*The Backup Plan Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your current backup plans for the ever so slight possibility that you may not get into dental school.

Mine will be joining the air force and being a bomber pilot so I can take out my rage and resentment of thin envelopes on foreign corrupt governments.

Members don't see this ad.

but the former could probably be accomplished just as easily and maybe more effectively with a baseball bat.

IcemanDDS said:
Post your current backup plans for the ever so slight possibility that you may not get into dental school.

Mine will be joining the air force and being a bomber pilot so I can take out my rage and resentment of thin envelopes on foreign corrupt governments.

actually its much easier to get into med school than to be a pilot. But I shouldnt expect you people to know something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
vertical bite said:
actually its much easier to get into med school than to be a pilot. But I shouldnt expect you people to know something like that.
Yes that is probably true but I dont want to go to med school. :D

During my year off, I took the summer off...worked on my tan at the beach, learned how to surf, and went out to bars everynite. Then in October, I studied 12 hours a day for a month and rocked the DAT. Interviewed in November, accepted in December. Since december I have been working at the U.S.D.A Vegetable Lab 20 Hrs a week. For 4 hours a day, I play with liquid nitro and watermelon leaves, and the rest of the day is mine to relax, workout, or anything. Personally, Im living in heaven right now....but with Gross Anatomy beggining in June, I know this ride wont last long.

If and when I completely give up on dentistry my backup plan oscillates between med school in the Caribbean, forensic analyst and CIA scientific intelligence analyst. So, I think I better get into dental school.

mochafreak said:
If and when I completely give up on dentistry my backup plan oscillates between med school in the Caribbean, forensic analyst and CIA scientific intelligence analyst. So, I think I better get into dental school.

I don't think you'd have much of a shot at a caribbean med school if you couldn't get accepted to any american dental schools. Now, caribbean dental schools... i wonder about them.

Here's the stats for St. George's University in Grenada, a pretty good caribbean med school.
Average MCAT Average GPA
Verbal Reasoning 8 Undergraduate 3.3
Physical Science 9 Science Undergraduate 3.2
Biological Science 9 Graduate 3.6

Ahh, well I hope you're right about that, because I still think I'd have an excellent chance of being accepted to Caribbean med schools...so I guess I'll definitely get into dental school. :laugh: You do realize that St. George's is the most competitive of the Carib med school's. Some still don't require the MCAT. And, of course, there aren't any Carib dental schools.

mochafreak said:
Ahh, well I hope you're right about that, because I still think I'd have an excellent chance of being accepted to Caribbean med schools...so I guess I'll definitely get into dental school. :laugh: You do realize that St. George's is the most competitive of the Carib med school's. Some still don't require the MCAT. And, of course, there aren't any Carib dental schools.

Huh, there are no caribbean dental schools?!

As for the medical schools, I figured you meant Ross or St. George's. Because with the other ones (from what I understand) it can be really difficult to get back into the US. But if you want to end up living on those white sandy beaches, then they wouldn't be so bad. :p

Here's my back-up plan..

continue going to school and KEEP APPLYING until i get in !!!!

UofT-Girl said:
Here's my back-up plan..

continue going to school and KEEP APPLYING until i get in !!!!

my plan too :idea:

Well, considering that I live in Indiana right now, those white, sandy beaches seem pretty nice. Actually, there are a couple besides St. George's and Ross that are fairly decent. But, I plan on getting into dental school anyhow so it doesn't really matter...I mean come on...the CIA? :laugh: My real backup plan is a masters. :thumbup:

Carribean med schools are really easy to get into. With an MCAT of about 22 you can go. That's roughly a 15 or 16 on the DAT.

ScorpiORTHO said:
Carribean med schools are really easy to get into. With an MCAT of about 22 you can go. That's roughly a 15 or 16 on the DAT.
Well, sounds like yu guys know more about carib. med schools than me. I just know about St. George's cause a buddy of mine goes there. It's def. harder to get in there than to get into a lower-GPA-requiring dental school.

Not to nit-pick here. Well, I guess I am. But I really don't think a 22 on the MCAT equates to a 15 or 16 on the DAT. I feel that a 26/27 MCAT score equates to 22/23 DAT score. And a 22MCAT score would equate to about 17/18 DAT score. But they are very different tests, so i could be full of it.

[QUOTE/]
Not to nit-pick here. Well, I guess I am. But I really don't think a 22 on the MCAT equates to a 15 or 16 on the DAT. I feel that a 26/27 MCAT score equates to 22/23 DAT score. And a 22MCAT score would equate to about 17/18 DAT score. But they are very different tests, so i could be full of it.[/QUOTE]

I took both of them and I studied the same amount for both of them but I took all the pre-requisites and knew lot from them.

MCAT: 11 Biological Sci/11 Phys. Scie / 8 Verbal Reasoning and Essay: O
DAT: 21AA/22TS/15PAT

MCAT i never wanted to take it and took it becasue my parents wanted me to become physician but I wanted to go to dental school since my sophomore year and took DAT with a lots of desire. they both are very different test and you have to study for both of them.

Awara No. 1 said:
MCAT: 11 Biological Sci/11 Phys. Scie / 8 Verbal Reasoning and Essay: O
DAT: 21AA/22TS/15PAT

That's interesting. OK, here's my revised theory. Once you get to a point where you're scoring 27 or 28 on the MCAT, you can score anywhere on the DAT from 22 to 30 (i say that because 22 is around the 97th percentile, and getting any higher is a crap shoot i feel). I'm thinking of the MCAT as being the predictor of DAT score here, not the other way around. I had an AA of 24, and got a 36Q on the MCAT (i was considering med for a time). I retract what I said about comparing lower DAT/MCAT scores - it's too hard to try and compare them.

My backup plan - genetic engineering :rolleyes:

As of recently I was able to trash may back up plan, and its a good thing, becasue mine was to move to the moutains and become a hermit of sorts. :D

Grad school would be nice. My main ambition is to do clinical research anyhow. Plus... getting into dental would be a lot easier with a masters... I think.

-Deebog

i hope that i don't have to do a back up, but if that is the case....

- voluteering at a clinic in a rural community for one week FAR from where i live
- continue to volunteer at the dental school
- i contacted the chariman of pedo (who also wrote me a LOR) to set up research possibilities starting in august
- retake the dat's
- work/volunteer at a private practice for more hands on experience (the dental school won't even let volunteers hold the sucker!)
- maybe try to work with my uncle in a dental lab
- maybe take some upper division classes as a post bac

again, i hope none of us have to implement the back up plan... good luck to those who are still waiting :)

First if I got rejected, I'd get more experience and a master's, maybe social psych, maybe bio, not really sure. If I didn't get in then, I'd probably go back to clinical research, which is what I'm in now. I haven't taken most of the prereqs yet, so worst case scenario, I get a science background that can only help me long term in the field. Plus the career options are pretty cool once you move up.