The art of pimping.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hadn't read this article in quite a while, and was re-introduced to it by a senior resident on my service. I mentioned that surgery was the only field of medicine where natural human functions such as sleeping, eating, and peeing are thought of as weaknesses, and he referred me to Brancati's work.

Anyway, I've attached the PDF. Enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• JAMA-1989-Brancati-89-90.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 596
Reactions: 1 user
I hadn't read this article in quite a while, and was re-introduced to it by a senior resident on my service. I mentioned that surgery was the only field of medicine where natural human functions such as sleeping, eating, and peeing are thought of as weaknesses, and he referred me to Brancati's work.

Outstanding. Simply....perfect. Really I came into this thread to post this:

pimp.jpg_1285636281.jpg

That notwithstanding.....bravo good sir, bravo.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was very good, perfect timing for me being an intern in the middle of the pimpage. I'm going to put this up in our work room.

Since I've become an attending, my pimp question about the dancing uvula of aortic regurgitation has not been answered by anyone. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Hey, while this subject is up I do have a question I hope people more senior than myself would answer: In the OR when the attending starts pimping the resident it goes without saying that jumping in to answer questions is in poor form (and yet I am astounded that people still do this). But what is the best way to gracefully handle this situation when the attending then turns to ask the medical student the same question (and in this uncommon instance the student knows the answer)?

I mean, with junior residents it's kind of an unfair scenario for the resident because while they've been up all night, the student has had the evening to read everything under the sun about a case. How do you walk this tight rope without coming off as smartass, suck-up, douche, or incompetent?

Last edited:
Hey, while this subject is up I do have a question I hope people more senior than myself would answer: In the OR when the attending starts pimping the resident it goes without saying that jumping in to answer questions in poor form (and yet I am astounded that people still do this). But what is the best way to gracefully handle this situation when the attending then turns to ask the medical student the same question (and in this uncommon instance the student knows the answer)?

I mean, with junior residents it's kind of an unfair scenario for the resident because while they've been up all night, the student has had the evening to read everything under the sun about a case. How do you walk this tight rope without coming off as smartass, suck-up, douche, or incompetent?

In my experience so far, the "good" attendings have started off asking questions to med students and if med student can't answer, then he moves on to the intern, then junior resident, etc.

But yeah I can totally see the reverse happening and I would like to know how to handle that situation too.

In my experience so far, the "good" attendings have started off asking questions to med students and if med student can't answer, then he moves on to the intern, then junior resident, etc.

But yeah I can totally see the reverse happening and I would like to know how to handle that situation too.

If you are asked the question directly, then answer it. If you are not asked directly, and a resident has already failed to answer, keep your mouth shut.

If you are asked the question directly, then answer it. If you are not asked directly, and a resident has already failed to answer, keep your mouth shut.

So only answer it if the resident can't answer it, then the attending looks at me and says, "Do you know the answer?"?

Can you elaborate a bit on why we should answer it if asked directly?

The few times I've been in that situation as a medical student, I gave the answer as if I was not really sure if I was right (even though I was).

So only answer it if the resident can't answer it, then the attending looks at me and says, "Do you know the answer?"?

Can you elaborate a bit on why we should answer it if asked directly?

If the attending looks at you and says, "Rollo, do you know the answer," then I think you answer the question. It's silly to purposefully get it wrong or pretend not to know.

If the attending looks at you and says, "Rollo, do you know the answer," then I think you answer the question. It's silly to purposefully get it wrong or pretend not to know.

I feel bad for the resident for not knowing the answer though. Yeah, it's probably his fault that he should have known the answer to a question that a 3rd year med student can answer but I also understand that he's too tired and exhausted to think at that moment in time.

Great article. Thanks for posting it. somehow I have never read it.

I can't believe that no one said this- basic gist of the article. "Pimpin' ain't easy"

Bump. Some lighthearted post-ABSITE reading....

Reactions: 2 users