The 9 to 5 Primary Care Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If opening your own practice in a small town or small city, how much should a primary care physician expect to make today? Working 9-5, not taking any charting home with you, using PA's/NP's as is feasible, but most importantly--spending time with the patient. I know how much time is appropriate is relative, but the sentiment here is that, on the spectrum of time spent with the patient, your practice is on the very liberal end. Without knowing much about insurance and reimbursement rates, lets say you decide to accept all insurance. I know there are startup costs and such associated with getting the office up and running, but what would you put the average physician salary at in this circumstance?

Are we talking 100k/yr with a full schedule? More towards 150k? Obviously money isn't the primary object in this scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really hard to do standalone primary care and not be part of a large system in today's healthcare system in the US due to multiple factors that cost a lot of money. Most primary care physicians are employees and they are told how many patients they need to see for a certain amount of money. If you want to open your own practice, do a surgical speciality perhaps, or become a veterinarian or a dentist.
Malpractice insurance, pa’s / np’s, secretary, billing, utilities, rent, and corporate debt. Apart from hiring more docs if volume permits, what are the other major annually recurring costs that make opening your own practice prohibitive?

I’m employed, but I work small town, 9-5, 4days per week, and make near $300k in primary care.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users