The best premed major for me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vice Admiral Zoro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know that from the very moment you laid your eyes on this thread's title, you must be contemplating upon the widely accepted belief that it doesn't matter what major you go into as long as you complete the essential prerequisites for medicine. However, for a premed freshman in community college, is it true that doing your prerequisites in junior/community college will lower my chances? So far from what I've seen throughout sdn, I have come to accept the fact that doing upper division prerequisite courses at a 4 year college will be more tolerabe for admission committees rather than doing all prerequisites before transferring. I think to make it possible for me to do all the prerequisite courses in a 4 year institutions, I will have to choose a major that has less transferable courses that happen to be med school prerequisites. Initially I was wanting to transfer to UC Davis's biological science major however the more research I did; I feel like choosing a different major with less transferable courses that happen to coexist as both, prerequisites for UC colleges and med school would work to my advantage. I'm very confused at the moment, I want to get into medical school like nothing else. Please offer me your advice based on personal experience and general knowledge; I also want to know what upper division prerequisites are.... are prereq courses in the lower division not the same as prereq upper level courses? I am lost and I need alot of guidance. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I believe taking some pre-reqs at a 4 year college is best because given that many transfers have difficulty adjusting to their school's courses, you can deal with it before things go awry in your upper-divs.

2) For many UCs (correct me if I am wrong; I obviously speak only about the campus I attend), transfers complete the basic pre-reqs before transferring into a biology major. Most transfers coming in having completed only general chemistry, intro biology, and perhaps physics. It will only be worrisome if you ace gen chem in CC, for example, but consistently fail to do well in your upper-levels or other pre-reqs post-transfer. This is mostly because of study skills and adjustment issues rather than issues with your foundations.

3) Pre-reqs to upper divs are your lower divs. For example, you need to finish the intro bio series before starting upper level genetics, biochemistry, or cell biology. Similarly, your specific major will ask you to complete major-specific "core" upper divs before proceeding to other classes.

I have many friends at UC Davis' College of Biological Sciences. They are very happy with the resources the school provides, not to mention how their campus experience isn't very competitive or stressful.

My suggestion is to go to your CC advisers and ask for a sample transfer plan and aim for a UC. If you are deadset on going into medicine, do some reach on each UC campus. Look for ones with established medical schools as they are more likely to have major academic hospitals nearby and will be more amenable to student involvement. Basically, do some research on what each campus has to offer in terms of pre-med resources.

Okay.. I'm not going to dive into everything you said, mainly because I lost you in the middle of your post, but I can address some parts...

"lower division" prerequisites are the intro classes. Gen Chem, Biology, Physics. All of these are basically "lower Division" since the prerequisite only asks for an introductory course. Organic chemistry and increasingly biochemistry would be the two "upper division" prerequisites that I can think of. Taking some of your introductory prerequisites at a CC is not a big deal, but I would try to limit it to maybe only a couple. Personally, I think it's important for every premed to take organic chemistry in their actual, 4-year college, but this may partially be because I love organic chemistry and have tutored it for a few years now, so I'm biased.. but also, it's because it is a notoriously difficult course for many premeds and so it's important to prove to both yourself and ADCOMS that you can handle it.

Like I'm sure you have heard many times already, I think that you should choose your major based on what YOU are interested in and think you would enjoy.. Not based on overlapping prerequisites or transferability or anything like that. What interests you besides medicine? Do you like physiology, human health and exercise? Is there a particular area of science that especially interests you? Are you interested in computers? Do you enjoy mathematics? History?
These are the questions you should ask yourself when picking a major.. You'll thank me later...

Members don't see this ad :)
can you please expand a bit on medical school prerequisites? isn't it better to do them as upper-division courses given that I attend a community college?
I have heard that many schools frown at prerequisites done in community college..

btw... organic chemistry is already a transferrable pre-requisite to all uc biological science schools.

so if schools want us to do them in a 4 year school then how can I even attend the major i like?

Hi guys, I know that from the very moment you laid your eyes on this thread's title, you must be contemplating upon the widely accepted belief that it doesn't matter what major you go into as long as you complete the essential prerequisites for medicine. However, for a premed freshman in community college, is it true that doing your prerequisites in junior/community college will lower my chances? So far from what I've seen throughout sdn, I have come to accept the fact that doing upper division prerequisite courses at a 4 year college will be more tolerabe for admission committees rather than doing all prerequisites before transferring. I think to make it possible for me to do all the prerequisite courses in a 4 year institutions, I will have to choose a major that has less transferable courses that happen to be med school prerequisites. Initially I was wanting to transfer to UC Davis's biological science major however the more research I did; I feel like choosing a different major with less transferable courses that happen to coexist as both, prerequisites for UC colleges and med school would work to my advantage. I'm very confused at the moment, I want to get into medical school like nothing else. Please offer me your advice based on personal experience and general knowledge; I also want to know what upper division prerequisites are.... are prereq courses in the lower division not the same as prereq upper level courses? I am lost and I need alot of guidance. Thanks in advance!
Hold on there.

Different schools have different requirements for what is "acceptable". Some schools specifically state that community college credit will not be accepted for some courses, and it's pretty school specific as to what courses that may be. If you purchase the MSAR, you can see what requirements each school has and whether community college (or even AP/online) credit is accepted. Even among the UCs, the requirements are different.

Plenty of people have started at community college, gone on to 4 year, and matriculated into medical school. The problem is figuring out which schools to apply to based on their requirements.

Again, get the MSAR. You won't regret it.

okay, well for a course like organic chemistry, which almost every medical school recommends being taken in a 4 year college, how is it possible to transfer from a community college to a specific uc major that requires organic chemistry being taken before you transfer? Could it be that we repeat the course, just to keep more medical schools open for selection.....

Slow down there Pirate Hunter Zoro. You should worry less about Pre-Med coursework, and more about facing Hawkeye Mihawk :)

You're fine transfering to UC Davis' biological science major program. Doing well in upper-level coursework and your MCAT will validate your community college coursework. Also, being able to transfer more credits over would save you a bunch of $$$.

Also, when did you join the Marines? Pirates don't have a "Vice Admiral" rank :p

ahahaha, I always wondered how overly badass a character zoro would be if he was a marine...

on a side note, i care less of the money I need to spend when compared to how much I want attend med school. So money aside, do you think it is fairly manageable for me to complete most of my pre reqs in upper division courses??
and what about courses like organic chemistry or general introductory science courses that I need to do before I transfer?
Should I simply choose a different major in order for me to complete most of the essential medical school requirements after I transfer?
:thinking::thinking::thinking::bang::bang::bang:

Bump....
should've just called this thread, "community college pre requisite dilemma"

Slow down there Pirate Hunter Zoro. You should worry less about Pre-Med coursework, and more about facing Hawkeye Mihawk :)

Also, when did you join the Marines? Pirates don't have a "Vice Admiral" rank :p

I didn't realize you read One Piece!

ahahaha, I always wondered how overly badass a character zoro would be if he was a marine...

He would be among the strongest Vice Admirals probably. Can't say anything more unless you're up to date (no pun intended).

Manga/anime talk aside...

It's school-specific, and you should buy the MSAR to see which medical schools don't accept CC prereqs. Generally, it's not advisable to take prereqs at CC, unless you supplement them with upper division courses. Now, transferring into the UC Davis biology program is fine, since it's your call (I would personally recommend pursuing a non-biology route).

Upper division courses for biology are usually courses like biochemistry (which you need to take), genetics, cell biology, immunology etc. So take few of them and do well, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
He would be among the strongest Vice Admirals probably. Can't say anything more unless you're up to date (no pun intended).
lol im up to date!;)

it's not advisable to take prereqs at CC, unless you supplement them with upper division courses.
Can you expand on this a little, I really find the concept of upper division courses confusing!

I would personally recommend pursuing a non-biology route
Lol why's that? :confused:

i love physics just because it is challenging, but at the same time i feel that I can get a better gpa in biology...
Not talking about cc physics hehehe, I moved from toronto, Canada here to California, I was offered admission to uft however due to some personal reasons me and my family moved out.

i love physics just because it is challenging, but at the same time i feel that I can get a better gpa in biology...
Not talking about cc physics hehehe, I moved from toronto, Canada here to California, I was offered admission to uft however due to some personal reasons me and my family moved out.
If you like problem solving, join a research lab once you transfer! Biology interacts with chemistry, physics, engineering, and even psychology. You might be able to find a lab that caters to both your major and your immediate interest. . . : )

Hard to say. Considering how much he sleeps, he could have ended up like Aokiji. But his need to fight could very well have turned him into a psychopath like Akainu

Hard to say. Considering how much he sleeps, he could have ended up like Aokiji. But his need to fight could very well have turned him into a psychopath like Akainu

You forgot that Zoro gets drunk a lot so he can end up as the Marine version of Shanks.

If you like problem solving, join a research lab once you transfer! Biology interacts with chemistry, physics, engineering, and even psychology. You might be able to find a lab that caters to both your major and your immediate interest. . . : )

Agreed research is a great way to explore the diverse, problem-solving world of biology. And yes, physics is hard so a low GPA is a possible risk.

It's more to do like this: do you like math? What about using math to solve a bunch of problems you see everyday? It does take time and lots of effort, so only pursue it if you are interested in.

Alternatively, do search for any biochemistry or neuroscience related majors. From there, you can enjoy both the biological and physical aspects of medicine, and you can get a high GPA with some effort. I think that'll be your best interest.

Reactions: 1 user
You forgot that Zoro gets drunk a lot so he can end up as the Marine version of Shanks.

Agreed research is a great way to explore the diverse, problem-solving world of biology. And yes, physics is hard so a low GPA is a possible risk.

It's more to do like this: do you like math? What about using math to solve a bunch of problems you see everyday? It does take time and lots of effort, so only pursue it if you are interested in.

Alternatively, do search for any biochemistry or neuroscience related majors. From there, you can enjoy both the biological and physical aspects of medicine, and you can get a high GPA with some effort. I think that'll be your best interest.

How does anyone enjoy physics? Or make that choice before actually taking a physics course?

How does anyone enjoy physics? Or make that choice before actually taking a physics course?

Probably from taking a high school course in physics. Even then, physics is popular because you use math to solve real world problems. Hence why "number addicts" want to pursue quantitative fields like physics and engineering.

Probably from taking a high school course in physics. Even then, physics is popular because you use math to solve real world problems. Hence why "number addicts" want to pursue quantitative fields like physics and engineering.

A number of addicts represents "0.00000000005%" of the population.