Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

the aftermath of failing?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by coconut lime, Nov 22, 2005.

1. coconut lime

coconut lime Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my friend just found out he failed step 1....(please don't attack me for using the word friend, because i'm an MS4 applying to radiology right now....i'm doing this as a favor to someone who is depressed as hell).....i haven't gone through this process myself, but what's the aftermath? do residencies really look that poorly on you? assuming you retake it and do really well, how much does it hurt your chances of getting a good residency position? thanks for your honesty!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ziffy 850

ziffy 850 Member
    7+ Year Member

I really feel for your friend. I went through the same thing and I, myself, am wondering if I will ever match. Failing was the most devastating thing that ever happened to me. I retook the test and did pass, but not with flying colors. I was so nervous the second time around that my score really never represented what I actually knew. My clinicals, so far, are solid, but I don't know if that's going to help enough. I'm pretty frustrated as I'm not sure what will happen. I don't want to do FP or Peds and matching into ER or IM in any decent program will probably be impossible. If anyone has any insight that would be great to share.

4. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I disagree... I totally think you can match into ER or IM, just apply to many programs and not necessarily the top ones.... so many IMG/FMG's get in to IM/ER you will too!!!

5. ziffy 850

ziffy 850 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hope you're right. Thanx for the encouragement.