The Adventure Continues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ClinicalABA

Balancing ambition and connection: How do you make
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been about a year since my somewhat impulsive (for the first time in my life!) decision to pull up stakes and head north to Canada. It's been an overall awesome experience. My wife and I have gotten to know each other better and become closer as empty nesters (who had to build a new nest to make it empty!). The kids have stepped up the adulting game, not only paying the rent and utilities on time, but taking good care of the ole homestead back in the states. I get to play ice hockey 3-4 days per week, and have lost ~30 pounds as a result. We are really loving the convenience of urban living (probably the biggest change for a couple of small town country folk). Canadians are super nice, and combined with the cultural emphasis on hospitality or the largely southeast Asian and Muslim population of our current neighborhood, it's just been a very pleasant experience. Oh yeah- my health care is free (!), and things that aren't covered (such as medications: eye exams) are a fraction of the cost in the States. Only issue is that the job I moved here for kinda sucks! Revenue (and thus income) projections were WAY below reality, and there have been some months where, after rent deduction (my apartment is through my job), I literally had a negative pay check! The place wasn't really able to get its act together and convert referrals to clients.

Fast forward to today- I've accepted a new, salaried position as Clinical Director of Child and Youth Services at an agency in the city I live in (Mississauga, Ontario). We financially planned for ~6 months of questionable income, but when that stretched into 7-8 months, I had to cut bait. It was a little complicated, in that I had to secure a new employer specific work permit (fortunately Trump hasn't yet f**ked up CUSMA, so all I had to do was drive a hour or so to the border, hang out in the Niagara Falls NY for an hour, and come back and apply at the border). Also- my current apartment is through my employer, so we have to move. This apartment is a furnished penthouse, which sounds fancier that it is (though it is quite nice and the views are incredible. We were able to find a "Unicorn" apartment to move into. 32nd floor, but with an absolutely huge outdoor terrace/balcony (the previous tenant's kids literally rode their bikes out there). Great views of Toronto downtown. Best part is we have our own gargoyle off or our terrace (see pics- in the pic of the building, our gargoyle is on the right). I might have to give up this psychology stuff and become a supervillain or a
1000002325.jpg
1000002426.jpg
1000002462.jpg
Batman!
 
Just wanted to say as a young PhD student with a serious case of wanderlust that it's really cool seeing established psychologists being adventurous! Economic realities and the pragmatism that comes with that can really crush those naive dreams of early career folk.

TL;DR I'm happy to be reminded that life after 35 doesn't have to suck/be too monotonous.
 
TL;DR I'm happy to be reminded that life after 35 doesn't have to suck/be too monotonous.
This is life after 55! Seriously- set yourself up so adventures are possible, hopefully when you're younger than I am! I never really did anything impulsive or adventurous (if you're a good psychologist and want to check out life in the "51st state" before his Orangeness screws up CUSMA, we're hiring!). I went to grad school where I went to undergrad, less than an hour from where I was born and grew up. Internship and first psych job less than 2 hours away, and moved back to college/grad school town a few years later. I've only ever been to 2 countries in my life (US and Canada), mainly because I grew up pretty poor and am very frugal as a result. This has just been an a great adventure for my wife and I! First job up here was not good (my rent was deducted from my monthly pay, and there have been a few months where I made less than rent!). We prepared for 6 lean months, and im so fortunate to find a really cool job when that one didn't work out.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to say as a young PhD student with a serious case of wanderlust that it's really cool seeing established psychologists being adventurous! Economic realities and the pragmatism that comes with that can really crush those naive dreams of early career folk.

TL;DR I'm happy to be reminded that life after 35 doesn't have to suck/be too monotonous.
1) I think you're making some pretty inaccurate and negative assumptions about work-life, and travel.

2) One of the better pieces of advice I've gotten: Remember to look at the lifestyles of your mentors.
 
1) I think you're making some pretty inaccurate and negative assumptions about work-life, and travel.

2) One of the better pieces of advice I've gotten: Remember to look at the lifestyles of your mentors.
Oh for point 1 I was thinking more along the lines of, ideally, moving closer to family and/or staying near a low cost locality to build up equity quicker RATHER than jumping straight into the cooler and higher cost of living areas (of which I'll lump in international jobs). The lifestyle I want ushers me back to the Midwest.

My fiancée is a Singaporean software developer and we would have liked to live in Singapore post my post-doc, but the salaries for psychologists in Singapore (and even Aus) just make that not at all feasible.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed update! It sounds like quite an adventure and sounds like, other than some crappy job issues, been a great experience for you and your partner. And it's great to hear real life experiences of psychologists moving to other countries, a good motivator to see what's out there.