all that love for kaplan and it doesnt love you back the way you need it to.
I am actually getting pretty excited right now because I have increased my PS and BS sections by 2 points since my last MCAT. Granted I didnt score very high last time around...but anyways--I am still happy.
I just havent practiced ANY verbal reasoning...and because of that, I expect ranges from 7-9...but being that I would LOVE an 11, I am going to have to stay up tonight and work on some practice passages.

so all in all...I am more confident than I have ever been...yet I still think I could score higher if I took it in about a month's time.
I have all kinds of physio, anatomy and microbio students making me feel guilty for abandoning them during their finals so i can study for MY test...but I gotta do what i gotta do!

what's wrong with kaplan?

I just know that the PS sections can be really hard and their passages can be really long and tedious to read.

what's wrong with kaplan?

I just know that the PS sections can be really hard and their passages can be really long and tedious to read.

:D:D

Couple that with the amount of typos/misprints/missing information and you've got a load of crap on your hands.

I just took a quiz last night and one of the orgo questions had to do with a compound that only reacts with primary amines, but two of the answers were secondary amines - stuff like that. I have dozens of examples.

It bothers me on PS because, as I said, I'm already struggling; it's no benefit to me if I can't even be sure whether or not I'm right. On bio/orgo questions, I shrug it off because I know the right answer.

I was just going through some of the TPR model exams in my book, and they've got even LONGER passages - sometimes there's a really long passage for just one or two questions. I don't think that's reflective of the actual exam at all.