I hate the used car market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Cinnabon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like I may have a full engine failure during the middle of grad school. Just venting as I know before covid beater cars were reasonable. I'll manage but felt slighted by the universe enough to complain about the market.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, beaters are not really a thing anymore. I just sold an old Honda for $5k that used to be a $1k beater. Financing a new Corolla may end up being a better play long term.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, beaters are not really a thing anymore. I just sold an old Honda for $5k that usex to be a $1k beater. Financing a new Corolla may end being a better play long term.

Yeah, we've bought two new cars within the past 5 years. Initially looked at newer used, but they were only marginally less than new cars with 30k+ more miles. Definitely a different landscape than I was in my 20s.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a reliable car now, but my last "fun" car gave me CPTSD (Car PTSD) w. how expensive everything was to fix and how long (i.e. months) it took to find replacement parts. I drive <6,000/year, so having a car already feels like a waste of money, but mass transit in my city is only mediocre.
Anytime I travel back from somewhere with good public transit I feel scammed.
 
My aunt historically bought used Honda sedans (and often the same model) every 4-5 years for about 30 years. After COVID she bought her first new car in probably over 40 years… if that’s not a sign of the used car market right now, IDK what is.

It doesn’t really make sense to me, though, since one would think all these used cars are sitting around if people are going to new cars more? But maybe that’s the point…?
 
My aunt historically bought used Honda sedans (and often the same model) every 4-5 years for about 30 years. After COVID she bought her first new car in probably over 40 years… if that’s not a sign of the used car market right now, IDK what is.

It doesn’t really make sense to me, though, since one would think all these used cars are sitting around if people are going to new cars more? But maybe that’s the point…?

You can only get a new car if you can afford a new car. Seems like most people can't do that and won't get a cheap new car anyway.
 
Last edited: