the aftermath of failing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my friend just found out he failed step 1....(please don't attack me for using the word friend, because i'm an MS4 applying to radiology right now....i'm doing this as a favor to someone who is depressed as hell).....i haven't gone through this process myself, but what's the aftermath? do residencies really look that poorly on you? assuming you retake it and do really well, how much does it hurt your chances of getting a good residency position? thanks for your honesty!

Members don't see this ad.

I really feel for your friend. I went through the same thing and I, myself, am wondering if I will ever match. Failing was the most devastating thing that ever happened to me. I retook the test and did pass, but not with flying colors. I was so nervous the second time around that my score really never represented what I actually knew. My clinicals, so far, are solid, but I don't know if that's going to help enough. I'm pretty frustrated as I'm not sure what will happen. I don't want to do FP or Peds and matching into ER or IM in any decent program will probably be impossible. If anyone has any insight that would be great to share.

ziffy 850 said:
I really feel for your friend. I went through the same thing and I, myself, am wondering if I will ever match. Failing was the most devastating thing that ever happened to me. I retook the test and did pass, but not with flying colors. I was so nervous the second time around that my score really never represented what I actually knew. My clinicals, so far, are solid, but I don't know if that's going to help enough. I'm pretty frustrated as I'm not sure what will happen. I don't want to do FP or Peds and matching into ER or IM in any decent program will probably be impossible. If anyone has any insight that would be great to share.

I disagree... I totally think you can match into ER or IM, just apply to many programs and not necessarily the top ones.... so many IMG/FMG's get in to IM/ER you will too!!!

ocean11 said:
I disagree... I totally think you can match into ER or IM, just apply to many programs and not necessarily the top ones.... so many IMG/FMG's get in to IM/ER you will too!!!

Hope you're right. Thanx for the encouragement.