The big day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The following, from the NRMP website, was news to me -

On the Monday after Match Week, institutional officials and program directors can view their Match Results by Ranked Applicant in the R3 System. Applicants are listed in the order of the program's rank order list. Displayed next to each applicant's name is the applicant's match status: the program to which the applicant matched, "unmatched," "withdrew" or "no ROL." The report helps program directors evaluate their programs.

So, programs can derive something about your ROL from the above info.

Yes, if you are on their rank list, they will find out where you matched....so they can tell one program you ranked above theirs but still cannot tell the rank # you put them.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, if you are on their rank list, they will find out where you matched....so they can tell one program you ranked above theirs but still cannot tell the rank # you put them.

Let's say you matched at a program that you had ranked #4, do they see what other programs you had ranked above their program? Or do programs not have access to that info once you match with them?
That would make things awkward if you had told them you had ranked them highly, but really didn't right?

Let's say you matched at a program that you had ranked #4, do they see what other programs you had ranked above their program? Or do programs not have access to that info once you match with them?
That would make things awkward if you had told them you had ranked them highly, but really didn't right?

Let's say your rank list is
1. prog A
2. prog B
3. prog C
4. prog D
5. prog E
6. prog F
interviewed but not ranked: prog G

If you match at program D, any of the programs you interviewed at that RANK you (including prog G) will be able to find out where you matched. But they can't tell which position you put them on your rank list. The program you match at (prog D) cannot tell which programs you ranked above them.
For the other programs, if they 'ranked you to match" or they ended up matching candidates ranked below you on their list, then they can obviously tell that you ranked prog D above them - but that's all they can tell.

Let's say your rank list is
1. prog A
2. prog B
3. prog C
4. prog D
5. prog E
6. prog F
interviewed but not ranked: prog G

If you match at program D, any of the programs you interviewed at that RANK you (including prog G) will be able to find out where you matched. But they can't tell which position you put them on your rank list. The program you match at (prog D) cannot tell which programs you ranked above them.
For the other programs, if they 'ranked you to match" or they ended up matching candidates ranked below you on their list, then they can obviously tell that you ranked prog D above them - but that's all they can tell.

Thanks Auscultate, that was a very clear and excellent answer to my question, I appreciate it. :luck:

I agree the whole 'match day' ceremony is a bit old-fashioned. They ought to just post your location, as soon it is verified. Imagine if there was a Step 1 licensing ceremony.

I agree the whole 'match day' ceremony is a bit old-fashioned. They ought to just post your location, as soon it is verified. Imagine if there was a Step 1 licensing ceremony.

Don't give them ANY ideas!

This ceremony can have a very weird dynamic to it. By the time envelopes are handed out, most of the students are pretty drunk, and then about 50% of them get exactly what they want, and then celebrate, while 25% or so get something OK but less than optimal, and still manage to celebrate and another 25% are unhappy, with a small number (maybe 5%) very visibly unhappy

We are in bold